Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
350Z spark plugs replacement Forums > > 350Z spark plugs replacement 350Z spark plugs replacement
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nissan Z Nissan 240Z, 260Z, 280Z, 280ZX, 300ZX, 350Z, 370Z, Discussion Forum

Old 03-10-2013, 02:21 PM
2004 350Z

Default 350Z spark plugs replacement

So my service engine light came on and the car became a little harder to start. Instead of two cranks and vromm vrooom! it took 7 or 8 cranks but ran like a champ once it started. I went to the service shop where I was told the code for camshaft sensor came up so I had it replaced and an oil change since it was due. I drove two blocks to Autozone to buy new sparkplugs once I left the shop and when I got back in the car and started it the sevice engine light was on again.

It was Saturday and the shop closed at 3:00pm. They said they didn't have time to replace the spark plugs that I needed. I figured how hard can it be considering I'm reasonably good under the hood. I went home and got busy working and realized wtf! These little fockers are in hard to get to places. When I got to the driver side closest to the firewall plug I found the coil pack came apart and there was oil in the spark plug chamber...not a lot but enough to be noticeable and get the spark plug wet. I bought a new coil pack for $100 bucks and replaced all the spark plugs. Son of a gun! One of my cylinders isn't firing and I'm getting a backfire now...runs very rough.

I parked the car at the shop and will deal with it first Monday. Needless to say I'm bummed. $400 in the hole and still worse off than I started.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:46 AM
2004 350Z

wooooaaaw, That is bad. Really bad and serious. At the starting only it gave the sign that it had some kind of problem in it. Who knows after you drove it all started or not, but that is bad and a heavy stroke you got there. I might ask my friend who is also one in the united car care. Hope i could get any idea or any help i could provide to you. Till then i say Good luck till Monday..!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 PM
2004 350Z

Mystery solved! I replaced the spark plugs fine but somehow I mixed up the 4 and 6 cylinder's connector plugs for the coil packs. That fixed the backfire. It turns out there are two camshaft sensors so once the shop replaced the second one the light went out. Runs like a champ once again!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Thanks for letting us know!! I'm glad you found the problem.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Sounds like you need to replace the spark plug tube seals, as well, if there was oil in the hole.

Tags
350z, plugs, replacement, spark