Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
running good til i changed th spark plug wires? Forums > > running good til i changed th spark plug wires? running good til i changed th spark plug wires?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 05-10-2009, 11:04 AM
88pathfinder

Unhappy running good til i changed th spark plug wires?

Hey yall. I just bought a 88 pathfinder that hasnt been ran in 6 months but ran great for the first couple of days. i even took i mudding a couple of days ago. All i did was give it a tune-up. I had my distributor cap checked and it was good along with the spark plugs which was also good. But I was told that the wires needed changed. So i got some and I changed them. Before you ask yes one at a time and i matched each one i took off with a new one with the same length. we checked th fuel injectors, fuel filters, changed the oil, everything we could think of. It will crank up, idles for a second but only with my foot on the gas, and then it cuts off within 10 to 15 seconds. I heard it could be my converter clogged, but my truck was running fine when i took it to my friends house. we changed the wires and tried to crank it within 20 minutes of it running fine and then didnt crank. Please comment with any suggestions, i'm open to anything. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:32 PM
deeznuts

Did you put the fuel filter in backwards (I've always been told they won't run right if it is done, never tried it ) ? Go back over all your connectors and hoses make sure nothing came off/unplugged by accident.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:23 PM
masseycrew1

Default Idling

Ok, the fact that it won't remain in idle for a few sounds like mine. I thought it needed a tune up too.

Just before I took it in for one, my check engine light came on.

The codes the mechanic pulled were misfire cylinder 6 and knock sensor.

They told me that the knock sensor can cause it to shut off b/c it won't read whether it's getting the right amount of fuel.

Ask a mechanic- I'm not one, but I will tell you another thing:

If you pull a knock sensor code have them CHECK the sensor too... because acc. to a mechanic I consulted, it could be the wiring and assembly and not the sensor itself.

He also said that Pathy's are "notorious" for having shorter-living knock sensors.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

correct on the connection thing instead of the sensor. very possible and the first thing i'd check before tossing hard earned $ at it.

btw. the misfire and knock sensor thing is an issue that pops up here and there. make sure to check the connection to the knock sensor twice.. if not, it may need replacement. it may be a pita as normally it is part of the dizzy. not sure about r50 though.

plugs are cheap.. change them, eh? also go over everything twice to make sure your connections etc. are the way they ought to be.

Last edited by momud; 05-29-2009 at 07:27 PM.