Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Dreaded MAF sensor / P0138 combo Forums > > Dreaded MAF sensor / P0138 combo Dreaded MAF sensor / P0138 combo
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 AM
2001 Pathfinder

Default Dreaded MAF sensor / P0138 combo

From what I have read thus far, I seem to have something quite common with the Pathfinder (of my vintage), as in needing MAF sensor replacement (done two weeks ago), followed with the P0138 thrown, - high voltage O2 sensor bank one, sensor 2, blah, blah..

It seems the remedy is a combination of sensor replacement and ECU re-program, apparently telling the ECU to reduce its sensitivity when reading the O2 sensor(s)... It seems, however, that the need for ECU reprogram is established after replacement of the O2 sensor - leaving me wondering of that is actually necessary.

Why replace the sensor only to have the ECU throw the same code again, to be then told that this is because the ECU needs reprogramming.

My question - is the reprogramming because of the "language" the new sensor(s) speak, i.e the new sensors, while not defective, send a signal that makes the ECU throw the dreaded P0138, or does replacement of the MAF sensor somehow trigger the P0138?

What triggers the need to have the ECU reprogrammed/
Old 07-20-2011, 05:21 PM
2001 Pathfinder

Got the O2 (bank 1, sensor 2) replaced to clear P0138 - also had the ECM reprogrammed - total cost: $635.00

Ouch!!

They charged $215 for the sensor plus three hours labor at $125/hr. including the reprogram. Plus 7% tax.

Their "courtecy 100 points check" revealed I also need the following done:

Fuel injector cleaning - $375
rear stabilizer "short links" replaced - $350 + 3 hours labor - $825 total
Brake fluid flush - $150
Aux Fan resistor + fan replacement - $375 + 3 hours labor - $825 total
Timing Chain tensioners replacement - $50 + 3 hours labor - $425 total

This is a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder in mint condition with 80,000 miles on it - did I buy the wrong car????

Any comments, suggestions welcome
Old 07-20-2011, 09:44 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

If you replaced 1 sensor yourself----savings $550 +-. Injector Cleaning: Buy a 10 oz btl. for $9. (techron, super tech, etc.), and add it to a full tank----savings $360.If you live in the area where Chevron gas is sold, switch. Chevron gas already has Techron in it in all grades.

The rear stabilizer is prob still good. You can inspect yourself, savings $825.
Brake fluid flush is nothing more than bleeding your brake lines, savings $125.
Look at your fan, how hard it is to replace.
You said your car is in mint condition, so you can disregard the 100 Pt. check.

The 3 hr. to replace 1 sensor is outrageous. May be clearing the code they would call reprogramming.

Next time, shop around. Independent shops, freelance mechanics where they charge $40-$60/hr labor. They can do that cuz they don't have overhead like the dealer.

Understand that service, parts, and used cars are the main cash generators for dealers. They make little on new cars. It's like ATT or Verizon where they practically give away a phone. Or eat up $300 of the cost for a new iphone if you sign up for 2 years.

So shop around. Our local community college now has an automotive school. They are now accepting outside business at 1/2 the rate for outside labor.

Last edited by bennyb53; 07-20-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:21 AM
2001 Pathfinder

Agreed with all you said.

The reason I ended up at the dealer was that I also had a leaking gas fill line (fill to tank) which ended up being a recall and was repaired for free (to me).

I already spotted the sensor for less than $100 on the web but everything I read (see my initial post) lead me to believe that replacement would be futile unless the ECM was also reprogrammed because it would still throw the dreaded P0138.

Looked into reprogamming myself - there is a very elaborate decription of the process on line - which I could follow - but I don't have the necessary hardware and connectors to set it all up.

So they had me by the short hair - would not install an aftermarket sensor either...

Thus far, after owning the vehicle for one year, I have replaced (myself) a Cam Positioning Sensor ($87) and the MAF sensor ($90), and removed + cleaned the upstream O2 sensors twice, to clear Codes.

I think I screwed up the Cam Positioning Sensor myself by re-connecting the battery after a ECM reset while the ignition key was in and on.

The MAF sensor kept on throwing its codes after I cleaned the O2 sensors and I caved in and replaced it after having cleaned it about three, four times.

INSTANTLY I got the P0138 Code, just as many other frustrated Nissan Pathy owners did - just search the web.

All the while, the car was running just fine - hence my frustration to be told by the ECM I needed to go spend some mega bucks to fix something that was (is) obviously something where Nissan screwed up.

The rest of the "need repair" items are the usual dealer drivel where they work on your comfort level in order to get into your wallet. "Does your wife drive this car too? You wouldn't want her to be stuck in (name a bad area) with a broken timing chain, would you?"

How about telling the wife I just spent the kids college fund on probably unnecessary repairs?

I work hard for my money and I hate to see it poured down the drain... Haarrrumph!!

Okay, I will get off my high horse now. ;-)
Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 AM
2001 Pathfinder

I hate it when a thread ends with no clear solution - I found mine, so let's see if I can help some other poor slob out there that is struggling with the same issue(s)

After all of the above, my pathfinder started stalling intermittently, especially when hot and "in traffic". After a lot of back and forth, and several more times at the Nissan Dealer, charging me for a complete fuel intake manifold + injector service, etc., etc. and they could not fnd the reason - everything worked as it should be and in the end they believed it was something "mechanical", requiring a complete "engine teardown", as they called it.

This gave me a LOT of incentive to go over the whole thing, once again, myself and I checked everything I could - even adjusted the Throttle Positioning Sensor so that it would indeed give me the right readings for idle at the .012 and .016 feeler gauge points, as required in the shop manual.

Car still would stall - it ran great otherwise, but would stall off and on.

In a moment of brilliance, I decided to put the old MAF sensor back in (read posts above) and Voila - NO MORE STALLING!!! instead, it started throwing the same old codes again - lean engine, bank no 1 - blah, blah.

Bottom line - all things pointed to the MAF sensor - the cheapo one I replaced the original one with was stalling my car; the original one was throwing codes.

I broke down and bought a new MAF sensor from NAPA - a final (I hope) $367 later the car runs like a champ again, no stalling and no codes (knock on wood) after now 60 miles since replacement.

One intersting note from the NAPA guy - when he handed me the new sensor, it came installed in a new tube - I mumbled that I would leave the old tube there and just relace the sensor because that was about 1/4th the job of replacing the whole thing - he said that might not be a good idea, because the unit was manufactured, tested and tuned (if that is possible) as a set ... swapping sensors and tubes might throw things off... Needless to say, I replaced the whole sensor, tube and all.

This all caused me great agony - mostly because I thought I was smart by being cheap. It is entirely possible I spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars replacing less expensive items, just not to have to replace the dreaded $400 MAF sensor - in the end, however, it turned out that was the only thing that didn't cause a headache elsewhere.

You need the five prong, Nissan Pathfinder sensor (my cheapo replacement had four prongs) - also, I hear others saying the Maxima sensor works, but, given my experience, I would guess it will probably throw some other nuisance code.... - stop taking it to the dealer, bite the bullet and get a new MAF sensor , the right one... - the cost you save is what you don't pay replacing all sorts of crap on the peripheral of the real problem. If you go in that direction, as I did, Nissan will love you for that (I am their favorite cusomer)

Last edited by Vandervan; 05-29-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Pathfinder
2001 Sentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandervan View Post
Got the O2 (bank 1, sensor 2) replaced to clear P0138 - also had the ECM reprogrammed - total cost: $635.00

Ouch!!

They charged $215 for the sensor plus three hours labor at $125/hr. including the reprogram. Plus 7% tax.

Their "courtecy 100 points check" revealed I also need the following done:

Fuel injector cleaning - $375
rear stabilizer "short links" replaced - $350 + 3 hours labor - $825 total
Brake fluid flush - $150
Aux Fan resistor + fan replacement - $375 + 3 hours labor - $825 total
Timing Chain tensioners replacement - $50 + 3 hours labor - $425 total

This is a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder in mint condition with 80,000 miles on it - did I buy the wrong car????

Any comments, suggestions welcome
I agree with benny53.
The dealer is a money pit when it comes to service. That's why I try not to give the business unless I have no choice. Most of the items suggested are not necessary unless they show obvious signs of needing replacement. It only stuff their pockets with your $. Take benny's advice and do some of it yourself.

As for the rear stabilizer links, I had both mine replaced with better than nissan aftermarket parts for $50 in parts for $50 in labor.

Tags
combo, dreaded, maf, p0138, sensor