Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 Pathfinder R50 starter removal Forums > > 2003 Pathfinder R50 starter removal 2003 Pathfinder R50 starter removal
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 12-30-2012, 04:14 AM
2003 Pathfinder

Default 2003 Pathfinder R50 starter removal

Hello All,

Has anyone got a step by step procedure for removal/replacement of the starter on a 2003 Pathfinder with a VQ35 engine they can post or send please.

I have seen a couple on the net for earlier models but not this one.

Space looks very tight

Thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I looked up the R&R procedure on ALLDATA and here's what it game me:

Removal And Installation

Big help, aren't they? :/
Old 12-30-2012, 10:08 AM
2003 Pathfinder

Hahahahaha, yeah exactly!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:57 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Pathfinder
2001 Sentra

Pretty straightforward.
Remove battery negative cable, Remove splash cover and remove electrical connections.
Remove 2 bolts holding starter in.
Install is reverse of above.

Last edited by sawdusted; 12-31-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:17 AM
1998 Pathfinder

Default Do you read the request at all?????

THIS IS STUPID....ALL YOU EVER DO IS SEND TOTALLY IRRELAVANT INFO BACK TO THE REQUEST FOR INFO. IT WOULD BE MORE APPROPRIATE TO NOT EVEN REPLY. I am surprised the forum is still letting you post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
I looked up the R&R procedure on ALLDATA and here's what it game me:

Removal And Installation

Big help, aren't they? :/
Old 03-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IYMLUCKY View Post
THIS IS STUPID....ALL YOU EVER DO IS SEND TOTALLY IRRELAVANT INFO BACK TO THE REQUEST FOR INFO. IT WOULD BE MORE APPROPRIATE TO NOT EVEN REPLY. I am surprised the forum is still letting you post.
This was not the original image I posted, which was that of a starter taken from ALLDATA. For some reason, whenever I post an image copied from ALLDATA, it gets changed to some other image. I'm not sure why, but it's apparantly an issue with this forum's software.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:22 PM
2001 Pathfinder

Pictures would help
Old 07-13-2013, 11:05 PM
2001 Pathfinder

Question Really that easy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdusted View Post
Pretty straightforward.
Hi sawdusted,

Sorry to resurrect this old post, but I have to do this tomorrow, and this is the most specific response I've found after an hour of google searching. Have you actually done a starter replacement on your Pathfinder and it really was this easy?

I've found several references about having to remove the half shaft, or unbolt and jack up the motor to get the starter out. If it is really a bear I don't want to break into it on a Sunday and get stuck.

Thanks.

Last edited by colinnwn; 07-13-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: jacking up motor, not removing a bunch of other misc. parts
Old 07-14-2013, 10:19 AM
2001 Pathfinder

Default Well that didn't happen...

This was a no-go, and reflects poorly on the FSM for not spelling out the R/I procedure for a common service item. Here is some information for anyone in the future that finds this thread and thinks they might try it with anything less than advanced backyard mechanic skills and alternative transportation.

Specifically for a 2001 with a VQ engine and manual tranny, though I can't imagine it being much different for any 2001-2004 Pathfinder or QX4 - The bottom mounting bolt is easy to get at, the top mounting bolt would be hard but not impossible. I think I could yoga the starter out by going down and straight back while rotating it, but i'm not certain. What is completely unreasonable to get at is the positive terminal. There is no access or removable splash guard panel behind the wheel. From directly underneath there is no room around the engine mount to get any kind of wrench on there. Moving forward from underneath the A member is in the way. If you had the hand and arms of a 5 year old except 18 inches long, you could get at it from the front of the truck behind the front splash guard, due to the inflexible power steering hose.

I think the method must be to remove the entire power steering rack, and possibly the alternator too. Though honestly if a mechanic told me he had to drop the entire front suspension and drivetrain, after trying to figure it out myself, I'd believe him. It is times like these I tell myself I'll never buy another Nissan. But really they've mostly been affordable and reliable. I hope I can get out of the mechanic's shop for less than $500, which is obscene for anything less than a luxury car starter.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:07 PM
2001 Pathfinder
1989 240SX

Exclamation 2001 Pathfinder R50 Starter Removal/Install Answers

Yes, it took me 3 hours also (1 hour of work and 2 hours of frustration) - but Here is the info you need to cut this job to 1 hour.

I'm assuming you already know how to disconnect the battery and remove bolts......

1.) If working on jack stands - remove the RF tire - you will need the room to work.

2.) Use a 1/4" drive ratchet and 12mm socket to remove the main power lead from the solenoid. There is no way to get 2 hands in there to hold the rubber boot up and get a wrench on it. The socket can do both.

3.) Release the wiring harness clip from in front of the starter - this is necessary to move the harness out of the way.

4.) MOST IMPORTANT*** after the starter is loose and the wiring is disconnected, turn it so that the solenoid is ON TOP and carefully angle it down and remove BEHIND the front axle. Again, the harness will have to be pushed aside to get the right position.

DO NOT (as I did) try and rotate the starter with the solenoid down - or you will waste 2 hours cursing at it... and still not get it out.

After you figure out the position, it really isn't that bad.

On Reassembly, the only real trick is to again use the 12MM socket & ratchet to put the nut on over the power lead... otherwise straightforward.
Save

Tags
2003, pathfinder, r50, removal, starter