Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Low oil pressure at idle - 05 Pathfinder LE 4.0 60,000 miles Forums > > Low oil pressure at idle - 05 Pathfinder LE 4.0 60,000 miles Low oil pressure at idle - 05 Pathfinder LE 4.0 60,000 miles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 10-30-2009, 04:47 AM
Rjarr

I posted back in May about this issue but, have recently developed another problem and I'm curious if they are related. My vehicle started making a loud whirring/buzzing noise on startup that became less noticeable when the engine warmed up. This problem is discussed elsewhere on this forum and references a NTB about timing chain guides/tensioner failure. The dealership confirmed the failure and estimated repairs at $1836.00.

I'm curious if the low oil pressure at idle was a contributing factor to the guide/tensioner failure due to lack of lubrication? Is anyone else experiencing both of these issues? If the low oil pressure is caused by a timing chain cover gasket failure, it sounds plausable that related parts weren't receiving the necessary lubrication.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and Nissan Customer Care could care less. I spoke to them and politely described my concerns and referenced the NTB. A rep called two days later and said they would not help with the repairs.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:44 AM
cmcbeth

I recently purchased an 05 Frontier and have been experiencing the same issue, in reading all of this, the fix sounds expensive. Has anyone taken the advice of replacing the gasket? Has it addressed the problem? How much did it cost?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:05 PM
1stcrew

Default 05 pathy oil pump

I'm in the process of replacing the oil pump and replace all necessary oil seals and or gaskets on mine.. I have the same issues of oil pressures dropping when car warm up.. did all the testings, it leave me to believe oil pump gone bad... only last thing would be that the main bearings and or any oil passages on the motor have a crack or headgasket gone bad... will know when I assemble oil pump later this morning.. it is alot of careful inspection of every parts I disasembles and inspects so might take a lil longer to see everythings... BTW, this is an 05 Pathy wit about 85K on motor...
Old 03-19-2010, 04:42 AM
WheatBread

any updates?
Old 03-14-2011, 05:51 PM
dentbuster

Unhappy low oil pressure at idle 05 pathfinder

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I don't want to spend wasted money at a dealer just changing parts at my expense? I spoke to a dealer and got the same response that I've heard on this forum. Anybody with a solution?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentbuster View Post
Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I don't want to spend wasted money at a dealer just changing parts at my expense? I spoke to a dealer and got the same response that I've heard on this forum. Anybody with a solution?
in the case of unusual oil pressure reading with no other symptom(s), the most likely cause is a faulty oil pressure sending unit
Old 03-15-2011, 08:42 AM
dentbuster

Default low oil pressure at idle 05 pathfinder

Thanks for the response, but since then I have changed the sending unit and installed a nissan filter also as someone told me that it might be that also. I just don't want to incur the labor charges to change the oil pump with the same result. Has anyone with the same low oil pressure at idle problem seem to find a cure? I've read so many forums about this but it seems no one has written when they found a cure
Old 03-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentbuster View Post
Thanks for the response, but since then I have changed the sending unit and installed a nissan filter also as someone told me that it might be that also. I just don't want to incur the labor charges to change the oil pump with the same result. Has anyone with the same low oil pressure at idle problem seem to find a cure? I've read so many forums about this but it seems no one has written when they found a cure
where on your guage is it registering @ idle?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:23 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryart View Post
where on your guage is it registering @ idle?
Posting a picture would be ideal. That way you can compare it to all of ours.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:32 AM
dentbuster

very bottom at idle but as soon as you touch the gas its up and light is out. Tried new switch and new oil and nissan filter, no change. idle pressure checked and 9at idle and 40+ at 2000rpms. Can't condemn oil pump and really don't want to go thru all that labor with no positive answer
Old 03-28-2011, 10:37 AM
lross

Guys ... Has anyone found a solution ...
I have a '06 Pathfinder (72,500 miles) that does exactly what has been described by tomlennon ... I had a mechanic replace the take the oil pan off ... YIKES, he found metal shavings in the pan ... He back tracked it to the main bearing rubbing ... I routinely changed the oil (3K - 6K miles); maintained the vehicle; no heavy towing ... Has anyone else taken the oil pan off and discovered anything?

I HAVE reached out to Nissan to ask for "GOOD WILL" help in repairing the vehicle (long shot but, worth the try since I have metal shaving in the pan) ... I am going through the process now ...

Does anyone think the following recall on the Nissan vehicles related to ECM relay would cause this issue with the low pressure?
Recall Summary: Nissan is recalling certain model year 2004-2006 armada, titan, infiniti QX56 and model year 2005-2006 frontier, Pathfinder and xterra vehicles. The intelligent power distribution module (ipdm) assembly contains an engine control module (ECM) relay that has a diode for electrical current noise reduction. The ECM relay may allow silicon vapor to form and, over time, the silicon evaporates from the diode molding which causes silicon oxide to develop on the ECM relay contact due to arcing.

Last edited by lross; 03-28-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 03-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Does anyone think the following recall on the Nissan vehicles related to ECM relay would cause this issue with the low pressure?
[B
Recall [/B]Summary: Nissan is recalling certain model year 2004-2006 armada, titan, infiniti QX56 and model year 2005-2006 frontier, Pathfinder and xterra vehicles. The intelligent power distribution module (ipdm) assembly contains an engine control module (ECM) relay that has a diode for electrical current noise reduction. The ECM relay may allow silicon vapor to form and, over time, the silicon evaporates from the diode molding which causes silicon oxide to develop on the ECM relay contact due to arcing.
No. "Apples and Oranges" as the saying goes...
Old 04-05-2011, 03:59 AM
jtweb1

My '05 Pathfinder with ~100K miles has been exhibiting the same behavior.
Has anyone successfully resolved this issue?
Old 04-05-2011, 06:08 AM
BJ521

I don't drive it that often so, I'm not exactly sure when it started. The needle stays within the "safe" range but, occasionally I do notice a slight shutter at idle that lasts momentarily. My initial thoughts were to do as some of you already have.....change from 5w30 to 10w30, manually verify oil pressure, investigate oil pressure relief valve, or consider oil pump replacement. Regardless, my automotive experience tells me not to ignore this....as the dealership has advised others to do.

The only other issue I have is a "service engine" light that is associated with a low current to the fuel sending unit. The fuel gauge is inaccurate and screws with the "dte" calculation.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:20 PM
2005 Pathfinder

Default Same oil problem

05 pathfinder 95000 miles, oil pressure gauge drops when warm, just got the car, does anyone found the solution, is not that bad, but since reading all the comments, i worry a little be. now i am reading about the coolant going into the transmission, why a dint read all this before buy it...i love nissan but....

Tags
000, idle, low, miles, oil, pathfinder, pressure