Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Struts And Shocks 06 Pathfinder When ?$$ Forums > > Struts And Shocks 06 Pathfinder When ?$$ Struts And Shocks 06 Pathfinder When ?$$
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 10-08-2012, 06:26 PM
2006 Pathfinder

Default Struts And Shocks 06 Pathfinder When ?$$

I have 78k on 2006 pathfinder should i have Struts and Shocks Etc.. replaced? How much $$ im looking at? and any suggestions on what brand shocks struts. or does it not matter? Much appreciated
Old 10-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Pathfinder
2001 Sentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmen11 View Post
I have 78k on 2006 pathfinder should i have Struts and Shocks Etc.. replaced? How much $$ im looking at? and any suggestions on what brand shocks struts. or does it not matter? Much appreciated
KYB GR-2 are OEM replacements.

If the ride quality is not too much different from when new, I would not bother changing it. Shocks are about 80 for pair and 1.5 hrs labor. Struts are about $200 without springs and $400 with springs and add in about 2 hours to 2.5 hrs labor.

HTH
Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 PM
2006 Pathfinder

Thanks HTH. Just seems to hit those holes little harder recently?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Pathfinder
2001 Sentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmen11 View Post
Thanks HTH. Just seems to hit those holes little harder recently?
Actually HTH = hope this helps

My Bad, the labor for changing out the shocks in the rear is probably an hour or less. It's just 2 bolts, one on each end of the shock. The labor I quoted was for coil spring replacement.

I forgot that when you change out the struts, you should change out the top mounting plate. That will be about another $60-80 in parts if you go KYB.

Do the bounce test on your pathy to determine if you need new shocks. One thing I have noticed as I have aged is that my ass doesn't take potholes as well as when I was younger in the same car too!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 PM
2006 Pathfinder

Thanks Again sawdusted .
Old 10-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The stock front struts on the R51's are not that bad, performance wise, but the rears could be a lot better. If you replace the rears, I would suggest you upgrade to a monotube design. The popular choices among R51 owners are Bilstein HD's and Monroe Reflex. A lot upgrade the rear even further and install Airlift 1000 air bags in the rear. They run about $75 for the set and everyone seems to agree they make a huge differance in the ride and handling of the R51, regardless if you tow or not, but especially if you do tow! Most seem to air them up to around 10-15 PSI for non-towing use. They seem to cut down a lot of the rear end sway and bottoming out of the rear suspension that the R51's are known for, as well as prevent the back end from sagging when they are used for towing. They are not hard to install; the back fit within the coil springs and you'll need to run the airlines and mount the Shraedar valves. Most will use a one valve per airbag setup as opposed to one valve/T-fitting setup. You can find a lot of info and pics in the suspension forum at The Nissan Path :: The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owners Forum :: R51 / R50 / WD21 :: www.TheNissanPath.com

Tags
pathfinder, shocks, struts