Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
05 Pathfinder - 1st day owned - problems Forums > > 05 Pathfinder - 1st day owned - problems 05 Pathfinder - 1st day owned - problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 06-06-2009, 01:59 PM
rofmorg

Default 05 Pathfinder - 1st day owned - problems

We just bought a 05 Pathfinder - first Nissan ever owned - we bought it due to reliability...
about 5 hours after we drove it off the lot we started having problems - here they are:

1. Engine light came on
2. Oil pressure gauge goes very low after driving it for a few minutes. When starting from a red light, there is no power - you step on the gas, and it revs, but it barely goes. We got an oil change and the oil levels are good.
3. When we turn on the AC, it makes a light thumping sound (hard to describe) for a few seconds,and sometimes it makes a hissing sound which seems to come from the vents. When we turn the AC off, it makes the thumping sound again for a few seconds.

This is all on the first day of ownership!

We test drove this vehicle several times, and there were no problems....unreal.
I am not mechanical, so any ideas would help. I'm taking it in to a dealership to get checked out in a few days.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:45 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofmorg View Post
We just bought a 05 Pathfinder - first Nissan ever owned - we bought it due to reliability...
about 5 hours after we drove it off the lot we started having problems - here they are:

1. Engine light came on
2. Oil pressure gauge goes very low after driving it for a few minutes. When starting from a red light, there is no power - you step on the gas, and it revs, but it barely goes. We got an oil change and the oil levels are good.
3. When we turn on the AC, it makes a light thumping sound (hard to describe) for a few seconds,and sometimes it makes a hissing sound which seems to come from the vents. When we turn the AC off, it makes the thumping sound again for a few seconds.

This is all on the first day of ownership!

We test drove this vehicle several times, and there were no problems....unreal.
I am not mechanical, so any ideas would help. I'm taking it in to a dealership to get checked out in a few days.
With the engine cold check your coolant in the radiator or the overflow tank to see if it looks milky pink. The radiators on the 2005 had problems with the internal transmission coolers. They would leak into the radiator mixing the 2 fluids and destroying the transmission.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:18 PM
rofmorg

Awesome....Any idea what this could cost...ballpark?

thx for your help.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:28 PM
BazPath

From another post, the cost of replacing the transmission is closer to, gulp, $7,000! If the transmission radiator has not already been replaced, then I suggest you do that immediately. As for the low oil level, that has also bee reported, I am not a mechanic, but I can only prsume a faulty oil pump or send unit? Maybe some of you folks can help here.

I would wait on the AC, it could be just the compressor kicking in and out which is normal.

Best of luck to you, my car is a 2007, and so far, knowck on wood so good after 35,000 miles.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:31 AM
rofmorg

7 grand...? OMG

I wish i could just get my $$ back....I wonder what my rights are....GRRR
Old 06-08-2009, 02:51 PM
j.j.

I think you have 3 days to back out of a contract. Check your state laws. I would definitely take the 05' back. I think it was the worst year for Pathfinders.

Sorry about your truck.
JJ
Old 06-08-2009, 03:40 PM
rofmorg

Hey guys - thanx for all the help thus far...I just got off the phone with a transmission guy, and he told me the Pathfinder is coming up with codes 1754 and 1764 - anyone know what these might be..?
Old 06-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

those are transmission codes...... just so you know.... even if you check your radiator/reservour/ tranny dip stick.... it will probably look normal... but once you drain the tranny fluid, it will probaby look like a straberry shake substance...

i do believe you have a radiator failure causing coolant to contaminate your transmission.

your symtoms are very extreme.... so there is a chance your transmission is destroyed.... someone caught the problem when they notice an odd feeling at 50mph... he is over 100,000 miles. he flush the tranny and filled with tranny fluid then ran for a week and drained again.

if you just bought your car weeks ago, go find the owner of the dealership and speak to him... if they dont want to work with you on this matter.

get an artist to paint a lemon on the doors and hood and have it towed and parked at 5 am in front of their car lot...... by 8 am they just might call you to work something out and move the truck.

how many miles on the truck???
Old 06-10-2009, 12:11 AM
BazPath

SO I am guessing that changing the Tranny Fluid Frequently would help. Should I go ahead and change my transmission radiator on my 2007, say at 50,000 miles, just to be safe?
Old 06-10-2009, 06:38 AM
rofmorg

So here's an update to my situation....I took the Pathfinder (122,000 kms or 76,000 miles) to a transmission shop, and told him about the lack of power and everything I listed above. When I drove it to the shop, the Pathfinder was driving perfectly....weird. The shop owner took it for a drive, and it was still driving as it should.
He told me that transmissions don't fix themselves - if it was hooped it was hooped, and he didn't think this one had any problems (as per the test drive anyways).
He put it on the hoist and hooked the computer up to it to see if it had any error coders - which it did (1754 and 1764). He said they were transmission codes both solenoid related.
He checked the solenoids in question, and the general health of the tranny, and he said everything looked perfect. He said the fluid was totally clean, and it looked as though is was really taken care of. He took the engine light off as well.

Now he suggests that we drive it, and if the issues start again, come back, and he can replace the solenoids...which would cost aprox. $500 which includes labor.
It would cost almost $2000 for the same thing at the Nissan dealership....

So now, I guess I play the waiting game...but I am thankful that I don't have to replace a $7000 transmission. It looks as though an extended warranty purchase is in order....
thanx to everyone who posted - i will keep this thread updated....
Old 06-10-2009, 08:02 PM
BazPath

That is great news. Definitely much better than a new tranny. I suggest replacing the transmission radiator (given that it is a 2005 model) if the cost is reasonable and you intend on keeping the car. That will be my first question when I go to the dealer for her 60,000 KM service. Let us know how it goes. . .

Tags
1st, day, owned, pathfinder, problems