Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1998 Pathfinder loses power P0302 Forums > > 1998 Pathfinder loses power P0302 1998 Pathfinder loses power P0302
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 09-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Enthusiast
1998 Pathfinder

Default 1998 Pathfinder loses power P0302

My 1998 Pathfinder loses power and dies even with engine revved high, and gives P0302 error code. I changed spark plug wires.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks for any help offered.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Enthusiast
1998 Pathfinder

Default How many coils in 98 Pathfinder?

I've got a 98 Pathfinder that suddenly lost power and won't even run for very long and more, just a few seconds.

It gave the P0301 and P0302 codes, which are cylinder 1 and 2 misfires. I replaced the plug wires, but that didn't help.

I've read that it may be the ignition coils.

Does the 98 Pathfinder have more than one coil?

It's got what looks like a distributer cap. Doesn't that mean there is only one coil for all 6 plugs?

Could this be the source of the problem?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Your 98 pathfinder does not have individual coils, the coil problem is for another year.

On you 98 Pathfinder, if the spark plugs and wires are OK, the most lily cause of the problem is the injectors. Either the injector are clogged or bad.

There is a bulletin for that problem: Knowledgebase - 1998 Pathfinder - Nissanhelp.com Forums
Old 09-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast
1998 Pathfinder

Thanks NissanTech. I'll look at the link you provided.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

how are your plugs themselves? dirty fuel filter is another possibility..
Old 09-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast
1998 Pathfinder

Momud-

I replaced the spark plug wires and 5 of the 6 plugs. Some of the plugs looked pretty bad, but it didn't fix the problem. I haven't replaced one of the plugs because it's way back by the firewall, and difficult to reach. I think I need a socket extension with a joint in it in order to reach it.

I haven't checked the fuel filter, yet. Thanks for the advice.

A mechanic told me sometimes the timing belt skips a tooth, and this manifests itself as misfires. He recommended removing the timing belt cover to see if the mark still lines up as it should. Has anybody ever heard of that possibility?

Again, thanks for the help!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

you need to get that plug (#6 i'm guessing) out and put in a good one.. if that one is shot then it's not helping you with this issue.

how many miles on your truck? the timing belt needs to be replaces every 110k mi or so..
and yes, it could skip a tooth or two but that's rare.. also, just opening the cover won't do you much good. the marks align only so often.. and if that was the case it wouldn't really misfire but may cough and backfire, etc.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Enthusiast
1998 Pathfinder

Momud-

It's got 145K on it, not sure when the previous owner changed the timing belt. He's pretty organized, so he probably did it at 100k.

I was planning on removing the top timing belt cover and turning the crank shaft with a socket wrench until the the cam shaft marks line up. Not sure if I can check the crank shaft mark without taking a bunch of stuff off.

I'll replace the last plug and fuel filter first.

NissanTech was kind enough to post a link to a fuel injector cleaning procedure. I might try that, too.

Thanks again for your advice.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:10 AM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbates View Post
Momud-

It's got 145K on it, not sure when the previous owner changed the timing belt. He's pretty organized, so he probably did it at 100k.

I was planning on removing the top timing belt cover and turning the crank shaft with a socket wrench until the the cam shaft marks line up. Not sure if I can check the crank shaft mark without taking a bunch of stuff off.
i'm guessing you bought the truck after 100/110k mi? i wouldn't assume, that's for sure. it's an interference engine so you don't want to risk it.. if you remove a bunch of stuff, you may as well slap a new belt on it and exchange the h2o pump + thermostat while you're there.. some also do the cam seals..

as to turning it till the marks align.. that may take for ever but maybe you'll get lucky and hit it rather quickly.. good luck either way.

and yes, i'd try the other stuff befoer you start digging in the front as it is quite a bit of work..
Old 10-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Enthusiast
1998 Pathfinder

momud-

I bought it from a friend with 120k on it, or so. He had the timing belt replaced at 90k (still has the receipt).

I replaced the fuel filter and the last spark plug; it still doesn't run.

I might try to clean the fuel injectors by hooking up a solvent to the fuel rail, per NissanTech's recommended link. Not sure where to get the solvent, though.

Also, I was thinking maybe the fuel pump is not good? I heard you can pinch the inlet fuel line 5 sec after the ignition switch turned on, and you should feel pressure pulsations?

Thanks,

Sabbates
Old 10-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

you should be able to hear a faint noise (a buzz) in the gas tank area when you turn on the ignition key. to check if you have pressure, you can just press the schroeder valve on the fuel rail to see if you have pressure. but please be careful as the gas will squirt with force.. wear your safety glasses and make sure not to have your face in the way of the gas. no smoking etc..

and yes, do injector cleaning procedure.. cleaner can be bought at a parts store.. but get the high quality one.. not the stuff that goes in the gas tank.. although that may work too..

good luck
Old 10-05-2010, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast
1998 Pathfinder

Momud-

I don't see a schrader valve on the fuel rail of my 98 Pathfinder. Do you know where it is?

Thanks,

Sabbates
Old 10-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

nope, i sure don't on your model but normally they are on the rail and close to the firewall.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Enthusiast
1998 Pathfinder

Momud-

I verified there is 12 volts to the fuel pump connector when ignition switch turned on, but I don't hear pump buzzing.

Could this mean the pump is bad?

Is there a better way to test it?

Is it easily removed from the access hatch under the rear passenger seat?

If it's bad, should I replace the whole assembly? Or just the pump motor?

Thanks,

Sabbates
Old 10-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

did you ever locate the valve on fuel injection rails? that's how you could find out for sure.

as to access to the pump, i dunno exactly. i am not sure where the tank is in those models.. there should be a hatch either under the seat or under the carpet in the cargo area.
also, i am not sure about the pump and assembly.. see how the part comes from your local auto parts store.. you may not have a choice.

Tags
1998, 98 pathfinder p0302, loses, p0302, pathfinder, power