Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2001 Pathfinder 4x4 transfer shifter lever problem/question Forums > > 2001 Pathfinder 4x4 transfer shifter lever problem/question 2001 Pathfinder 4x4 transfer shifter lever problem/question
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 10-14-2009, 10:17 AM
jdmartin

Default 2001 Pathfinder 4x4 transfer shifter lever problem/question

Hey all,

Great forum first of all, lots of good info here.

I seem to be having an occasional problem with my 4x4 transfer case shifter.

If I shift from 2wd to 4wd high, no problem - I can do that all day long. If I stop the truck, put it in neutral and then 4wd low, no problem. If I then stop the truck, put it in neutral, and then try to go back to 4wd high, occasionally I will get a grinding situation where the lever has left 4wd low, but will not let me shift into 4wd high *or* back into 4wd low - if I try, I get a serious grinding ala trying to shift gears on a manual tranny without using the clutch. I can get around this by turning off the truck, shifting back into 4wd high, and then restarting, but one shouldn't have to do this - according to the manual, neutral then 4lo-4hi should be an easy shift.

Any ideas?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:44 AM
kll

actually it is a mechanical thing. 2wd to 4hi is electrohydraulic, 4hi to 4lo is mechanical thing. so grinding is normal if you are not pushing lever "inside" with enough pressure. ofcourse you need to be stopping and shifter should be in P or N. once i managed to shift it to 4 lo from 4 hi, when i was slipping backward on a really icy road during winter.

to select 4lo, i remember that i was presing it down then pulling back. to shift into 4hi, less pressure is needed.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:39 PM
jdmartin

Thanks for the reply, I will give it a shot next time I drive it to see if that works.

Tags
2001, 4x4, lever, pathfinder, problem or question, shifter, transfer