Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
2018 Altima 2018 Armada 2018 Frontier 2018 GTR 2018 LEAF 2018 Maxima 2018 Murano 2018 NV 2018 Pathfinder 2018 Rogue 2018 Sentra 2018 Titan XD 2018 Versa Note 2018 Versa Sedan 2018 Z
MyNissan Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Tech Challenge Game Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms Cost Estimator More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Forums > > Help 87 pathy won't run after tuneup
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 06-27-2009, 07:43 PM
9646gt

Default Help 87 pathy won't run after tuneup

Ok, so I just bought an 87 pathy for winter driving here in Alaska for the last year I am stationed here. It's got 240k on the clock and still ran pretty smooth with just a slight chug when I bought her a couple days back. I figured I would do a slight tune up to cure the problem. I replaced the plugs with NGK and verified I had them gapped properly. Using a set of feeler gauges I get get .032 in between the gap of them nice and snug. I tried not to over tighten them for fear of stripping the old threads. I replaced all the wires one at a time and also replaced the dizzy cap and rotor. To replace the cap I simply took out the 2 or 4 screws (can't remember) and also change the rotor. it was lined up with a red mark inside so I made sure it was aligned with the same mark when I put it back in but I may have rotated it ever so slightly as there wasn't much resistance. I also removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it with MAF cleaner from the parts store. I sprayed it and let it dry over night. Also replaced the air filter. Put it all back together and it idled horrible. Almost like there was a big cam in it or something. Tried to drive it and at times had no power at all with the pedal to the floor. It even died once and refused to start without the pedal to the floor. I should also add that I put a can of seafoam in the tank and poured a small amount into the throttle body as well. The ECU had no stored codes as I had the battery cable removed. Any help?!?!
Old 06-27-2009, 07:52 PM
9646gt

I jsut started it again and did the diagnostics mode for the MAF sensor and the lights never flashed but It only made it like 3 minutes and died. I did notice when I removed the air filter and cover there was some white smoke coming from the throttle body. I also tried to run it with the MAF sensor unhooked and got nothing. It started and ran rough then died.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:32 PM
05RIDGEBACK

Sounds like the source of the problem may be the Seafoam that you poured down the TBI.

Have you tried cranking it today?

Make sure that you have the TBI connector and the Mass Air Meter connector completely snapped in to their connections.

Pull the distributor cap .

Inspect the the rotor button and inside of the distributor cap look at the terminals that are located inside at the top.

Let us know what you come up with.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:04 AM
9646gt

I tried cranking it yesterday with the MAF sensor unhooked and it still would barely run. Where should I set the distributor to in order to keep it running long enough to get the timing set? Where can I find a guide to setting it correctly?
Old 06-29-2009, 05:38 PM
9646gt

Ok I had one plug wire mix up that I never noticed. Now it's running good with a slight hesitation so I will try and get the timing set and report back!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:01 AM
05RIDGEBACK

Glad to hear you located the source of the problem.