Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
01 Pathfinder Stalling after winter Storage Forums > > 01 Pathfinder Stalling after winter Storage 01 Pathfinder Stalling after winter Storage
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 06-23-2009, 06:10 AM
jbondar

Default 01 Pathfinder Stalling after winter Storage

I picked up a 2001 Pathfinder last fall with 325,000 km on it. Had it certified and e-tested prior to storage for the winter. I only put about 200 km on it before storage but at the time everything seemed to function well with the exception that I was expecting more power at higher speeds and the check engine light would go on and off occasionally. I conditioned the fuel and went through the proper storage procedures.

Last weekend I took it out of storage and attempted to start it. Started right away but stalled 4 times before it began to idle at a consistent range. Since then I've added premium fuel and an octane booster and changed all the plugs and put around 20 km on it. Every time I start it now it will stall about 4 times before it idles properly. Drove it around the block last night and didn't think it was going to make it up a slight hill (1 minute of driving) but after about 3 minutes of driving the power seemed to come back.

I've ran the diagnostics and get error codes
PO300 (Multiple Cylinder Misfire)
P1130 (Swirl Control Valve Control Solenoid Valve
P1131 (Swirl Control Solenoid Valve)

I'm going to check for any vacuum leaks as I suspect this might all be tied in. I'm contemplating changing all the coil packs, egr valve (don't know where it is) and the front 2 O2 sensors but what I can't figure out is WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED IN STORAGE THAT STARTED ALL OF THIS?

If anyone could provide some guidance I would very much appreciate it. I will start ordering parts tomorrow but was hoping there might be something easy I can do which might fix this ahead of time.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can lead me in the right direction.

Jeff
Old 06-23-2009, 06:19 AM
jbondar

I forgot to add 3 things. When doing the diagnostics the FuelSys1 and FuelSys2 would go back and forth from OL/CL/OL_Fault.

MAF was reading .425-.48 lb/min

Spark advance was 13-15 degrees

Please help!!!! :-)

Last edited by jbondar; 06-23-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Going from open loop to close loop and back again.Were you able to get it to full operating temp?What was the code before you placed the vehicle in winter lay-up?I dont think the coils are the issue.Not likely all coils went bad at the same time.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:38 PM
jeffbondar

Hi tech22, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what open loop to close loop is, is it common?

The pathfinder will get up to normal operating temp at which point it idles fine. Doesn't drive 100% but it doesn't stall.

Not sure what the codes were before storage, just bought a code reader on the weekend.

Any suggestions as to where I should start looking?
Tonight I'm going to order the 2 front 02 sensors and I'm thinking about picking up a MAF. Read a post on here about guys using the oem MAF from an Altima that works very well.

I just don't know what to do about the swirl control issues. Just ordered a shop manual but in the meantime I'm not too sure where to look.

Jeff
Old 07-06-2009, 05:44 AM
jeffbondar

I changed the MAF on the weekend and it starts and runs great.

Cleared the codes and i went from 3 down to 1. The existing one is the swirl control valve. The truck runs great now so I won't bother with this last code.

Tags
pathfinder, stalling, storage, winter