Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Nissan Pathfinder overheating Forums > > Nissan Pathfinder overheating Nissan Pathfinder overheating
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 06-07-2010, 07:19 PM
WyndeP

Ok we are still having issues :( we have tried all suggestions other than the new flushing out the cooling system. We are wondering if we just should try a new radiator but there are really no signs of a leak or anything ...I am seriously at my wits end. The mechanic has even said he can't think of anything else :(
Old 06-08-2010, 10:18 PM
2001 Pathfinder
2001 PATHFINDER LE

Default Overheating

I had the radiator pressure checked prior to flushing the system to remove the air pockets. The Nissan Service Technician informed me of this anomoly when any part is remove/replaced in the cooling system. My initial symptom were the same problems you stated. After pressure checking the radiator and repairing the small overflow hose from the radiator to the resevoir due to leaking fluid(air), We flushed the cooling system. Operations normal. Returned to daily driving. I had my local auto repair shop connect their machine to perform the flush. This took almost an hour to rid the air. Same concept as bleeding brakes

Last edited by fredj; 06-09-2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 06-09-2010, 12:12 AM
deeznuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyndeP View Post
Ok we are still having issues :( we have tried all suggestions other than the new flushing out the cooling system. We are wondering if we just should try a new radiator but there are really no signs of a leak or anything ...I am seriously at my wits end. The mechanic has even said he can't think of anything else :(
Exactly what have you done to try and alleviate the concern?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:47 AM
WyndeP

We have replaced the clutch fan, the water pump, the thermostats, the radiator cap, and flushed the radiator with the flush kits. Sprayed the radiator out at the car wash and then we sprayed it out another time with the air compressor. We also had to change out the swirl control valve because it was faulty.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:04 PM
deeznuts

Have you measured the flow out of the radiator? Stick a water hose in from the top and see if it exits the same out the bottom.
When you did the flush kits, did they include any sort of "stop leak" additive? Have you ever added anything to the coolant system other than coolant/water?
Have you seen any of the parts, or "look inside" the cooling system during the repair. Ever notice any kind of sludge or build up on anything?
Are you positive you have no leaks ? I have seen leaking intake gaskets on an Xterra (different engine) cause an overheating concern. That one was a wild one. I've also seen a few head gaskets cause an overheating problem.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:41 PM
2001 Pathfinder
2001 PATHFINDER LE

Thumbs up overheating

wyndep. Have you used "Knowledgebase" toolbar at top of page. If you've
not checked. Click on knowledgebase, then Service Manuals, Pathfinder, next
the year of your pathfinder. last, download the "EC" Engine Control. Have your
codes ready. Lookup the code and this gives your more insight into the problem hopefully
Old 08-03-2010, 02:16 PM
2001 Pathfinder
2001 PATHFINDER LE

Default over heating pathfinder 3.5 liter

Engine in my 2001 pathfinder continues to over heat after replacing input Thermistat. Found that Thermistat installed incorrectly. Jiggle valve at down(6 o'clock) position instead of up(12 o'clock) position. This allows air to be bleed off when as water inters chamber. See LC Section of your service manual. Thermistat Replacement
Old 08-03-2010, 02:20 PM
2001 Pathfinder
2001 PATHFINDER LE

See my latest post(fredj). check that thermistat installed correctly. jiggle pin up(12 O'CLOCK) position. See LC Section of your servive manual. Thermistat Replacement.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:28 PM
2001 Pathfinder
2001 PATHFINDER LE

Restricted/Obstructed Heater core was removed and cleaned of debris. Engine now runs cool as the otherside of the pillow. After 190k miles of highway driving. We replaced Thermistats(both), Fan clutch and radiator.

Last edited by fredj; 09-28-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:11 AM
bassman81

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyndeP View Post
We have replaced the clutch fan, the water pump, the thermostats, the radiator cap, and flushed the radiator with the flush kits. Sprayed the radiator out at the car wash and then we sprayed it out another time with the air compressor. We also had to change out the swirl control valve because it was faulty.
just wondering if you ever figured this out as i am at about the same place at this point. new clutch fan, new thermostat, new radiator. still over heats at speed. when i make it gear down and get the rpms up it will come back down. so puzzling???
Old 12-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Bassman is your Pfinder 8 cylinder or 6? Check the coolant for cross contamination with trans fluid. Also do the vehicle have rear heater and A/C?
Old 12-12-2011, 03:33 PM
bassman81

Default over heating

it is a v6 i already went through the whole tranny fluid in the radiator issue. my system is now separated from each other. i ran the tranny lines around the radiator to a bigger tranny cooler and looped the radiator fittings back in to each other so they cant cross contaminate again. that was 2 years ago when i put a new tranny in it. overheating began in sept. of this year it used to only heat up when towing my boat now it trys to heat up on hills when it is in overdrive and the rpms are 2000 or lower
Old 12-12-2011, 03:38 PM
bassman81

i really think i have a clogged heater core or air in there vapor locking the system.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Possible heater pump not opening fully and restricting flow at higher engine speeds and ok at lower speeds. I will keep checking.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 PM
2001 Pathfinder

Exclamation Solutions seem a bit unclear

So was there something specific that solved the over heating issue for you guys? I just didn't see a real clear cut answer. I have a Pathfinder 2001, 130K miles and oddly enough my heater is blowing cold air? I did throw a P0217 code as well, however, I have not seem the temp gauge rise above the normal middle temp it always stays at when it warms up. The heater does seem to kick in once I start driving, however, when I first start the engine and the engine warms up it still blows cold air. I have flushed the coolant and refilled with 50% Nissan's brand/50% distilled water and that did not fix the problem. I definitely do not have any leaks from the coolant, radiator, or anywhere. I am going to try and get some air bubbles out of the radiator since I flushed it and I have a new Thermostat that I am going to install. The radiator fluid looked clean when I drained it, frankly, it looked new. Changed the oil and that was clean as well. When the car is idling the exhaust doesn't have any odor or color. I am not opposed to replacing the radiator, but really don't want throw money it. Any thoughts? I've read that it could be the water pump? I have a laser thermometer and will try and gauge the lower and upper radiator hoses to see if they are circulating the coolant. If that's the case, then the hoses should be the same temp right? Thanks for your thoughts.

Tags
nissan, overheating, pathfinder