Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
96 pathfinder starts sometimes then won't Forums > > 96 pathfinder starts sometimes then won't 96 pathfinder starts sometimes then won't
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 05-21-2009, 08:11 PM
sfisha

Default 96 pathfinder starts sometimes then won't

HI there, my first and probably not last post =)

1996 Pathfinder with about 270,000km on it.

Been having problems with it the last 2 years, it seems to start everytime in the winter and run fine, but as soon as summer hits it all goes to sh**. For example, one day I started it up and drove about 1km then it just slowly died and wouldn't start up again. Another example, I had it parked for about 2 days outside in 30+d celcius (86+ F) and it didnt start, left it for a day or 2 and it started up and made it home on a 100km distance.

I just tested it today ( havent used it in a few weeks) and it started about 2-3 times in a row ( I was just in Park and idling ) then the next time i tried starting it would turn over but no go.

I received the following codes:

P0325 - Knock sensor (KS) (DTC: 0304)
P0135 - Front heated oxygen sensor heater (Right bank) (DTC: 0901)
P0141 - Rear heated oxygen sensor heater (right bank)(DTC:0902)
P0155 - Front heated oxygen sensor heater (left bank) (DTC: 1001)
P0161 - Rear heated oxygen sensor heater (left bank)(dtc: 1002)
P0740 - A/T Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Solenoid Valve

It was idling at about 1300 RPM.

The fuel pump is brand new, and same with the starter.

I havent run any diagnostics with the codes yet.

Any ideas? Seems people have problems with Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

unplug the O2 sensors and see if the truck actually improves. it should if you're at sea level or near it (<1000' +/-)
Old 06-05-2009, 05:57 PM
sfisha

I will give that a try, I am out of town so I can't at the moment, I am beginning to think my catalytic converter is plugged. Can the 1996 pathfinder run without the catalytic converter if i remove it? I know some vehicles can and some can't. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 PM
kll

it can run. virtually any car can work without converter. this will result in check engine light because of emmision controls.(p0420 efficiency below treshold, related to second sensor on each bank) two days ago, my foxygen sensor got borken, really broken on its tip, and car was giving (p0171 lean burn) error. everybody says it is due to broken MAF sensor but it was not. I removed the oxygen sensor and it was broken. replaced with universal BOSCH lambda sensor and cleared codes resetted ECU, now it works.

but your problem seems crank position sensor as suggested. if it cant measure the position of your crank, you may not be able to start your car.

also check your N/P relay under hood. neutral /park relay. once i made them get wet and can didnt run for 10 hours. they dried out and it started. one could hear the relay clicks but no starter at all.

Last edited by kll; 06-05-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:08 PM
sfisha

After replacing the fuel filter, the oxygen sensors were still giving a code, so i decided to check the fuse for the O2 sensors (fuse #25 - 10A) and sure enough it was blown, replaced, re-checked codes and now the only 2 codes remaining are the:

P0325 - Knock sensor (KS) (DTC: 0304)
P0740 - A/T Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Solenoid Valve

Seems to have been starting fine the last few days but, before replacing the fuel filter it wouldn't start so I scanned the codes and, it read the same 6 mentioned in my first post, after erasing only 1 remained (P0740 TCC Solenoid Valve) and then I was able to start it up no problem but, the Knock sensors & O2 codes showed up again (obviously because of the blown fuse) so I'm wondering if the O2 sensors were causing it to intermittently not start..or if I'm still facing a dilemma.

My multimeter is broken so as soon as I pick up a new one I will test the electrical on the TCC and knock sensor.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:15 AM
kll

tcc can cause it stall but do not prevent you to start it again. ( it acts like you forgot to press clutch at red light)

knock sensor overrides the timing and retards ignition. so if it is wrong it may not restart.
if i were you i would be checking the crank position sensor. if it is broken as well it can be the reason the computer things knock sensor is broken because the crank position is being in a different position.

once i own a r50 pathfinder with LPG system on it, i faced lots of problems and concluded that pathfinder was not so good on electronics and it was not so smart on diagnosis. i finally sold it after few AT problems last May.

Tags
pathfinder, starts