Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Cheap OBD code P0430 & P0420 fix Forums > > Cheap OBD code P0430 & P0420 fix Cheap OBD code P0430 & P0420 fix
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 03-26-2011, 03:14 PM
2015 Rogue

WARNING: Federal law makes it illegal for ANYONE to tamper with, disconnect, remove or otherwise render inoperative ANY emissions-related control device. A violation may make you liable for up to a $2,500 fine!
ASE Master Certified.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
1988 Truck
2005 Pathfinder se

OK I can read that . loud and clear

Last edited by Total; 03-21-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
WARNING: Federal law makes it illegal for ANYONE to tamper with, disconnect, remove or otherwise render inoperative ANY emissions-related control device. A violation may make you liable for up to a $2,500 fine!
You are of course, correct.

I should've clarified that the procedure I originally posted was FOR TESTING/REPAIR PURPOSES ONLY!!!

I was merely diagnosing the problem and confirming that the catalytic converter or the front O2 sensor is at fault and that the OBD code was in fact, valid.

I will remove it when my testing is complete.

Last edited by Dave1965; 03-27-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 AM
ceiker

Any have a hard time getting to the front bolts of the driver's side front converter ? Looks like you need to remove the heat shield, but the bolts feel like they will break off. (Nissan Frontier 2005)
Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiker View Post
Any have a hard time getting to the front bolts of the driver's side front converter ? Looks like you need to remove the heat shield, but the bolts feel like they will break off. (Nissan Frontier 2005)
No idea. This thread deals with the Secondary O2 Sensor which is at the aft end of the converter, way WAY past where you're talking about. The area you describe would be necessary to deal with if you were to access the Primary O2 Sensor.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder

Default P0430

I just had the code P0430 thrown on my 06 pathfinder le. I have heard with other forums that putting in an aftermarket converter will probably throw the same code later(I also confirmed this with a friend of mine that owns a repair shop). Since I just want to comply with environmental laws and dont want to get screwed by the dealer (they want over $1100 for drivers side converter), I will replace with an aftermarket converter and use the Bigdaddy straight cell fix. I figured this will fix the car properly and keep the check engine light off. I plan on doing the fix this week. Ill post back when its done. http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/straight-cel-fix.html
Old 02-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder

Default P0430

I went to the exhaust shop today to have the guy do a pressure test on my 06 pathfinder. The test was done on the front left converter. The pressure after the converter tested fine. The exhaust guy didn't want to replace the converter yet, he wanted me to run down to his other shop and have them run some tests. The test they ran showed the front left converter starting to throw a mix that the rear O2 sensor didn't like. They didn't seem like it was a huge deal. I have seen to post where people are stating "major engine damage" if the converter breaks apart and goes into the engine. While this is a possibility, I don't think this is probable if the pressure behind the converter is testing fine(the exhaust guys also confirmed this) While I am going to replace the Converter in the future, I am going to install the O2 extender for two reasons. 1. i am tired of seeing the "check engine light". 2. I plan on replacing the converter with an aftermarket and was told by numerous mechanics that while it is a proper fix, the O2 sensors on pathfinders don't like most aftermarket converters.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:26 AM
Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder

Default P0430 fix

I installed the O2 extender from the Big Daddies site (last weekend). I used the straight extender. The O2 sensor that needs to be extended is the one behind the front Catalytic converter. The Front Converter has an O2 sensor in front of the converter (this is not the O2 sensor you need to extend). I heard other posts that some were worried that the extender would put the O2 sensor a little close to the drive shaft. This should be a non-issue. My extender gave me plenty of room. I purchased the OBDII Blue Tooth for $15 and use that with the "torque" app on my smart phone. It works great and I reset the code after extending the O2 Sensor. So far the code has not come back. I plan on removing and inspecting the Front Left Converter in a couple weeks. Worse-case scenario is the converter is bad and I will replace with an aftermarket. The reason I am doing the extender now, is because the extender will be needed with the aftermarket converter since the aftermarket converters are still allowing something that the rear O2 sensor doesnt like. My gut is telling me that the converter is probably okay and the O2 sensor is a little finicky about what it reads. On a side note, I have been getting the same code with a "loose gas cap". While i don't think the gas cap is the reason behind the last P0430 code, I went ahead and replaced mine with an OEM gas cap from the dealer($28). The gas cap was throwing the code about once a year. I was getting frustrated with the gas cap because i would go to refuel and the gas cap wouldn't seem tight. The new one is a huge improvement. I'll check back and post the update on my front left converter with pictures, after i remove and inspect it.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:52 AM
Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder

Default Code

To follow up... I had the converter removed and it is fine. I was pretty sure that was the case since the pressure test was fine. The light has not came back on since I added the extender. The Pathfinder drives fine and the gas mileage is perfectly fine also. I will say that a proper fix is always the goal but replacing good parts for no reason is stupid. Please do your research. As always, this site is a great place to start the brain-storming session.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:26 AM
Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder

Default follow up

Just wanted to touch base on the fix I did. Everything is still great and I have not received any more check engine codes.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:15 AM
2001 Pathfinder
2001 Pathfinder

Default OBD Code P1140, P1145, P0430 Quest

i have a 2001 Pathfinder with OBD codes P1140, P1145, and P0430. I have also noticed that the tail pipe on the muffler has fallen off.
I have read the P0430 is Catconverter and expensive.
what course of action should be taken to correct these?
I read that P1140/1145 should be corrected first. Could the exhaust pipe cause the 0430 code?
thx
Old 02-01-2017, 09:10 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Anytime you have an engine management code or codes with catalyst codes, you need to address the engine management codes first and fix that problem. Then, when that repair is complete, erase all of the codes and see if the catalyst code returns.

Tags
cheap, code, fix, obd, p0420, p0430