Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1998 Pathfinder loses power P0302 Forums > > 1998 Pathfinder loses power P0302 1998 Pathfinder loses power P0302
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 10-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Enthusiast
1998 Pathfinder

Momud-

My Pathfinder doesn't have a valve on the fuel rail. The factory service manual says to disconnect the fuel inlet hose and insert a pressure gauge to check the pressure. It also says to squeeze the hose while turning the ignition, supposedly you should feel pressure pulsations if the pump is working. I did the squeeze test and didn't feel anything.

The pump hatch is located under the rear passenger seat. That's where I verified that 12 V was getting to the pump connector, but no buzz noise.

I've seen the entire pump assembly for sale, and also just the pump itself. Not sure how hard it is to remove the pump alone, or should I replace the entire assembly?

I've attached pictures of both.

Thanks,

Sabbates
Attached Thumbnails
1998 Pathfinder loses power P0302-denso-fuel-pump-jpeg   1998 Pathfinder loses power P0302-fuel_pump-jpg  
Old 10-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Enthusiast
1998 Pathfinder

Momud-

I got it fixed!

It was the fuel pump, after all. I was getting P0301 P0302 and P0300 (multiple cylinder misfire).

I bought the pump without the assembly for $20 at TNA auto in El Monte, CA. The old pump was kind of hung up when removing it, but I was able to get it out.

Now the car runs like new!

Thanks a lot to everyone for their help.

Sabbates
Old 10-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

cool. glad you got it figured out. sorry wasn't that helpful.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Enthusiast
1998 Pathfinder

Momud-

Now I see why the pump was hard to remove. There's a retaining clip that holds it to the bottom of the tank.

-Sabbates
Attached Thumbnails
1998 Pathfinder loses power P0302-fuel_pump-jpg  
Old 10-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

so, how did you disconnect that clip and then how did you reconnect it to the new pump assembly?

should have read your other thread first. lol Trouble Pulling Fuel Pump From 98 Pathfinder

Last edited by momud; 10-11-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:34 PM
1998 Pathfinder
1991 240SX

Don't forget to check your fuel pump relay under the hood. My fuel pump stopped working as well. I checked the connections with a 12 volt light. It lit up for 6 seconds after turning the key. So that means that the pump is getting current to it, right? That also means that the pump must be bad, right? Not in my case. I actually bought a new pump and hooked it up to later find out that it also did not work. I checked the fuel pump relay while someone else turned the key. The relay clacked! WTF?
So what was the problem??? The contacts on the relay were burned out *just enough* to allow a bit of current to pass. This was enough to light my 12v tester light, but not enough to turn on the motor. I stuck the AC relay in place of the fuel pump and it started right up.
Lesson learned: Always check relays. Clacking does not equate to being functional.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:14 AM
1998 Pathfinder

Default my 98 pathfinder

hi momud i changed the fuel pump in mine that i just prchased from neighbor.it was at a garage and she said mechanic informed her fuel pump was bad i replaced it still doesnt crank or buzz.i saw he was checking for spark it didnt have any so i replaced distributor.no spark i also just plugged in as i assumed the other was in time any suggestions thanks danno.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:17 AM
1998 Pathfinder

yes i also swapped relays and no luck im at my wits end and no more money there has got to be something small im not seeing at this point any suggestions thanks danno
Old 09-28-2020, 08:01 AM
1998 Pathfinder

I know this post is 10 years old, but to anyone else with this problem, like me, the fuel rail doesn't have a schrader valve on it. To relieve fuel pressure, you take out the fuel pump fuse and turn the key to start the car until it dies and turn it again for 3 seconds. Then remove keys and dont lose the fuse for the pump. With the 301 and 302 codes, it is most likely your #1 and 2 fuel injectors have failed and it is time to replace them. You can do just the 2, but i recommend doing them all because they all have a good chance of failing with that age. I did just the 1 on mine because I didn't have the time or money to buy all 6 of the o.e.m. hitachi injectors for $240, 2 years ago. Also, i replaced The spark plug that fouled with the bad injector and its still running fine after 2 years. From my experience, You will want to replace the 1 and 2 spark plugs when your injectors fail also. Or if the #3 injector fails, replace the #3 spark plug, and so on... also, at around 180,000 miles, the distributors are prone to failure also. So if the car just turns over and doesn't start and isnt getting spark, at around 180k, there is a good chance the distributor is your problem. I have owned my 98 pathfinder for roughly 5 years and i have had to do alot of this stuff to it. The timing belt didnt skip a tooth or it would clunk and knock and run like crap if it runs at all. The timing belts usually break before it skips a tooth. Unless somebody installed it completely wrong.

Last edited by Geren8509; 09-28-2020 at 08:07 AM.

Tags
1998, 98 pathfinder p0302, loses, p0302, pathfinder, power