Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Need help with cylinder #2 misfire Forums > > Need help with cylinder #2 misfire Need help with cylinder #2 misfire
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 03-31-2013, 11:24 AM
1998 Pathfinder

Default Need help with cylinder #2 misfire

Hello,
Started my PF up this morning and it did not run right and get a cylinder #2 misfire code. After looking into I found the this (see pictures) mangled and am guessing this is the problem. Also there was quite a bit of shredded foam in and around the plug. I think this was something I ran over on the road maybe since I cannot find anything similar anywhere in or around the engine.

What is the mangled part called and can I buy a new one and replace it? The first pic is of the mangled one, the second is of one in good shape.

Would I just cut into the plastic cable shroud to rewire a new part?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with cylinder #2 misfire-p3311282-jpg   Need help with cylinder #2 misfire-p3311281-jpg  
Old 03-31-2013, 02:04 PM
1998 Pathfinder

I figured out that I need a fuel injector pigtail but no auto parts stores near me carry them. Does anyone know if the dealer will have these or should I just order one online and wait for it to arrive?
Old 03-31-2013, 06:13 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

there's no doubt those bare wires are the problem causing the misfire. i can see one wire completely broken off from the connector. you will definitely need a new harness with connector. you can talk to a Nissan dealer parts dept. the alternative to that is if you can find a good injector harness in a salvage yard for your model. sometimes parts can go back 1 year and forward 2 yrs. so compare the # of pins and wires and same color with your model. you then splice using a heat shrink and wrap in electrical tape. when splicing cut one wire at a time so there's no confusion.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:24 PM
1998 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyb53 View Post
there's no doubt those bare wires are the problem causing the misfire. i can see one wire completely broken off from the connector. you will definitely need a new harness with connector. you can talk to a Nissan dealer parts dept. the alternative to that is if you can find a good injector harness in a salvage yard for your model. sometimes parts can go back 1 year and forward 2 yrs. so compare the # of pins and wires and same color with your model. you then splice using a heat shrink and wrap in electrical tape. when splicing cut one wire at a time so there's no confusion.
Thanks,
I will be calling a Nissan dealer tomorrow and if they are out I can order 1 here. There are only 2 wires and I know which one goes where.

1998 NISSAN PATHFINDER Wiring Connectors and Pigtails - Fuel injector connector pigtail Wire Connector Style - V6 Engine Type - SummitRacing.com
Old 03-31-2013, 07:31 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Looks to me like rodent damage! Mice love Nissan wiring; I think they make the insulation out of cheese! I had a guy with a 95 Maxima who's engine wiring I had to fix 3 times in a 6-month span due to mice chewing it up.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:21 AM
1998 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
Looks to me like rodent damage! Mice love Nissan wiring; I think they make the insulation out of cheese! I had a guy with a 95 Maxima who's engine wiring I had to fix 3 times in a 6-month span due to mice chewing it up.
That would make sense with all the small foam pieces I found in the area. I really don't think the foam came from the car but I will post some pics in a bit.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:27 AM
1998 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post

It's fixed now. My local dealer gave me a clip and it runs fine now.

Tags
cylinder, misfire