Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1999 pathfinder hard start Forums > > 1999 pathfinder hard start 1999 pathfinder hard start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 08-24-2015, 11:56 AM
1999 Pathfinder

Default 1999 pathfinder hard start

I have a 1999 Pathfinder with the 3.3L engine, 2x4. All of sudden the engine started getting worse to start (cold or warm). I've been using 87 octane for years an no issues. Only thing I find weird is fuel pressure goes up slowly about 8 to 10 psi after engine is off, then it will come down once it cools. I started using 91 and 93 octane and car runs better and no hard start issues. I have new fuel pump (in fact put a 2nd fuel pump and the same). New ignition (I followed all factory procedures to get it the correct timing), new fuel regulator, don't believe is the idle air control as when warm revs will go up and come down soon after it starts....). Anyways , any suggestions will be appreciated. High octane car will work nice, 87 octane no good. codes I get sometimes are P0158 and P 0160 sometimes. the Knock sensor one is usually present. no miss fire codes anymore. ...............
Old 08-25-2015, 01:31 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandopr View Post
I have a 1999 Pathfinder with the 3.3L engine, 2x4. All of sudden the engine started getting worse to start (cold or warm). Only thing I find weird is fuel pressure goes up slowly about 8 to 10 psi after engine is off, then it will come down once it cools................
Do fuel pressure test. With engine Off, just turn key to On and fuel pressure should be according to specs. Keep it that way for a while to determine if pressure goes down. If it goes down, you have a pressure leak somewhere. Then start engine and pressure should be about the same, may be less 1-2 psi. I suspect a faulty fuel pressure regulator or a leaky injector(s).

Also check if fuel delivery system is Return or Returnless.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:50 PM
1999 Pathfinder

Thanks for the reply. Fuel regulator is new (about 2 months), fuel pressure will be between 32-34 psi and with key off it will hold pressure for hours. If I was using SUV, fuel pressure will go up about 8 psi for about 20 to 30 minutes, stay there and then come back to 30, 32 psi. If I take vacuum line from fuel regulator it will go up about 10 psi (as it should). I put pressure air through the fuel return line and it seems all ok (seems to actually inflate fuel tank and the extra pressure makes gas to come out back through the return line).
Old 09-29-2015, 09:31 AM
Enthusiast
1995 Maxima

does the starter hesitate while starting? if so you may have a weak (poor) grounding. i have a maxima where the main negative cable is bolted to the engine block & the starter sits on top of the transmission. in time, the contact surfaces of the lock washers (bottom of the transmission mounting bolt heads & the transmission housing) oxidized, thus poor ground. ideally those lock washers surfaces should be shiny cleaned (& their corresponding contact surfaces) but it's pita. suggest you install additional ground wire from the battery - & the other end to the transmission housing (or to one of the starter mounting bolts). i used 3 #10 (paralleled, all of the same length), bunch one end with #6 terminal O-ring & slip though one of the transmission mounting bolts. other ends, each with #10 terminal O-ring & slip through the bolt at the battery negative. again, make sure all contact surfaces are shiny cleaned (both sides of the lock washer, bolt head & transmission housing). also clean the main negative cable terminal which is bolted to the block. please post whatever you did to resolve the problem.

sorry i'm not familiar where the ground cable is connected to your suv. if the ground cable is connected to the transmission housing, you don't need to install additional ground wire to the transmission housing, just clean the terminals (both ends, at battery & transmission housing. you may want also to clean both sides of the lock washers (& the contact surface areas of the starter & bolt) of starter mounting bolts. the intent here is to make good electrical connection between battery negative & the starter housing.

Last edited by OilCanObserver; 09-29-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:48 PM
1999 Pathfinder

Well, thanks for the reply. What I did was hanging gas brand by accident and it has worked wonders. I started using 87 octane from PUMA brand (which I though was the worse) one night and it worked wonders (starting perfectly every time). Now if I change brands it will hard start unless I use higher octane gas from other brands or the 87 octane from Puma will work. I guess we are getting very bad gas down here.... probably not whats being advertise................

Tags
1999, hard, pathfinder, start