Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Brake peddle/turn signal short? Forums > > Brake peddle/turn signal short? Brake peddle/turn signal short?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 06-08-2011, 12:27 PM
oatbean

Default Brake peddle/turn signal short?

Hi everyone,
I own a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder.

I feel I have some sort of electrical short with regards to my signal lights and brake peddle. (Please Note: the problem only exists with regards to the left turn signal light 'both front and rear'). I'd really like to try to fix this myself as I am on a very tight budget. I was hoping maybe some kind person here might be willing to offer me some advice, based on the symptoms, of where I should begin looking.

Symptoms:

(1)
My left turn signal lights both front and rear (i.e. driver's side) light up when I press the break peddle.

(2)
If my left turn signal is active, every time I press my brake peddle my left turn signal stays lit but stops flashing until I release the brake (things act normal with regards to activating the right turn signal).

also...

(3)
If my car is in "P"ark and I have my left turn signal engaged (or my hazards flashing). My shifter console makes a loud clicking sound with every blink of the flasher lights (I assume this sound is the brake peddle controlled "safety" relay inside the shifting console that unlocks the gearshift from the "P"ark position snapping in and out of position)

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Any advice is most certainly and thankfully appreciated.

Sincerely,
Rob
Old 06-08-2011, 03:23 PM
2015 Rogue

If you have trailer wiring installed disconnect it.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:44 AM
oatbean

Thanks for the encouraging reply "mpe235",

I'm encouraged because I did have a trailer hitch installed about 5 years ago.

At the risk of me sounding a bit "dim"... when you say "disconnect it", can you be a bit more specific?

When I look at the hitch, I see the connector attached to a wire-harness. At what/which place along this wire do I disconnect it?

I definitely appreciate anymore advice you'd care to offer. I've had this problem for about 4 months and it's been driving me a bit crazy.

Thanks again,
Rob
Old 06-09-2011, 04:51 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatbean View Post
Thanks for the encouraging reply "mpe235",

I'm encouraged because I did have a trailer hitch installed about 5 years ago.

At the risk of me sounding a bit "dim"... when you say "disconnect it", can you be a bit more specific?

When I look at the hitch, I see the connector attached to a wire-harness. At what/which place along this wire do I disconnect it?

I definitely appreciate anymore advice you'd care to offer. I've had this problem for about 4 months and it's been driving me a bit crazy.

Thanks again,
Rob
It depends if the wiring is aftermarket or factory wiring. The aftermarket wiring is usually spliced in to the tail light harnesses. You will have to remove the inner trim panels in the cargo area to get to the wires. They are usually attatched with scotch locks. If it is this style just cut the wires close to the splice and tape them up when you are done. If it is the factory style they will be plugged in line with the tail light. Unplug the 2 connectors and plug the tail light connectors back into the body harness.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:50 AM
oatbean

Wow! Thanks so MUCH!!! That fixed it!!!
It was so cool of you to offer me such kind help! Thanks again!

-Rob

Tags
brake, peddle or turn, short, signal