Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
P1446 Forums > > P1446 P1446
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 08-17-2013, 06:49 AM
2001 Pathfinder

Default P1446

I have had a P1446 code on my 2001 Pathfinder. I have replaced the evap canister vent valve solenoid and the same code reappeared after driving 16 miles. My mechanic looked at it and suggested replacing evap purge control valve and ECU. I tried a new purge control valve to no avail. Not ready to replace ECU yet until I can get a better diagnosis. I have a hard time believing that the ECU is malfunctioning. My OBD scanner communicates fine with it and reads the code. I also noticed that I cannot pump gas at full speed. The gas handle releases every few seconds if I press it all the way. Gas doesn't come splashing back but I have to fill up at a slow speed. I'm not sure what else to try. I only have two weeks left to pass the smog test which I have failed twice already. I have read extensively on the web about the p1446, the evap system on the Pathfinder and I'm stuck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

One more note: the vent valve solenoid that I installed was not a Nissan part but a bought at Napa. Could that make a difference?
Old 08-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

The P1446 code is for the EVAP canister vent control valve and the code is set when the ECM detects that the valve remain close during even when the ECM send the signal to open . The ECM detects that the valve is closed because the pressure of the EVAP system is too high (Note that the valve may be working but if the valve or canister is clogged, the result is the same).

Since you know that the valve is OK then there are two things you need to check. You could have a clogged EVAP canister or a faulty EVAP system pressure sensor.

The most common problem is the clogged canister. Water gets inside the canister and don't let the vapor pass trough, which could explain the hard to fill up situation. You should remove the EVAP canister and check if there is water inside.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:33 PM
2001 Pathfinder

I took the evap canister off. There is not water inside but when I tap it some carbon particules fall out. If I blow air in the purge tube air is coming out of fuel tank tube. Can the evap canister go bad? Is there another way to test it?
Old 08-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

If carbon particles fall out, it means that the canister is damage. Inside the canister there is a bag of carbon pallets, which are the ones that clean the fumes from the gas tank. If the bags brakes all the carbon pellets will clogged the EVAP system. Unfortunately the only solution is to replaced the canister and clean all the passages and hoses of the EVAP system. Sometimes small carbon pellets will go inside the EVAP Pressure Sensor or the EVAP Purge Volume Control Valve, and those valves may need to be replaced as well.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:05 AM
2001 Pathfinder

Where is the evap pressure sensor located. Is it under the car or in the engine compartment (Pathfinder 2001)? Or is it along the lines between the evap canister/control valve solenoid and the engine? Like somewhere under the car behind the spare wheel?
Thanks for all you help so far Nissan Tech!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

The pressure sensor is next to the canister (not attached to the canister, but close).

P1446-capture-png

P1446-capture2-png
Attached Thumbnails
P1446-capture-png   P1446-capture2-png  

Tags
p1446