Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
keyless starting problems Forums > > keyless starting problems keyless starting problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Murano Nissan Murano Discussion Forum

Old 03-26-2011, 06:06 AM
patch4

Unhappy keyless starting problems

Somtimes my 2010 Murano's keyless push button start does not work. I want to emphasize that I have my foot firmly on the brake at all times. The ignition clicks, but does not start. Sometimes I have had to push the button up to 15 times before it finally starts. The dealer has replaced the brake switch and the FOB and the problem still occurs. This happens very randomly. I was told by Nissan to video tape the problem when it occurs, but I don't see how that will help other than verifying the problem. I had a 2007 Murano with keyless ignition that was a turn switch instead of a push button and I never had a startng problem. Is there a solutioin for this problem?
Old 03-26-2011, 12:46 PM

2009 Murano SL

I haven't had that problem on my 2009. See if the other fob works and out of curiosity, the next time it occurs, place the fob into the charging slot and see if it will start.

Good luck.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:13 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch4 View Post
Somtimes my 2010 Murano's keyless push button start does not work. I want to emphasize that I have my foot firmly on the brake at all times. The ignition clicks, but does not start. Sometimes I have had to push the button up to 15 times before it finally starts. The dealer has replaced the brake switch and the FOB and the problem still occurs. This happens very randomly. I was told by Nissan to video tape the problem when it occurs, but I don't see how that will help other than verifying the problem. I had a 2007 Murano with keyless ignition that was a turn switch instead of a push button and I never had a startng problem. Is there a solutioin for this problem?
What do you have for floormats?
Also the port is not for charging the fob. It is there in case the battery in the fob dies.It will read the chip in the key and allow it to start.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:26 AM
patch4

My floor mats are standard Nissan mats. I did try the fob in the port when it would not start, but it did not help. I appreciate the reply.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:47 AM
2015 Rogue

When this problem happens does the ignition turn on and the vehicle does not start or does the button not do anything?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:03 PM
patch4

The button just clicks, but no ignition or starting. I will try again, it might start on the second or third try. One time it was at least 15 tries, and I was about to call a tow when it started. This happens very randomly, sometimes it might be six weeks before it happens again. I have had the vehicle about 11 months and I would guess it has happened about 15 times. Weird. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:46 PM

2009 Murano SL

Well, this may be a long shot, but indulge me. My battery died on me at around 35K miles. I drive 8 miles to work every day. I have read in other forums that a battery will wear quicker if you only drive short distances. When my battery first died, I would only hear a click when I depressed the start button. I charged it over night and it started just fine the next morning and I went on to work. During lunch I got in and it started just fine again, but I went straight to the battery store and got a new one. No starting problems since. It doesn't sound like your 2010 should have a dead or dieing battery but that might be something you could look into replacing.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:24 AM
patch4

thanks I will have the battery checked
Old 07-31-2012, 08:58 AM
2009 Murano

Exclamation 2009 Nissan Murano start problems

We have been having starting problems with our Nissan Murano for almost 2 years! It is most frustrating! The dealership has had our car 3 or 4 times and can not get the car to duplicate our problem so they will not replace any part to try to fix it. We have replaced the batteries in our key fobs twice and the dealership replaced the car battery during the last visit.
Our problem is very sporadic also. Sometimes the car will not unlock by the push button on the door handle even though the key fob is in my purse on my shoulder. Sometimes it will unlock with the key fob and then won't start saying "NO Key". I find myself talking to the car saying "how did I unlock you if I don't have the key!". Sometimes the dash indicator says "Brake" and then when I step on the brake it is very hard and the car will not start. This weekend my husband and I both had our key fobs with us and the car says "NO Key". Sometimes if I take my key fob out and lock and unlock the car a few times...the car will respond and start...sometimes I open and shut the car door and then it starts...it is almost a different scenario each time.
For some reason, the car dealership will not replace our key fobs...we are ready to trade this in for a Toyota!
Old 10-12-2012, 01:12 PM
2009 Murano

Default Same keyfob issue!

I have been having the same issue- sometimes the keyless entry and start works and sometimes I need to push the button and insert the fob to get it to start. I just had the batteries changed a month ago and I have the issue with both fobs that we have.

I have heard that "radio" interference (cell phones, towers, etc) can impact the ability for the fob to be recognized, but there are times it works in my garage and times it doesn't. Sometimes it will unlock and then not start. Othertimes I need to push the button to unlock and then can start without inserting the fob. Sometimes I need to push the button numerous times to get it to lock or unlock the doors!

Any suggestions? I am also at 37,000 miles so beyond the warranty period... Thanks!
Old 10-19-2012, 03:50 PM
2009 Murano

Default fixed our keyfob issue!

Carluca,
We finally have our problem fixed! I made many movies on my camera phone of the different problems and Nissan finally found our issue. Our main keyfob was defective. When both of us had our keyfobs with us in the car, the main one overroad the good one and would not work. They removed the batteries of the bad one and the other one was fine. We had to pay for the programming of a new keyfob but it is working great.

We had replaced the batteries in both keyfobs twice within a year AND Nissan had us replace the battery of our car on one of the visits. I sure hope this helps.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

There is a technical service bulletin for the electronic steering control lock on many nissan push starts. They get stuck in the steering wheel and the circut does not close. I have figured out a way to release the lock mechanism if you cant start the car. I have had one come from the dealer and they couldnt figure it out. It took me a while to figure it out but what I did was unlock and hold the steering wheel tilt lock and shook the shit out of the steering wheel up and down this releases the stuck lock in the steering wheel. Its awkward to do with one hand and the other holding tilt lock down. But it started the car and It hasnt happened again. Its not fixed but the lock cost 500 from dealer and 2 hours labor so around 800 to 1000 to fix. The new lock is improved, but they should cover it. But if youre out of warranty youre short. Anyways hope this helped.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 AM
2012 Murano

we have the same problem with our brand new 2012 Murano....dealer can not figure it out and of course it will not do it when they have it....did you ever figure out a cure?
Old 05-16-2019, 05:06 AM
2012 Murano
2012 Murano

Exclamation

Does anyone have an update or resolution to the push-to-start problem?

I have a 2012 Murano with this intermittent problem. Foot firmly on the brake, press the push-to-start button, all ACCs turn on, and "ON" will illuminate as if it is going to crank the engine. A click will occur and the engine does not crank/turnover. The problem has increased in frequency over the past 6 months (from about once per month → every other or third day). Some days it will start on first try for many days in a row, but when there is an issue it will take me 4-15 tries of cycling on and off.

After reading about some issues with the brake switch in other Nissan models, I've replaced this since it was cheap and a simple job (even though I never had issues with my brake lights turning on). This did not resolve the issue for me. I've also replaced the batteries in both FOBs

I've never been stranded as many attempts in a row over the course of 2-10 minutes will eventually get it started. It's happening often enough now that I will follow a routine to try to identify if any particular action allows it to finally start. Here is a list of things I've tried in my routines to get it started, but I haven't been able to identify a single item that eventually cranks the engine:
  • pumping/stomping on brake
  • pressing the brake pedal and reaching down and cycling the brake switch with my finger
  • applying and releasing the parking brake
  • shifting transmission into all other gears and cycling around, returning to park
  • turning steering wheel back and forth -- I have never had an issue where it is locked or stuck
  • exiting, locking, and re-entering the vehicle
  • switching FOBs
  • inserting FOB into slot
  • putting the vehicle in neutral and allowing it to roll forward/backward a few feet

I've also replaced my battery around the time this first started to be a problem. This may have helped for a short period, but the problem still persists. I took a voltmeter measurement to my battery and it reads:
  • 14.75 V when idling
  • 13.25 V when idling with headlights and fan blasting
  • 13.25 V when running engine ~1,500 to 2,000 rpm
  • 13.25 V when running engine >2,000 rpm

I also saw the technical bulletin NTB12-041 that I believe matches my symptoms, but my VIN falls outside of the range listed for the 2012 Murano 2WD. Does that matter?
NTB12-041
Quote:
When trying to start the engine,
* The instrument panel lights up, and
* The engine does not crank, (no crank, no start), and
* The ignition push button is not responsive (no action occurs when the button is pressed additional times).
Should I pull fuses? Take it in to have the BCM reprogrammed?
Old 06-06-2019, 03:48 AM
2012 Murano
2012 Murano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Does anyone have an update or resolution to the push-to-start problem?

I have a 2012 Murano with this intermittent problem. Foot firmly on the brake, press the push-to-start button, all ACCs turn on, and "ON" will illuminate as if it is going to crank the engine. A click will occur and the engine does not crank/turnover. The problem has increased in frequency over the past 6 months (from about once per month → every other or third day). Some days it will start on first try for many days in a row, but when there is an issue it will take me 4-15 tries of cycling on and off.

After reading about some issues with the brake switch in other Nissan models, I've replaced this since it was cheap and a simple job (even though I never had issues with my brake lights turning on). This did not resolve the issue for me. I've also replaced the batteries in both FOBs

I've never been stranded as many attempts in a row over the course of 2-10 minutes will eventually get it started. It's happening often enough now that I will follow a routine to try to identify if any particular action allows it to finally start. Here is a list of things I've tried in my routines to get it started, but I haven't been able to identify a single item that eventually cranks the engine:
  • pumping/stomping on brake
  • pressing the brake pedal and reaching down and cycling the brake switch with my finger
  • applying and releasing the parking brake
  • shifting transmission into all other gears and cycling around, returning to park
  • turning steering wheel back and forth -- I have never had an issue where it is locked or stuck
  • exiting, locking, and re-entering the vehicle
  • switching FOBs
  • inserting FOB into slot
  • putting the vehicle in neutral and allowing it to roll forward/backward a few feet

I've also replaced my battery around the time this first started to be a problem. This may have helped for a short period, but the problem still persists. I took a voltmeter measurement to my battery and it reads:
  • 14.75 V when idling
  • 13.25 V when idling with headlights and fan blasting
  • 13.25 V when running engine ~1,500 to 2,000 rpm
  • 13.25 V when running engine >2,000 rpm

I also saw the technical bulletin NTB12-041 that I believe matches my symptoms, but my VIN falls outside of the range listed for the 2012 Murano 2WD. Does that matter?
NTB12-041

Should I pull fuses? Take it in to have the BCM reprogrammed?
Follow up as my issue has been resolved. I decided to replace the starter motor as the issue continued to worsen and now it starts up strong every time.

Tags
keyless, problems, starting