Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Low oil pressure at idle - 05 Pathfinder LE 4.0 60,000 miles Forums > > Low oil pressure at idle - 05 Pathfinder LE 4.0 60,000 miles Low oil pressure at idle - 05 Pathfinder LE 4.0 60,000 miles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 05-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Rjarr

...Guess what? I'm having the same issue. My google search turned up this thread describing exactly what I am experiencing. Unfortunately, it seems none of you have received any help from the dealership.....My wife's 2005 Pathfinder (69k) seems fine, other than the lower-than normal oil pressure at idle. I don't drive it that often so, I'm not exactly sure when it started. The needle stays within the "safe" range but, occasionally I do notice a slight shutter at idle that lasts momentarily. My initial thoughts were to do as some of you already have.....change from 5w30 to 10w30, manually verify oil pressure, investigate oil pressure relief valve, or consider oil pump replacement. Regardless, my automotive experience tells me not to ignore this....as the dealership has advised others to do.

The only other issue I have is a "service engine" light that is associated with a low current to the fuel sending unit. The fuel gauge is inaccurate and screws with the "dte" calculation. I'm curious if the other comments regarding a wiring issue could be related to both problems?

I will report any news or developments with my vehicle and really appreciate reading everyone's comments. Hopefully we can all resolve this issue in the end. I'm seriously considering buying an extended warrantly in the event of a future catastrophic failure. It would be less expensive than replacing an engine.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 05-28-2009, 05:29 AM
Seth

Thanks for the feedback, Rob. As far as I can tell, my '05 does not have any electrical issues. I did buy the extended 4 year, 48,000 mile extended warranty with the vehicle just to be on the safe side.

Problem is still unresolved. It speaks volumes that we have all found this thread from Google searches - obviously the problem was severe enough, and due to the lack of assistance from our dealerships, that we needed to take it upon ourselves to find a solution.

Surely there is some unoconventional means (possibly a very talented, independent mechanic) to finding a solution? To be honest, I am fine with the rough idle in the sense that it is not particuarly obnoxious. However, any mechanical motion that creates such a vibration cannot possibly be good for the car.

Lets keep this thread going. Should any of you find a solution, I beg of you - please come back here and post your findings!
Old 05-30-2009, 10:04 PM
BazPath

Definitely not a good sign, but if your engine has not exploded yet, it could be a sender unit gone bad? Do they not use a code reader at Nissan? Try taking it to a different dealer, if that is an option in your area. Good luck and pelase keep this alive.

I only have 31,000 miles on my 2007 truck and I intend on keeping her for a long time, BUT, having read these stories, I am now getting cold feet about long term ownership prospects :( I can't afford a new car, so I will have to do what I can to keep her going for a couple of more years.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:44 AM
Seth

Unfortunately there are not any codes or lights on. The dealership is state-of-the-art, but the head mechanic that I spoke to is the problem (I think). He is one of those very arrogant guys that oozes so much confidence in his own opinions that it would take an appearance from God Himself to change his mind. In other words, after the first trip to the shop, and their oil change and not finding anything wrong, there is no way he will admit defeat. I apologize for the jaded cynicism, but this experience is all too common with our local shops!

So Im left looking for alternatives. Ive been told to find a master technician at another local shop. I think I may have found a good one, and I will be taking the Pathfinder in later this week. Hopefully we will find the problem and get it taken care of. I will let you all know once I hear something.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:09 AM
BazPath

Definitely try another dealership, they typically love to prove that they are superior than the other dealership, which works for the customer's favor sometimes.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:41 PM
JASONfromHOUSTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth View Post
I have a 2005 Pathfinder (SE), ~44,000 miles.

When I idle at a stoplight/stop sign, the oil pressure dips to very low levels and the engine begins to run very rough (enough to cause significant vibrations). As soon as I tap the accelerator, oil pressure climbs to normal levels and all roughness vanishes until my next stop.

The frequency with which this is occuring in this particular vehicle is disturbing - has anyone else found a solution?

my FRONTIER did the same thing. i figured out the roughness was because my idle speed was set too low, so the dealer raised it to normal for free. BUT, they didnt even know why the oil pressure reads so low, and its still a mystery im trying to solve
Old 06-22-2009, 03:08 PM
smorga

Default Same problem with 05 Pathfinder SE Off Road

I Let my mechanic look over ours because I know nothing about vehicles. The first thing he noticed was the fluctuating oil pressure gauge. At idle in park, the gauge was just above the Low reading, when I shifted to park, It dropped to the low line. While driving, it read fine but would drop again at stop lights. He said that this usally indicates excessive engine wear. An after market air suspension kit was installed which led him to think that the previous owner probably towed something heavy, causing the engine wear. I hope that someone finds another explanation because we really love the truck and would hate to back out of our purchase.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:50 PM
BazPath

Towing heavy loads should not have caused this. I regularly tow a 6,000 lb trailer with my truck and have had no issues thus far. If the engine was poorly maintained, that would be something else, but the was WAS designed with possible heavy towing in mind.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:37 PM
BazPath

Part cost is not the issue, it is the labor cost, especially at dealerships.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:42 PM
JASONfromHOUSTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorga View Post
I Let my mechanic look over ours because I know nothing about vehicles. The first thing he noticed was the fluctuating oil pressure gauge. At idle in park, the gauge was just above the Low reading, when I shifted to park, It dropped to the low line. While driving, it read fine but would drop again at stop lights. He said that this usally indicates excessive engine wear. An after market air suspension kit was installed which led him to think that the previous owner probably towed something heavy, causing the engine wear. I hope that someone finds another explanation because we really love the truck and would hate to back out of our purchase.

i dunno my truck has almost 60k miles and i dont think excessive wear is the problem cuz the earliest i noticed was at like 20k miles. im the only owner and the most wear ive put on it is my 400 lb trx400ex 4wheeler
Old 06-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

I just got off the phone with a master tech in virgina and this is what he told me.On two accounts, both on 05 Frontiers, with low oil pressure at ldle when completely warmed up...Root cause was a very small gasket located on the inter timing chain cover that is behind a "L" shaped steel cover on the right hand side.I looked this up and it is a bit hard to see but found it.Down side...No gasket in nissan parts catalog and no service bulletins has been issued.You have to replace the intire cover as a assy.at about $200.00 just for the part.Make sure all the test have been preformed before you have this done.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech22 View Post
I just got off the phone with a master tech in virgina and this is what he told me.On two accounts, both on 05 Frontiers, with low oil pressure at ldle when completely warmed up...Root cause was a very small gasket located on the inter timing chain cover that is behind a "L" shaped steel cover on the right hand side.I looked this up and it is a bit hard to see but found it.Down side...No gasket in nissan parts catalog and no service bulletins has been issued.You have to replace the intire cover as a assy.at about $200.00 just for the part.Make sure all the test have been preformed before you have this done.
Thank you very much for the tip. I'm it will come handy.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:13 PM
smorga

Default Low Pressure At Idle - Status

Has anyone tried this as a solution? If you have, do you know if it will be covered under the powertrain warranty?
Old 08-21-2009, 07:31 AM
crd

i just started having the same problem with my 2005 xterra. the idle is rough on mine as well and can hear some rattling from underneath. has anybody else solved the problem with the timing chain cover gasket??
Old 10-29-2009, 06:27 PM
2005 Pathfinder

Default Same issue

I have a 2005 Pathfinder with about 75,000KM (or 48,000 miles?). Oil pressure is normal when the engine is cold but as soon as the engine warms up the oil pressure drops very low at idle. Went to dealer for usual maintainance and they said the oil was low. It was but not past the fill line, I checked before I took it in. Engine still has low pressure at idle when warm.

I was wondering if anyone tried the solution above? Or any positive outcomes with this issue?

Tags
000, idle, low, miles, oil, pathfinder, pressure