Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Bad Idle and almost stalling when in Drive or Reverse at a stop light Forums > > Bad Idle and almost stalling when in Drive or Reverse at a stop light Bad Idle and almost stalling when in Drive or Reverse at a stop light
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 08-27-2011, 06:08 PM
1999 Pathfinder

Default Bad Idle and almost stalling when in Drive or Reverse at a stop light

I have a 1999 Pathfinder 3.3L engine. The car runs for the most part excellent (it has 181,000 miles). It started getting these idle problems that after warming up it started idling erratically usually hen in Drive or reverse (sometimes it does idle erratically when in park or neutral but not as noticeable). Codes constantly coming are P0300 for cylinder misfire and knock sensor (which I thing it was P0325). I have fixed a few things as there where other codes. Found the misfire was on cylinder #2. Things I have done:
  1. Replaced spark plugs
  2. Replaced map flow sensor
  3. Replaced ignition, ignition cap. ignition rotor and cables
  4. checked fuel pressure
  5. check fuel regulator
  6. Change fuel filter
  7. EGR valve seems to be find, lifts when reeving, plus checked with vacuum and it holds it. Either way got it out and cleaned it. EGr solenoid is OK according to manual procedure.
  8. compression is 170 on cylinder 2
  9. All vacuum lines seem to be in great shape still I changed some of them hoping it was one I missed.
  10. Checked crankshaft sensor (withing specs)
  11. Clean throttle body
  12. checked all host going from air filter to throttle body for leaks looking for false air reading (all checked ok).
  13. change injector from cylinder #2 to cylinder #1 and problem still there, change spark plug from #2 to cylinder #3 and problem persist.
  14. I have change coil cables from one position to the other and still there
  15. checked ignition timing and its correct.
  16. got to knock sensor and it was within limits and connector ok, change all gaskets from intake manifold
  17. changed pcv

I have no idea what else to look for. I was lately thinking it was something with the EGR as the EGR tube coming from the ehxaust manifold to the EGR and it gets somewhat heated during idle and without bringing the RPM up. Anyways any help or ideas will be appreciated. Car runs great its just the idle erratically that's driving me crazy. It will not do it right away, but once in idle in D or R it will not last more than 10 seconds usually for it to come again. OS HELP!!!!!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Did you tried to clean the injectors? the problem is very common on the Pathfinder. Nissan release a service bulletin for that problem. Here is the link for the bulletin: Knowledgebase - 1999 Pathfinder - Nissanhelp.com Forums
Old 08-28-2011, 02:20 PM
1999 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Did you tried to clean the injectors? the problem is very common on the Pathfinder. Nissan release a service bulletin for that problem. Here is the link for the bulletin: Knowledgebase - 1999 Pathfinder - Nissanhelp.com Forums

I have not tried that yet, but did change the injector on the bad cylinder with an injector on a good cylinder and still the problem persisted. Still I will try it and let you know how it goes. thank you
Old 08-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

If that doesn't fix the problem, then my other suggestion is an intake manifold or plenum gasket.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:42 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

When you say "Bad Idle", you mean high idle or idle all over the place.

You replaced the gasket in IM. Did you test for leaks. Also did you test the camshaft position sensor.

You clean the throttle body, did you have to remove it? If so, you may need to do the Idle Air Volume Learning.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:50 PM
1999 Pathfinder

Hi there, finally I was able to figure it out. I did change the intake maniforl and plenum gaskets, I did try the injector cleaning as suggested but still the same. I did check the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors, did clean throttle body more than once but I have not done the idle air volume learning (don't know if that's actually done for 1999 pathfinder).... just out of curiosity, how it is done? The bad idle I mean is a low idle. RPM keep on going lower and lower until it starts shaking...... sometimes ends up stalling ........ problem seems to be coming from second cylinder

BTW what did help was changing the PCV valve again to an OEM one. Let me explain. I had replaced the OEM one with a purolator one bought at an auto store. Well, I took it out and it was not doing its job. Air was getting in and out both ways. I went to the part store to get a new one. but all were the same........ even for other auto models. SO I did go and buy an OEM (expensive when compare to the replacement one but trust me, well worth it) and it fix it right from the beginning. So these replacement parts are sometimes more of a headache than a cheap fix.....I'm bringing this old thread back so people have something else to look for if this idle happens

Last edited by drnandopr; 12-09-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 AM
1999 Pathfinder

Sorry to bring an old thread back up but I have finnally, after anbout 2 years, many headaches, moneyt spent, etc etc etc I have finnally found what was makin my car not idle correctly, etc etc. I did take it to a couple of auto technitians and they could not find anything.
Last night for some reason I basically though that maybe I had connected the O2 sensor conectors not correctly, but never though of it because they were dierent or so I though. (well they are diferent on the same bank).. anyways, the O2 bank 1,1 was conected were the O2 bank 2,1 goes and vice versa... making the computer go crazy and reating missfire and knocking., Ater checking on the manual and finding out they were connected in reverse and changing this I have driven the car with no codes and no hesitation or anyting....... thouygh I would write to help people as the cables might look they go somewhere because o how long they seem but it is not always the case. so if nothing fixes your idle after going through all I have gone to... check those O2 sensor connection.

Tags
bad, drive, idle, light, reverse, stalling, stop