Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
`01 Pathfinder leaks & shocks Forums > > `01 Pathfinder leaks & shocks `01 Pathfinder leaks & shocks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 04-28-2013, 11:38 AM
2013 Maxima
2001 Pathfinder

Default `01 Pathfinder leaks & shocks

We have a 2001 Pathfinder LE w/ 4 x 4 with approximately 123,000 miles and drive it approximately 6.5k miles per year. All service work has been done by Nissan dealers. The vehicle is in generally good condition – everything works, it drives and looks good however we have a couple of oil leaks and I am considering replacing the rear shocks and possibly the front struts. We plan to keep the vehicle as long as it, or we, get down the road.

First the leaks; neither are serious but they are a nuisance and cause us to keep a cookie pan under the front end. The leak has progressed from a drop or two at 108k to where we lose approximately 8 oz. of oil between (3,750 mile) oil changes. The source has been diagnosed as a leaking rear main seal. Various mechanics have advised us to “let it leak” until it gets worse. I will not perform this expensive repair if we do not have confidence that the second one is repairable as well.

More problematic is the leaking right front axel. The right front differential seal was replaced at 108k miles. The axel was found to be leaking again approximately one year later at 112k. We were first advised that the seal was replaceable then that it was not (although we were charged to replace once before) and the whole axel would have to be replaced to fix the leak. As we seldom use the 4x4 we were advised that it would only leak when used and to “let it leak”. At this point only a modest amount of fluid leaks but we are reluctant to use the 4x4 or use the vehicle for long trips.

Does anyone know if the front axel seals are replaceable and if so are there any other replaceable parts in the axel assembly that could be the source of the problem?

We did not buy the Pathfinder for its smooth ride. However, and while the vehicle passes any “bounce test”, it seems as if it rides rougher especially in the rear and especially on the rebound. There are no leaks or noise from the shocks/struts and there are no control problems.

Does anyone have any experience with shock/strut life on these vehicle and what sort of life I should look for?
Old 05-18-2013, 12:09 PM

2002 pathfinder

Bump

I have a similar leak in the passenger side front axel. does anyone have a DIY on this or a schematic from a service manual. More of a nuisance at this point, couple of drops every couple of nights. I am searching the rest of this forum and will do the same on other forums. I will post any successes.
David

2002 4X4 SE 135K miles,

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/2001/

Found the service manuals over here. good luck, doesn't look too bad

Last edited by djengr; 05-18-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Tags
leaks, pathfinder, shocks, `01