Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005-2010 nissan pathfinder; buzzing / whining noise from timing chain area Forums > > 2005-2010 nissan pathfinder; buzzing / whining noise from timing chain area 2005-2010 nissan pathfinder; buzzing / whining noise from timing chain area
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 11-01-2011, 01:03 PM
shanandjake

Default Not a Pathfinder but Close Enough

It really seems to be a cheap move on Nissan's part. Luckily I was at 90K and decided to do it myself with the service manual and these helpful hints. http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/front...40-repair.html

Last edited by shanandjake; 11-01-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:10 AM
duprade

I have a 2005 Path and my timing chain went out at exactly 80,000. Luckily I opted for the extended warranty until 100,000 when I bought it.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

I don't even think i was offered an extended warranty now that i think of it....lucky!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:51 AM
2005 Pathfinder

Default O5 pathfinder 84000 miles

Just call the nissan north america headquarters. They are paying for my timing chain repair.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:53 AM
2006 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by quotejso View Post
Just call the nissan north america headquarters. They are paying for my timing chain repair.
must be nice. i wish my '06 didn't have 130k miles on it
Old 02-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

this makes me furious. I have fought with them for over a month. they are sending me a $250 service gift card....what are your circumstances? Do you have a claim # i can reference? this is absolutely rediculous over a little plastic piece they used. Did you have all recommended service done by dealer? i do all my own work
Old 02-16-2012, 09:17 AM
2005 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmastir View Post
must be nice. i wish my '06 didn't have 130k miles on it
If you havn't already had it fixed I would give them a call. Also a trusted mechanic said just keep oil cleanand you should be good anyway.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

I changed with Synthetic oil every 3K miles and still had this happen to me at 65,000miles.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 AM
2006 Pathfinder

wow full syn every 3k? that's a waste of $$, but i guess if you can afford it, why not..

i do full syn changes every 7k-9k
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 AM
2006 Pathfinder

Default worn out tensioneers and timing chain replacement

I just had to go through same problem with worn out tensioneers and paid $1300! I am not a happy customer, they refused to answer my questions below. you guys can see my response and their response, my case number is there in case you want to use in your reference

Case # 10372671

Hi Karina,

Thanks for your response. I am really disappointed that Nissan do not want to take any action despite the fact so many people complained about this issue. I will be writing my Nissan experience with yelp, facebook, and Nissan forums as well as my personal blog iexploresiliconvalley.com . So as a courtesy would you at-least answer the questions I have asked in my last email and highlighted below?

1) 1) Since I bought my pathfinder brand new and paid $42k, I always kept my maintenance on time with Nissan Dealer and Midas, but I still got a problem with timing chain and nylon (plastic tensioners). The quote from dealer is “they just worn out”, please tell me how long this timing chain/nylon tensioner supposed to last? Where in maintenance schedule or at what mileage we have to replace them?
2)

2) Based on my web researched and Nissan forums, this seem to be common problem in 05-06 pathfinder, and people have already complained and some people got complete reimbursement even though they were out of warranty. I would like to know why they were granted reimbursement? Please see some of the sample link below:
2005-2010 nissan pathfinder; buzzing / whining noise from timing chain area
VQ40 Secondary Timing Chain Issues
3)
3) Is it true that Nissan has updated the chains with rounder edges on the links to prevent this issue from re-occurring? If so, this show the initial poor design and bad reliability for earlier design?

4) 4) Because of this issue, I also found from the first rep named Lorenzo (xtn 457345) that there was a recall on my vehicle for ECM relay, could this have any impact on other related issue of timing chain/nylon tensioner?

5) I also in process of buying a new sedan car, originally I was considering a Altima, but may have to switch to Accord because of this issue. (I can send you my credit union pre approval car loan letter)

Thanks,
Kashif

January 09, 2013

Case # 10372671

Dear Kashif Javaid,

Thank you for allowing us an opportunity to review your concerns regarding your Nissan .

Nissan realizes situations may occur with your Nissan vehicle that unfortunately fall outside of the parameters of the Vehicle Limited Warranty provided with your vehicle. As a company interested in winning lifetime customers, Nissan apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced and we are pleased you took the time to contact us regarding the situation.

Nissan carefully considered your request during a review of all of the available facts pertaining to your specific situation. Nissan is unable to offer financial assistance with the repair of the vehicle.

We realize this may not be the answer you were looking for, but we hope that you understand our position. If you have any further comments or concerns, please feel free to contact our Consumer Affairs department at 1-800-647-7261 and reference your case number.

Sincerely,

Nissan North America, Inc.

Karina Eraldo
Consumer Affairs Representative
Nissan Consumer Affairs
Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

It is total BS. I had mine done on my 05 pathy at 76K miles cost me $1200. I went through the claim process and they gave a a $300 nissan prepaid card. It was a drop in the bucket and wish they did more to help us
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyf250 View Post
It is total BS. I had mine done on my 05 pathy at 76K miles cost me $1200. I went through the claim process and they gave a a $300 nissan prepaid card. It was a drop in the bucket and wish they did more to help us
we all wish they would do more to help us, but a 25% credit is more than a drop in the bucket
i'd be pleased with that consideration, especially since they really didn't have to give you anything at all
Old 01-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Well for something that should NEVER have happened in the first place anything out of my pocket pisses me off
Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 AM
2007 Pathfinder

Well... I've been browsing this forum for about 10 minutes and already I'm posting.

We were just informed upon going in for a regular service that the timing chain needs to be replaced. Thanks to all that have posted here I was able to pressure the dealer to lower the cost a bit so, I'm now looking at ~$1100. However, seeing the number of times this thread has been viewed should be enough for a class-action against Nissan for their poor design/workmanship?

Our Pathfinder has <75,000 miles and has been driven what we consider normally - commute, vacation, off-road 1-2x a year,...) To have to replace this so soon is unacceptable in my mind. couple this with the other bulletins and notices, and this might be our first and last Nissan...
Old 01-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Enthusiast
2013 Altima

This is not necessarily an easy "DIY" for someone who is not mechanically inclined. This is a major engine repair. However, the next one i do, I will take pictures, and post them on here.

Tags
area, buzzing, chain, nissan, noise, pathfinder, timing, whining