Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
88 pathfinder v6 4wd - fast idle and smokes Forums > > 88 pathfinder v6 4wd - fast idle and smokes 88 pathfinder v6 4wd - fast idle and smokes
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 07-28-2010, 02:48 PM
John Edmiston

Question 88 pathfinder v6 4wd - fast idle and smokes

Hi, noticed your post on a discussion forum, and thought I would ask for help. I have an 88 pathfinder v6 4wd a friend gave me when he moved. It needed brakes all the way around, so I did those, and noticed he hadn't done much maintence on it so did a tune up; new fuel filter, new plugs, oil change. It ran perfectly before I fixed it, now it is smoking and doesn't seem to idle down. I tried to adjust the idle screw but had little effect; tried adjusting the timing but is very advanced and if brought to 12 btdc it dies. Did the diagnostic on the ecu and got 11 (crank angle sensor), 12 (air flow meter), 13 (engine temperature sensor). The manual I have, doesn't tell me how to test any of these items, or what to do if they should fail. Could these items be causing my problem, are they all related, and failure of one could register failure of the other two. I replaced the coil, have checked the spark plug gap half a dozen times, thought maybe somehow the timing belt slipped. Turned the timing marks on the damper to tdc and the rotor appears to be in the area for the number one plug to fire but I see no mark on the distributor. Is there a mark on the distributor for plug number one? Can I replace the crank angle sensor? Also, my manual doesn't show a vacuum hose diagram, and I believe vac hoses are missing, where do I find one? Sorry, I know this is a lot, but if you can point me in the right direction it would be great.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

If it ran good before it stands to reason it should now.What type/brand of plugs did you install?By chance did you leave something off or disconnected. Were the codes there before you started the tune-up?Our manuals start at 1994 and it is to far back to remember the first model change. As i remember the old VG30 in my 87 did not have and marks on the distributor.The last plug on the drivers side is very easy to break when you install it and mine didn't like aftermarket caps and rotors.You need to try to reset the base line timing and start over everything you did.I think there were two vacume lines that came off the bottom of the air cleaner but don't remember just where they went.As for the crank sensor,it started before so i think you can rule out that along with the air flow meter for the same reason.The fast idle sounds like a big vacume leak at or near the intake manifold.

Last edited by tech22; 07-28-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:57 PM
John Edmiston

I used autolite plugs, and I broke a couple but sure they're not now. I can't find anything disconnected or left off. I had no idea about the ecu under the seat until I started having problems so, I don't know if the codes we're there before. I didn't think it could be the crank sensor or air flow meter, but figured the computer knew better than I. It is actually purring like a kitten, only to fast, so I can't be sure about the timing. I don't know how to set the base line timing, without a mark for number one on the distributor and the idle too fast and I can't hear or feel any vac leaks.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:04 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

There should be just one slash cut on the harmonic balancer to use as ref. Have you tryed to loosen the throttle cable at the point where it attaches to the bracket.From there you can adjust the idle.You should never try to adjust the idle at the tip over point. Most people think that it the point where you would set the idle.Give the cable adjustment a try and let me know how that worked out.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Edmiston View Post
thought maybe somehow the timing belt slipped.
or was set improperly when changed. there are no markings on the distributor.. you'll just have to set TDC. and btw. the timing being off by a tooth or two will make your truck overheat, for sure.. not sure why it ran perfectly before though.

Tags
4wd, fast, idle, pathfinder, smokes