Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Camshaft position sensor at front of engine? Forums > > Camshaft position sensor at front of engine? Camshaft position sensor at front of engine?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Anybody else see the part as described?
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2015, 12:04 PM
jimayers

Post Camshaft position sensor at front of engine?

Hi everyone - On my 05 pathfinder LE there are 3 sensors at the front of the engine where the camshaft gears look like they are housed. I took one out and it looks like the camshaft position sensor everyone talks about being at the back of the engine.

What are those if NOT the camshaft position sensors?

I have attached a pic. One is of my V6 3500 and the other is a pic off internet but shows the front in which I circled where the sensors in question come from.

FYI...sorry if this is posted twice, the site went bead after I selected "submit"

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Camshaft position sensor at front of engine?-05-pathfinder-cam-sensor1-jpg   Camshaft position sensor at front of engine?-front-engine-jpg  

Last edited by jimayers; 05-09-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:52 PM
jimayers

OK...I cleared the codes and drove my pathfinder around and logged no new codes. I took off the connector from the passenger side sensor (the one in easy reach in front of vehicle) started the car, read the code P0340. Camshaft sensor bank 1. Cleared it, put the sensor back together...no codes.

Did the same on the drivers side, code P0345, bank 2.

I should just assume that these are indeed the camshaft position sensors....But everyone, including Nissan Service Dept, tells me they are in back, crammed between the engine and the firewall.

Frustrated!!!
Old 05-10-2015, 03:18 PM
2015 Rogue

The cam sensors are on the backside of the engine. The sensors on the front are for the vtc gears.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:47 PM
jimayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
The cam sensors are on the backside of the engine. The sensors on the front are for the vtc gears.
OK...but if these sensors on front of engine (for the VTC gears) can throw the P0340 code when disconnected, how do I know if it is the VTC gear sensor or the camshaft position sensor?

Is there a difference in location between the 4L and the 3.5L engine? I have the 3.5L and everyone else seems to be talking about the 4L
Thanks for getting back with me - Jim A
Old 05-11-2015, 03:45 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimayers View Post
OK...but if these sensors on front of engine (for the VTC gears) can throw the P0340 code when disconnected, how do I know if it is the VTC gear sensor or the camshaft position sensor?

Is there a difference in location between the 4L and the 3.5L engine? I have the 3.5L and everyone else seems to be talking about the 4L
Thanks for getting back with me - Jim A
If you have a 3.5L then you don't have a 2005 Pathfinder.

Tags
camshaft, engine, front, position, sensor