Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Pathfinder Loose Cooling Fan??? Forums > > 2005 Pathfinder Loose Cooling Fan??? 2005 Pathfinder Loose Cooling Fan???
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 11-06-2015, 03:24 PM
2005 Pathfinder

Default 2005 Pathfinder Loose Cooling Fan???

Hey folks, new here.

I have a V6 4x4 2005 Pathfinder. It is the newer body style model (they switched during that model year didn't they?).

I have noticed recently that my radiator/cooling fan (the white one against the motor) is loose. I can grab it and wiggle it a good inch front/back/side/side. It will not slide up or down the shaft, but it is definitely loose. I also cannot pull it off the front of the shaft, it won't actually slide, but it is loose.

Who can help me figure out what I need to replace, and exactly what parts I need?

I know there is an expert out there somewhere who knows where I can find some faqs and part numbers! Thank you all in advance!!!
Old 11-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

2005-2012 is the R51 model. The fan is attached to a fan clutch and a bracket assembly, which incorporated a bearing and flange. In the old days, the fan was attached to the water pump shaft, but the VQ engines have a timing chain driven water pump, which necessitates using the bracket assy.
Most likely you need the bracket assembly due to a worn bearing; it's Nissan P/N: 21046-EA200. There are aftermarket options, but I've seen some problems with some of those that have been installed by members of a Pathfinder forum I help moderate. It's not hard to replace. You have to remove the serpentine drive belt and the fan and clutch. Three bolts hold the bracket assy. on and, if IIRC, the torque spec for the bolts is around 42 ft/lbs, but you may want to double-check to confirm. If the belt has a lot of miles on it, it would be a good time to replace that, as well. I usually recommend genuine Nissan belts (yours is P/N: 11720-EA200) or Bando brand.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:55 PM
2005 Pathfinder

What do you think about driving it in this condition?

To clarify, it is the fan blade itself that is loose, not the shaft the fan is on.

I could really use a few more days before I can get this fixed as I don't think the part is locally available. I have been driving it for a good week or two since I first noticed it was loose so far no issue. But I don't know how "russian roulette" it is driving it this way.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:33 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintufast View Post
What do you think about driving it in this condition?

To clarify, it is the fan blade itself that is loose, not the shaft the fan is on.

I could really use a few more days before I can get this fixed as I don't think the part is locally available. I have been driving it for a good week or two since I first noticed it was loose so far no issue. But I don't know how "russian roulette" it is driving it this way.
sounds like "Russian roulette" with no empty chamber to me
it will be fine until it fails entirely and takes out the radiator, belt, electric fan, and fan clutch along with it
Old 11-07-2015, 07:44 AM
2005 Pathfinder

So I dug into this this morning.

The problem is my cooling fan clutch. The clutch from what I have read is usually liquid filled. It appears all of the liquid has drained out and the fan is nearly locked up. It is also very loose inside of the clutch, which is where the wobble is coming from.

From reading online this is something you don't want to replace without OEM parts. So I am heading to the dealership for parts. The removal wasn't too difficult and I took a few pics if someone wants to tell me how to post pics for this forum I can post a bit of a how-to. Also I used this one to help me
HTML Code:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=4944&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=63431907ee1f788bcb1e7df91859b7c7
Old 11-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Make sure when you get the clutch off, to check the fan bracket shaft for play or roughness when turning so if there's a problem, you don't end up pulling it all apart twice. As far as the clutch, "yes," stick with genuine Nissan, as well.