Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Cyclic surging during acceleration? Forums > > Cyclic surging during acceleration? Cyclic surging during acceleration?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Murano Nissan Murano Discussion Forum

Old 01-22-2007, 11:48 AM
turbodog

Default Cyclic surging during acceleration?

Hi, My wifes '03 Murano started surging or lunging (repeatedly, like an oscillation) fairly violently during acceleration from a stop yesterday. I was driving it on a series of local errands. When it warmed up completely, the problem went away. The problem is back this morning. Weather is cool (40F) but has been much colder recently and this problem was not evident.

I did a web search, found a few folks have complained of this on nissanmurano.org, but no follow up to say what was wrong or if it was fixed. The discussion on Edmunds.com says the TPS on this car has a high failure rate, but that discussion seems to be about surging at highway speed, not during accel.

Anyway, was hoping to gather as much info as possible before taking it in to the shop. Anyone have experience with this particular problem? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2007, 03:53 PM
2015 Rogue

The tps is part of the electronic throttle body on this vehicle. We do see alot of these go bad however they usually cause the check engine light to come on.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:10 AM
wcfields

Default Cyclic surging during acceleration?

Now the check engine light would come on if the ECM logic could not control the situation and things got too far out of hand for the ECM to handle.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:22 AM
turbodog

Default ..... Solved

Hose clamp on the tube between the MAF and the throttle body was left loose when the MAF was replaced a while back. Surprised it took this long to start misbehaving.... but, it's running perfectly now. Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:44 AM
Signalmaster509

I have an '03 Murano, and am experiencing the surging/hesitation issues described above as well. I have, for about the past week or so, done numerous hours of research, drive testing, and code scanning. I have had inclinations of several things being the probable cause of this sometimes violent surging. I've gone from checking the MAF, TPS, and PPS, on the Murano, and still, no dice. Finally, on a couple of drive tests, I've noticed a sufur/ "rotten egg" smell, which I know is a telltale sign of a failing catalytic converter. I have also found others on the net who have experienced the same surging/hesitation issues with other makes of vehicles as well, and it had ended up being a plugged catalytic converter. What I am surprised at here, is that in my case, the MIL still hasn't come on, and I am somewhat "flying blind" with the issue. The Murano only has 63K miles on it and if, when I take it to my mechanic, he tells me that it is indeed the catalytic converter(s), I know that they are covered under federal warranty for a period of 8 years or 80,000 miles. At this point, my local Nissan dealer will be receiving a visit. Just a thought of what could possibly be going on.........I absolutely refuse to accept that Nissan will "shotgun" the issue by trying to get people to replace a $2300 valve assembly in the CVT..........you have got to be kidding me. I'm not saying that this part can't go bad, but I sure as hell will do my homework before giving the dealer the green light to do major work.

Tags
acceleration, cyclic, surging