Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Transmission fluid change required? Forums > > Transmission fluid change required? Transmission fluid change required?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nissan NV Nissan NV Commercial Vehicle Discussion Forum

Old 02-12-2020, 08:10 AM
2013 Truck

Question Transmission fluid change required?

I have a 2013 Nissan NV2500 V8 with 100K miles on it.

I looked at the maintenance schedule for the van and I couldn't figure out if I should replace the transmission fluid at some point, from my understanding it's a sealed/maintenance-free transmission and doesn't require any fluid changing but I wanted to verify.

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:30 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezenvan View Post
I have a 2013 Nissan NV2500 V8 with 100K miles on it.

I looked at the maintenance schedule for the van and I couldn't figure out if I should replace the transmission fluid at some point, from my understanding it's a sealed/maintenance-free transmission and doesn't require any fluid changing but I wanted to verify.

Thanks.
Maintenance free fluids are a myth. Manufacturers are doing that to give people the impression that the cost of ownership is low. I would change the fluid at 30,000 mile intervals.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:52 AM
2013 Truck

Thanks, I'll get it changed then.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:48 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Nissan only says to inspect at 15,000 mile intervals. That basically is their way of saying, "if it looks/smells dirty or burnt, service it, otherwise leave it alone." That's going to depend a lot on how the vehicle is used and under what kind of conditions. If the vehicle does a lot of stress-free highway miles, the ATF can easily last 100,000 miles. If the vehicle is heavily loaded most of the time and/or tows heavy loads a lot, then it makes sense to replace it more often. My Pathfinders, which have the same transmission, do mostly highway miles and seldom tow; I feel comfortable with do a drain and fill (which replaces about a gallon of ATF) every 60,000 miles. I always use Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF which I get in a gallon jug at Walmart for $17, which is fully compatible with NissanMatic Type "S" ATF. I have a combined 445,000 miles on my two, R51 Pathfinders and I started using Maxlife ATF at 45,000 miles and 85,000 miles, respectively, and both shift like brand new. Also, there's no filter to replace, so just remove the 19MM drain plug, drain the fluid, replace the gasket on the drain plug (Nissan 11026-01M02) and re-install (torque 25 lb-ft), then refill the transmission. There is a 10MM head bolt that attaches the dipstick to the dipstick tube, so just remove that bolt and pull the dipstick out to check it or install a funnel to refill the fluid. Fluid level should be checked on a level surface with the engine running and trans fluid fully warmed up.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:41 PM
2013 Truck

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
Nissan only says to inspect at 15,000 mile intervals. That basically is their way of saying, "if it looks/smells dirty or burnt, service it, otherwise leave it alone." That's going to depend a lot on how the vehicle is used and under what kind of conditions. If the vehicle does a lot of stress-free highway miles, the ATF can easily last 100,000 miles. If the vehicle is heavily loaded most of the time and/or tows heavy loads a lot, then it makes sense to replace it more often. My Pathfinders, which have the same transmission, do mostly highway miles and seldom tow; I feel comfortable with do a drain and fill (which replaces about a gallon of ATF) every 60,000 miles. I always use Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF which I get in a gallon jug at Walmart for $17, which is fully compatible with NissanMatic Type "S" ATF. I have a combined 445,000 miles on my two, R51 Pathfinders and I started using Maxlife ATF at 45,000 miles and 85,000 miles, respectively, and both shift like brand new. Also, there's no filter to replace, so just remove the 19MM drain plug, drain the fluid, replace the gasket on the drain plug (Nissan 11026-01M02) and re-install (torque 25 lb-ft), then refill the transmission. There is a 10MM head bolt that attaches the dipstick to the dipstick tube, so just remove that bolt and pull the dipstick out to check it or install a funnel to refill the fluid. Fluid level should be checked on a level surface with the engine running and trans fluid fully warmed up.

I got the van used with 60,000 miles and put another 40,000 on it while using it as a campervan conversion so there's plenty of weight on it. Would you recommend going with the drain and fill in that case or a full flush?

Tags
change, fluid, required, transmission