Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2001 Pathfinder ECM and immobilizer problem Forums > > 2001 Pathfinder ECM and immobilizer problem 2001 Pathfinder ECM and immobilizer problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 10-22-2010, 07:00 AM
cleomajik

Default 2001 Pathfinder ECM and immobilizer problem

Replaced the bad ECM on my 2001 Pathy. Bought a used ECM and had a mechanic install it. Called a locksmith to program the used ECM, de-activate the immobilizer and make extra key. Locksmith went to the mechanics shop and couldn’t do the job. The locksmith says that that he needs the PIN number to do the programming. He says that the PIN number is randomly generated and to get this randomly generated PIN number he has to enter the BCM number from the vehicle that the used ECM was on. Went back to the ECM company to see if they could help. ECM company says that this model Pathfinder does not have a BCM on it. Can anyone confirm if there is a BCM on the 2001 Pathfinder? Does anyone know how I can get the random pin number? Should the locksmith be entering a different number in the “BCM” field? Should I just go ahead and have it towed to the dealership and let them do it. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Can anyone confirm if there is a BCM on the 2001 Pathfinder?
You pathfinder does not have a BCM, but "Smart Entrance Control Unit" which is the same just with a different number.

Quote:
Does anyone know how I can get the random pin number?
Only at the dealer.

Quote:
Should the locksmith be entering a different number in the “BCM” field?
What number is he entering?

Quote:
Should I just go ahead and have it towed to the dealership and let them do it.
Yes, the dealer will probably charge you about the same to program the key or give you just the PIN
Old 10-23-2010, 03:37 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleomajik View Post
Replaced the bad ECM on my 2001 Pathy. Bought a used ECM and had a mechanic install it. Called a locksmith to program the used ECM, de-activate the immobilizer and make extra key. Locksmith went to the mechanics shop and couldn’t do the job. The locksmith says that that he needs the PIN number to do the programming. He says that the PIN number is randomly generated and to get this randomly generated PIN number he has to enter the BCM number from the vehicle that the used ECM was on. Went back to the ECM company to see if they could help. ECM company says that this model Pathfinder does not have a BCM on it. Can anyone confirm if there is a BCM on the 2001 Pathfinder? Does anyone know how I can get the random pin number? Should the locksmith be entering a different number in the “BCM” field? Should I just go ahead and have it towed to the dealership and let them do it. Thanks in advance for any help.
The 2001 pathfinder didn't use the random pin. All 2001 model year nissans use the same pin to program keys. The locksmith should already know this. They have been programming those keys for years.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:58 AM
cleomajik

I guess I need a different locksmith. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:59 AM
cleomajik

Thank you for confirming. I appreciate the help.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:20 PM
brooksv4

Default What if the ECM is for an Infinity Qx4?

I just removed mine from a 2001 Pathfinder LE and a search on the intranet by part number showed it to be for a 2001 Infinity Qx4.

One reply above says it's the same code, another that only the dealer can give you the code. Which is it? Does it matter if it says for a Qx4?

When people talk about programming the ECM are they just talking about the key?

Can I drive it to the dealership with the original ECM, unplug it, and plug the new one back in, then have them do their magic? Is the ECM case the ground for the unit thus requiring (for the trip) the ECM to be installed in place for a good ground to prevent damage?

Will driving with the old ECM damage the new IACV?

cleomajik:
Quote:
Called a locksmith to program the used ECM, de-activate the immobilizer
Does that mean you no longer need the special key?
Old 10-25-2010, 03:54 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksv4 View Post
I just removed mine from a 2001 Pathfinder LE and a search on the intranet by part number showed it to be for a 2001 Infinity Qx4.

One reply above says it's the same code, another that only the dealer can give you the code. Which is it? Does it matter if it says for a Qx4?

When people talk about programming the ECM are they just talking about the key?

Can I drive it to the dealership with the original ECM, unplug it, and plug the new one back in, then have them do their magic? Is the ECM case the ground for the unit thus requiring (for the trip) the ECM to be installed in place for a good ground to prevent damage?

Will driving with the old ECM damage the new IACV?

cleomajik: Does that mean you no longer need the special key?
The infinity qx4 and the pathfinder are pretty much the same vehicle. You could drive to the dealer with the old ecm and then swap it out and have them program it without any issues.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:11 PM
brooksv4

Thanks. Can the ECM be programmed to not require a special proximity key? The reason is I've got 180K miles and now rust around the wheel wells. I don't think anyone is going to steal it and the less high tech the easier to work on down the road.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:23 AM
alanford

yes you need to find new locksmith that have much more experience.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:54 PM
chesterblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleomajik View Post
Have you try to ask a duplicate key in the company?
Old 03-07-2016, 01:02 PM
2001 Pathfinder

I replaced the ecm with one purchased on ebay. the original one was fried from the IACV failure. I replaced the Throttle Positioning Sensor and the IACV with new parts. Now engine will turnover but not start.
I had a locksmith come out and try to program my keys to the replacement ecm but he said his device could not connect with the ecm.
How can I check to see if replacement ecm is good? How can it be reset? Is the anti theft system locking us out? how can this be reset?
Old 07-25-2016, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast
2002 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkd4nte View Post
I replaced the ecm with one purchased on ebay. the original one was fried from the IACV failure. I replaced the Throttle Positioning Sensor and the IACV with new parts. Now engine will turnover but not start.
I had a locksmith come out and try to program my keys to the replacement ecm but he said his device could not connect with the ecm.
How can I check to see if replacement ecm is good? How can it be reset? Is the anti theft system locking us out? how can this be reset?
I got the same question. I guess it will crank but wont start as the computer controls the ignition procedures and timing......
Old 07-26-2016, 03:12 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Then only way you can test an ECM to be sure that it's good or not is to send it out to a place that repairs them and have them check it out. If you install a used ECM, the transponder type keys need to be initialized to it, otherwise, the security system will see an unregistered key, keep the security light "ON," and disable the fuel system. A Nissan or Infiniti dealer can initialize the keys; there may be some locksmiths that have the equipment to do it.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:30 AM
Enthusiast
2002 Pathfinder

I called a locksmith, he came in. I told him that I changed the ECM. He initialized the immobilizer and the car started up soooo smoothly with a purr. The code for a swirl solenoid is coming up, but I read that the code needs to be erased for it to turn the CEL off.

I also asked him if he could do the relearning of the TB and idle stuff. He did that. Also he scanned a Honda Element for me and was insisting on the same price as on the phone for $125. If anyone needs a recommendation in MD, I say call Victory Auto Lock.

I am having a jerking issue now. When I put my foot on the gas a little bit it jerks. Could be because I didnt reset the CEL?
I just reset the CEL. Will test drive again. Any thoughts ?

Last edited by wmj259; 07-26-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:48 AM
Enthusiast
2002 Pathfinder

Ordered a swirl valve from the dealer for about 100 few bucks.

Will get it today.

Tags
2001, ecm, immobilizer, pathfinder, problem