Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Crank position sensor - Murano 2003 - recall Forums > > Crank position sensor - Murano 2003 - recall Crank position sensor - Murano 2003 - recall
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Murano Nissan Murano Discussion Forum

Old 08-04-2006, 08:03 PM
ellehanzik

Default Crank position sensor - Murano 2003 - recall

I've been having problems with my 2003 Murano for a few months now... Acutually about 8 months ago I had my car serviced at the Nissan dealership where I purchased my car, I had them replace my battery at this time. Since then my car often will not turn over the first time I start it. I've read a Bulletin that states if the battery is disconnected for longer then an hour it could possibly do this. (I read this today)

Recently - My car's SES light has come on and gone off 3 or 4 times in a 6th month period. Yesterday my car died while I was pulling into an intersection and only started after I cracked it 8 to 10 times & I gased it. I called my service department and they told me to bring it in, that the SES was probably due to the "recall on the gas tank".

When they called to tell me what the problem was they said it was the "Crank Position Sensor" over heating due to the "Computer showing I had not had my oil changed in 21,000 miles!!!!!!! I told them that I had my oil changed about 3 months ago (at least I paid to have my oil changed) they said that "the computer had not been reset so my warranty would not cover this $335 sensor replacement!"
I don't understand if my oil has been changed why the computer wouldn't read this???
But my biggest worry is - IF my engine had no/low oil & this is what caused my Crank position sensor to over heat, then why didn't the indicator on my dash ever read that my car was over heating? and two I feel like this is too much of a coinsedince that the recall is identicle to what has been happening with me & like "mpe235"- my vin number was NOT on the recall list!
I feel like the Service Manager is trying to take advantage of me because I'm a women. When I asked him if my extended warranty, that I paid a whole lot of money for, would cover this he said "no, probably not since the computer shows the problem is due to neglect"! Why wouldn't he just say no???? Then he told me the sensor would be $335, $129 to flush the engine & $15 to change my oil - $479!! I don't think he even addressed the recall on the fuel tank! I'm from the South and I was raised to take people on their word BUT for some reason I get a bad feeling from this man.... Any advice out there?

Defect:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE CIRCUIT BOARD FOR THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR MAY HAVE AN IMPROPER SOLDER JOINT DUE TO SOLDER DEFORMATION CAUSED BY HEAT STRESS ACCELERATED BY THE EXISTENCE OF FLUX RESIDUE DURING THE SOLDERING PROCESS.

Consequence:
THIS COULD CAUSE THE "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" WARNING LIGHT TO COME ON, CREATE A NO START CONDITION, CAUSE REDUCED ENGINE POWER, OR CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STOP RUNNING WITHOUT WARNING DURING VEHICLE OPERATION, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CRANK POSITION SENSORS. VEHICLES INVOLVED IN A PREVIOUS RECALL CAMPAIGN, 01V357, ARE ALSO INCLUDED IN THIS NEW CAMPAIGN. THE REPLACEMENT SENSORS USED IN THAT CAMPAIGN ARE ALSO AFFECTED. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING DECEMBER 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261 OR INFINITI AT 1-800-662-6200.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:28 AM
2015 Rogue

The computer does not technically show when the last oil change was done. It shows how many miles driven since the last time someone reset the oil change reminder.This part has nothing to do with the oil. It is an electronic sensor. Nissan has had several problems with these sensors. Iwould suggest going to another dealer or show him the receipt for the oil change.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:19 AM
ellehanzik

Default Thanks!

I don't know enough about any of this to argue my point - so Thanks for the information!!!!

Tags
2003, crank, murano, position, recall, sensor