Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
06' Pathfinder MPG display Forums > > 06' Pathfinder MPG display 06' Pathfinder MPG display
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 02-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder

Default 06' Pathfinder MPG display

My truck now has 67,000 miles and for the past 25,000 miles our MPG gauge has shown 14.5-15mpg with very little change.

After looking through the owners maunal (after 6 years) I read that the MPG gauge could be reset. I reset the gauge and the mpg now "updates " every mile or so and in a short trip I can get anywhere from 13- 18 mpg.

My question is, How is the guage supposed to work and why did it/does it need to be reset?

I will confirm the actual milage over my next few gas fill-ups.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

The gauge computes an average over time.

It is failrly accurate over a tankful if you reset it after filling up when close to empty.

It's useful to be able to reset it, if for example you were pulling a trailer and wanted to see the difference between "loaded" and "unloaded." Otherwise you'd have to wait for it to "average" the reading back up when you stopped hauling. That wouldn't be fast enough for some folks.

Most accurate way to measure fuel consumption is of course, manually.

Tags
display, mpg, pathfinder