Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Brake Pad Compound Forums > > Brake Pad Compound Brake Pad Compound
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 02-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Speed2k

Smile Brake Pad Compound

Hi, I just found this forum! Looks like it has some awesome info! The brake pads/rotors on my dad's 2001 4wd Pathy need to be replaced. He's retired and he mostly drives the truck in the city and he doesn't tow either. I'm probably going to buy some aftermarket pads/rotors for him (b/c the pads are over $110 Canadian and the rotors are about the same each). Does anyone know what the stock pads are made from (ie. Ceramic/Sem-Metallic/Organic)? Does anyone have any recommendations (pads and rotors) or perhaps would like to share any experiences any info would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:25 PM
2004 Sentra
2004 Sentra SER Spec V

Talking Our Brake Pad Experiences...

In my modest experience of towing, trailering, racing and (a few) years of driving:

Metallic pads: Great on a track. Lower Dust. Chews the heck out of your rotors!! They don't have the longest life... To the tune of 20-30 thousand street KM on a 4 x 4 the rotors are usually well worn past the point of being able to be turned to remove the large grooves cut into the metal by the now worn pads. But man they can make a Super Charged Denali STOP!

Organic pads: Kevlar (aramid) fibers grab well, can take the heat, not a pile of dust (on a road race car at least). Chews the heck out of your rotors!! And they do GRAB when you hit the brakes - IF the brakes are properly warmed up. Otherwise you best be able to use Flintstone ( your feet) brakes or a near by car with warm brakes to stop!

Ceramic Pads: A good compromise of temperature tolerance (read a half day at the Auto Cross Track / or for Trailering Duty) and good lasting performance for both the rotor and pad. Will make MOUNTAINS of dust on street rims and peeve off all the scrub and swab 'till it gleams car owners.

Semi - Whatever Pads: Taking the best properties of the parent material(s) and mixing with standard brake material (which has mediocre braking performance and heat fades quickly in a performance environment) to create a hybrid that usually minimizes the drawbacks of the parent materials. Your best bet for street / mild - mid performance use. It's actual performance depends on the percentages of the materials mixed in - so brand X's vs. brand Y's formulation is perhaps the more important question in the life and stopping power.

Daily driving pad for someone who is looking for long life and improved performance? NAPA Adaptive OneŽ is a hybrid Ceramic Compound that is probably the best bang for the buck (based on the landlord's experience on fleet pickups, SUVs and delivery trucks). I am a bit biased towards NAPA because we get a ~35% discount!! but give the Adaptive OneŽ set a good look.

Ultra Premium is also a good line from NAPA for the larger engine Altimas, Maximas, and Infinities for a drop in better in all ways than the OEM pad set. Not sure if they have them for trucks / SUVs...?

For my occasional track day use car I am using a EBC Green Stuff pads at all 4 corners and slotted front EBC rotors with NAPA premium series rotors in the rear.

Happy Hunting!
Old 02-11-2010, 03:27 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

I replaced my 05 fronter with power slots rotor and wagner gold pads(ceramic)and they work great.Stay away from the "el-cheapo" rotors and the just warp.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Speed2k

Thanks for the info so far, I never really considered NAPA rotors. Does anyone know the compound for the stock Pathfinder pad ?
Old 04-05-2010, 07:36 PM
GRNMACHINE

I believe OEM is ceramic. Replaced my pads with a Canadian company-Satisfied. Their ceramic pads are around $50.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

i thought the stocks were semimetalic.. maybe not on the years you guys have though.. definitely on the earlier ones.

Tags
brake, compound, pad