Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
p0300 and Loud Noise Under Drivers Floorboard Forums > > p0300 and Loud Noise Under Drivers Floorboard p0300 and Loud Noise Under Drivers Floorboard
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 08-10-2015, 08:46 AM
2006 Pathfinder

Default p0300 and Loud Noise Under Drivers Floorboard

I'm getting a p0300 code which can be a lot of things. I'm also getting very loud "engine" noise under the drivers floorboard only during heavy acceleration. It doesn't happen under mild acceleration on a flat surface. Also It's not an open exhaust noise. I'm thinking it is probably a clogged left front CAT. Anyone else ever have this problem or can confirm this?

By the way, the plugs and coil packs are new but I wouldn't that would cause the noise

Last edited by reccitron; 08-10-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:05 PM
2015 Rogue

It is likely that the misfire overheated the converter and caused it to melt. You should be able to see the damage if you remove the front exhaust tube. You will need to fix it asap as it will damage the engine .
ASE Master Certified.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:18 AM
2006 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
It is likely that the misfire overheated the converter and caused it to melt. You should be able to see the damage if you remove the front exhaust tube. You will need to fix it asap as it will damage the engine .

I dropped it off at the repair shop. Its only about 5 miles and I babied it on the way so hopefully I didn't do any damage.

Last edited by reccitron; 08-11-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:58 PM
2006 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
What will it damage in the engine?
Old 08-11-2015, 04:14 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccitron View Post
What will it damage in the engine?
When the material in the converter melts is comes apart. With modern engines they use valve overlap to cool the combustion chamber to reduce nox emissions. Both the intake and exhaust valves are opened momentarily at the same time allowing exhaust gasses to get sucked back into the cylinder to cool it. When this occurs the loose particles of the catalyst material enter the cylinder and score the cylinder walls causing the piston rings to not seal against the cylinder wall. The first sign of trouble is usually oil consumption and then a misfire in the affected cylinder.

Tags
drivers, floorboard, loud, noise, p0300