Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Transmission whine '06 Forums > > Transmission whine '06 Transmission whine '06
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 04-02-2009, 03:02 PM
RJU3

Question Transmission whine '06

The auto. transmission on my '06 Pathfinder has started a high pitch whine at low speeds and while accelerating. Sounds normal at cruising speed. 90,000 miles.

The transmission fluid was changed at around 65,000 miles by the dealer. Should the filter have been changed also?

Any one have any ideas on the cause of the whine?
Old 04-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Check fluid level with the engine warmed up.What type of fluid was used when the trans service was done?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:58 AM
RJU3

Thanks.
I'll check the fluid level but I think it is probably ok. When I took it to the dealer about the whine they finally decided (after about a day) that it was the torque converter. I would hope they would have checked the fluid level 1st.

When I took it in to have the new tc installed they called and said they found metal bits in the pan and recommended replacing the transmission. We've ordered a used one with 27m miles on it. Plans are to put it in next week.

The replacement fluid was Nissan Matic J according to the invoice and that is what service bulletin NTB08-049b calls for, if Matic S is not available.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:44 AM
RJU3

Turns out it was not the transmission at all. The belief now is that it is the timing chain and sprockets. There is a technical bulletin that addresses that and says all those parts need to be replaced. The vehicle runs fine, it just whines until it is at cruising speed.
What long term or serious damage will that cause?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:02 PM
loan seller

take a look on club frontier.com. they cover your timing chain issue