Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2001 Pathy- Oil smells like gas Forums > > 2001 Pathy- Oil smells like gas 2001 Pathy- Oil smells like gas
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 12-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Anonymous

Default 2001 Pathy- Oil smells like gas

First I got a flickering Oil Press annunciator. Called Nissan, they asked about the qty. I told them its full. They said must be bad sensing unit since it was flickering. Then The light started blinking but not staying ON. Then the light came on and stayed on. Now the qty is over full just slightly, and the oil is water thin, but no bubbles or foaming. At first thought... bad oil and the viscosity broke down. I took it to the dealer.

They said mybe I was getting some sludge and it caused the oil to break down prematurely. I now have 800 miles on this oil, and one week since the oil change.. It is thinning, on the rise, AND IT SMELLS LIKE GAS!

Where should I start looking? PCV?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Anonymous

Default PCV

I bought a FRAM PCV and it doesn't look exactly like what I believe the PCV to be on my Pathy. So I want to be sure, the PCV is located right on top of the engine right?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Anonymous

Default talking to myself

If I ran it real hard, could I have loosed up sludge which is now coming loose in the clean oil and causing the oil viscosity to quickly break down and oil qty to rise????

I am getting nowhere with my problem...

-very frustrated Nissan owner

p.s. my local dealer told me today that the 01 Pathy didn't have a PCV valve.. I wonder why they sell a PCV valve then (sarcasm, lol)
Old 12-13-2005, 07:57 AM
Anonymous

Default maybe I am helping someone...

Well I found out that I had a P1140 code and today I am replacing the passenger side Intake Valve Timing Control Position Sensor (3 pins.) As I understand, this could not only be causing improper valve position but also limiting the oil allowed in and thus the little bit of oil that is getting in there is being badly burnt and thus thinned, and potentially smelling like gas...

Any input??????
Old 01-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Anonymous

Default 2001 Pathfinder

I also own a 2001. As for the PCV valve, from what data I have, (Haynes manual and a Nissan Factory Service CD) it has one. I checked 3 parts suppliers online including a nissan dealer and all listed a pcv valve for this model. Half I saw were threaded on one end and the others were not threaded at all? I looked on mine and it appears to be located at the right rear valve cover at the very top by the firewall. Use an inspection mirror and a flashlight .It looks almost impossible to access without removing the intake plenum because it is above it and its hose runs to the left side of the vehicle.
As for your code P1140 my CD shows these as a "Possible Cause":
*Harness or connectors
(Intake valve timing control position sensor circuit is open or shorted)
*Intake valve timing control position sensor
*Crankshaft position sensor (REF)
*Crankshaft position sensor (POS)
*Camshaft position sensor (PHASE)
You can buy the Factory Service Manual CD on E-bay from "kotenok01" for $15 which includes shipping. There are 2 manuals for 2001 so inclulde your VIN to get the correct one. It cost over $200 for the same from Nissan. It has diagnostic proceedures you can follow (in section EC) which may require specialized equipment.Good Luck! :)
Old 01-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Anonymous

Default issue resolved... sort of

Thank you for the input. I too found the PCV valve, but fortunately before I got into it I pulled my Camshaft and Crankshaft Sensors and found the problem.

My 2001 Certified Nissan had a case of major sludge. 2 of the four sensors came out begrudgingly b/c the buildup would not allow for them to come out. I cleaned all the sensor up and tried to get out all the sludge around the access holes, there was tons! Unfortunately the cleaning did not do the trick, P1140 came right back. So the sensor got changed out and voila problem solved.

So did the sludging cause the sensor to fail, or did the sensor fail thus causing the sludging??? Of course I was immediately insulted as Nissan said if there was sludging than you probably didn't change the oil regularly.. First off as insulting and personal as I took it, that sludge had been building up for far longer than I had the car so that notion was just illogical. I have never seen sludge to this degree! Hopefully the rev engine flush they did on it will clean it up.. but I am still quite mad.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Anonymous

so did that solve the gas smell?
Old 04-20-2006, 01:54 PM
canadflyau

Default Never Again

No more Gas Smell when I shut the oil refinery down... the oil refinery in my engine. That code is bad news (plus the fact my engine had oil sludging) and should be fixed immediately

In the end, it is just sad that I did all the leg work for everyone, found the problem called Nissan USA, they confirmed the prob would be a covered repair.. Then $400 later they made me pay and said not covered by the ext warranty. I went back to Nissan and got, "That rep no longer works here" followed by lots and lots of bad cust service. I had already pulled the sensors and cleaned them, already purchased the replacement sensor when I was told by Nissan to take the Pathy and the sensor in to your nearest dealer, "that is warranty work."

I wanted to get more info about the "certification" process and why my car had oil sludging so severely bad that I basically had 90% blockage. I could type pages about how I got screwed. But bottom line is this, I like the product they build, period end of statement. The "certified used" program is bogus (probably depends from dealer to dealer) and extended warranty is not stood by. Dealerships thumb their nose at the potential warranty claim work and treat you like you are getting a handout vs. a service you paid a premium for.

I documented everything and always tell my friends, family, co-workers about the story (can't be told over just one lunch) why not to buy.

-Never again

Tags
2001, gas, oil, pathy, smells