Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Gas pedal hard to push after stop on PathFinder 96 Forums > > Gas pedal hard to push after stop on PathFinder 96 Gas pedal hard to push after stop on PathFinder 96
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 05-18-2007, 11:48 AM
chinhminhdo

Default Gas pedal hard to push after stop on PathFinder 96

It doesn't happen all the time, just about 30-50% of the time. After stopping at red light or anything, my gas pedal becomes "stuck" and is hard to push down. If I push hard and the car takes off very fast! Once it unsticks, it is ok until I stop again. Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it?

Please help.

Thx
Old 05-18-2007, 12:40 PM
97PathfinderSE

Hey there!

Mine does the same thing sometimes and I found that the faster I took my foot of the accelerator to where the pedal would come back up faster...the more it was stuck. If I ease off the gas real slow and gentle then it isnt bad. I haven't began to troubleshoot it because it hasnt bothered me that much but I would try poking your head down where the linkage is behind your pedal and see if it is rubbing on something or just needs to be WD-40'd. Thats my guess...I'll try it on mine too :) Good luck!
Old 05-18-2007, 02:11 PM
2015 Rogue

Carbon build up in the throtlle body causes the throttle plate to stick. You need to clean the throttle body.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Tech Enthusiast

06,08 Pathfinder & Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
Carbon build up in the throtlle body causes the throttle plate to stick. You need to clean the throttle body.
Oh so right! I cleaned mine last month and runs like new! :)
Old 05-20-2007, 12:31 PM
2000Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
I second that. My was like sticking, I cleaned the throttle body and now is smooth.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:04 AM
Ken

Yep go to the auto shop get a can of throttle body cleaner follow the instructions and it will be brand new

HEY GUYS GREAT TO SEE WE HAVE Smileys NOW :stuart::stuart::stuart:
Old 10-25-2008, 03:11 AM
chingchel

Hi,

I am having this kind of problem too. Can anyone tell me how to clean the throttle body? I might remove some rubber tubes and not return it back correctly. Can someone show some procedures on doing it?

Thank you very much.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:14 AM
masihano1

Default stuck gas accelerator nissan sentra 02

Would be really great if some one can summarize how to clean the throttle body that causes this stuck accelerator issue. i have had this issue for months now :-(
Old 12-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by masihano1 View Post
Would be really great if some one can summarize how to clean the throttle body that causes this stuck accelerator issue. i have had this issue for months now :-(
take off the boot that is clamped to the throttle body. From there, gently spray (carburetor or throttle body cleaner) the throttle plate that has carbon build up. You'll have to push the throttle plate in to get the carbon that's built up on the other side. Use a clean towel and wipe it clean and dry.

Be sure to spray the throttle plate hinges also, build up of carbon for sure in there.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

i like to do this while my engine is running.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by momud View Post
i like to do this while my engine is running.
I couldn't do it with the engine running on my 95 Pathfinder. I took the boot off and wouldn't start.

I could do it on my Dad's 86 Bronco II, though.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:57 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Before you clean your throttle body insure you disconnect the battery before you move the throttle plate as you will damage the throttle body and will get a 507 code for hi idle. This applys to all "fly by wire"systems.Also don't just spray inside the body but spray on a clean cloth and wipe the inside to remove the carbon build.The old style bodys can be cleaned by just spraying to remove the build-up. For those that have had the battery disconnected when you reconnect you must do the throttle relearn proceedure as outlined in the service manual along with the idle air/volume learn proceedure.Did mine and forgot to disconnect the battery and fryed the throttle body!
Old 12-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

^^^ really? mine had never such issues. hmmm it ran just fine and there sure was no visible plate on mine.. it had the central injectors in there though. hmmm

Tags
gas, hard, pathfinder, pedal, push, stop