Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2001 EVAP Problem (Warning: Long) Forums > > 2001 EVAP Problem (Warning: Long) 2001 EVAP Problem (Warning: Long)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 02-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Pathfinder
2001 Sentra

Default 2001 EVAP Problem (Warning: Long)

Guys, I'm at my wits end here. I've head this problem for a while.

BTW, I had the fuel filler neck replaced (nissan recall) couple of years back.

2 years ago, I started smelling gas whenever I parked my car. No DTCs for a whole year. slightly over 1 year ago, DTC P0440 came out.

I changed the fuel filler cap (Nissan part), charcoal canister (nissan part) and vent control valve with (aftermarket Dorman). Didn't help with the gas smell and same DTC 0440 came back few weeks later.

I brought it to an indy garage and he smoked the EVAP system. Said gas tank was rusted around the inspection port (fuel pump port), causing it to leak. He replaced the gas tank and seal.

He claimed the DTC self-reset after the work was done. I could still smell gas faintly but not as bad as before repair. Some EVAP code came back after 2 weeks. He tried smoking it again but could not find any leaks. he says it was the aftermarket vent control valve. I cleared the codes but it would come back after a week.

So about 8 months ago I decided to take it to nissan dealer for diagnosis. 1 hr later, they said they could not acertain where the leak was coming. I had to authorize another 1.5 hrs for diagnosis. PHUEY!!! I replaced the vent control valve (original nissan part) myself. I cleared the codes, but there was still a faint smell of gas. Now 8 months later, DTC P0440 and P1441 shows.

How can I take care of this problem? Help! Would it be the EVAP pressure sensor?

Last edited by sawdusted; 03-11-2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: clairified info
Old 03-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast
2013 Altima

Possible, but not likely. If your fuel tank was badly corroded, there's a good chance that other Evap hoses are rotted out too. Usually, a bad EVAP pressure sensor will cause a purge volume control code.... Basically, it's receiving manifold vacuum and the voltage should drop due to the pressure change. If it doesn't, it knows its not purging and it will set that code... Technically, the pressure sensor has a seal that can leak, but that would show up in a smoke test. You can rule out the EVAP pressure sensor.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:57 AM
2015 Rogue

There is a solenoid near the evap canister that usually falls apart due to rust.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Pathfinder
2001 Sentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
There is a solenoid near the evap canister that usually falls apart due to rust.
MPE,
Is that the vent control valve (solenoid) that is attached to the evap canister? I had that replaced (original Nissan part) and it only lasted 8 months before the same code reappeared.

I also notice there is also a EVAP pressure switch/sensor next to the solenoid. Could that be the problem? Do those go bad?

Tags
2001, evap, long, problem, warning