Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
What is that Noise?! Forums > > What is that Noise?! What is that Noise?!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 01-31-2012, 05:37 AM
2005 Pathfinder

Default What is that Noise?!

I have a 05 pathfinder and ever since I have had it I have struggled with a squeaky serpentine belt. Usually it is only a problem intermittently with changes in the temperature. If I replace the belt I am usually ok for a while. I have replaced the tension-er thinking that may be the problem but that didn't fix it. Now the real problem I was bleading my radiator and got anti freeze and water on the belt and now it squeals contantly. If I spray it with soapy water it quits until the belt dries in about thirty seconds. Tried belt conditioner with the same result. I am finding online that this seems to be a common problem among these nissans. Is there a permanant fix that doesn't require a new belt every few years?
Old 01-31-2012, 07:25 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

see "Find the latest service bulletins" at the lower left corner of this page, below "Things You Can Do"
Service Bulletin #NTB06-072a deals with drive belt noise, the reasons & solutions
Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 AM
2005 Pathfinder

Thanks, that seems very helpful. I have found a gates kit online for replacing the auto tension-er and was wondering if any one had any experience with this. It definitely seems the sound comes from belt on the tension-er. It makes sense if the power steering pully is out of alignment why the problem keeps returning. My frustration is that I took it in for this problem when the truck was under warranty and they only put a new belt on it. I guess it was before the service bulletin.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:51 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

OEM belts seem to give better results and are inexpensive
others have had trouble with aftermarket
i'd stick with OEM tensioner parts also (if you need them)
check pulley alignment carefully
if it's "off", you will have recurring problems no matter what parts you put on
Old 01-31-2012, 07:58 AM
2005 Pathfinder

Is there a problem with the tension-er or is it more likely the pulley being out of alignment. I had the tension-er replaced a while back but I am not sure if it is the original part or the updated part. Am I correct in believing there is an updated tension-er?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

if the tensioner arm has good spring tension and the wheel spins freely, it's probably OK
if there's any question over it, i'd replace it (not that expensive)
if you replace the tensioner, be sure to replace its' bolt also
Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Default Look at this new Dayco Serpentine Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks, that seems very helpful. I have found a gates kit online for replacing the auto tension-er and was wondering if any one had any experience with this. It definitely seems the sound comes from belt on the tension-er. It makes sense if the power steering pully is out of alignment why the problem keeps returning. My frustration is that I took it in for this problem when the truck was under warranty and they only put a new belt on it. I guess it was before the service bulletin.
I put a Dayco W-Profile belt on and haven't had any problems with it. I had no squeals prior to using it but it seems "more forgiving" of slight pulley misalignments that might be causing your issue.

I got it at Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts.

Here's a link:
Passenger Car and Light Trucks Parts - by Dayco

Tags
noise, serpentine belt