Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Success! iPhone 3GS stereo sync + charging! Forums > > Success! iPhone 3GS stereo sync + charging! Success! iPhone 3GS stereo sync + charging!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Murano Nissan Murano Discussion Forum

Old 07-14-2010, 05:58 AM
IndyDave

Smile Success! iPhone 3GS stereo sync + charging!

I have wanted to integrate my iPhone into the Bose system on my ’07 Murano for quite a while, but just couldn’t pull the trigger on interface units that would not charge the phone!

Enter, “Grom Audio”. Found it a few weeks ago and it appeared to be the first one to do what I wanted. The web site touted a money back guarantee a generally seemed like a well run organization – judging from the amount of technical info available.

So, I ordered one, installed it, and drove to work today while streaming internet radio (radioparadise.com iPhone app) and listening to music and an audiobook via the iPod function in my iPhone 3GS.

Sweeeeet!

It isn’t without its quirks, but for a gadget freak like me, it’s a lot of fun. The artist and track info displays pretty well on the dashboard screen. It gets urfed up every now and then, but it is quite useable. Definitely better than burning CD’s all the time, just to get my extensive iTunes library into the car.

And don’t get me started about Internet radio! Me luvs me my Internet radio!!! I could keep a 64kbps Internet radio connection going during my commute on the north side of Indianapolis. The 128kbps feed never connected, but 64k is a great start! The artist and track info don’t propagate to the dashboard screen, but as I said, it’s a great start (the artist/track info from the last track played on the iPod stays on the screen).

I tested the "auxiliary" input (mini-stereo jack) by connecting it to my iPhone's earphone port and it worked fine. I have yet to test the USB input. From what I understand, if you connect a thumb-drive to the USB input and all the MP3’s are properly set up into folders (before you start), you can play a ton of music that way.

On the Bose system, preset “A” accesses the USB input, preset “B” accesses the iPhone/iPod input and preset “C” accesses the auxiliary (mini-stereo plug) input. You have to cycle between "Radio" and the A, B or C preset buttons to switch between the Grom inputs. The easiest thing to do is assign a channel (the 1 through 6 buttons) on each of the three presets. The three inputs on the Grom unit replicate XM radio stations (as far as the Bose system knows, it's an XM radio feed).

My Bose unit is the AM/FM/6-CD/cassette + satellite radio capable unit, but did not come with XM. If your Bose system has the “CAT / Folder” button on it, the Grom unit should work. The web site has all the info you will need.

This is not a paid endorsement; I’m just excited to share the good news about my new toy! That, and I wanted express my thanks to those who posted info on how to get the dashboard apart and the stereo out (actually, I only needed to tilt it forward to get to the back of it).

I plan on shooting some video, showing the unit and its operation. Stay tuned!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Thanks for letting us know. Good information
Old 09-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Interpolator

Hi IndyDave, I am wondering if you tried the USB input on GROM Audio interface? I am thinking about ordering GROM Audio unit. I mostly want to use it for USB, but I have iPhone too - so sometimes I will probably be using it with the iPhone too, specially for charge. I found this video, looks kind of cool: YouTube - GROM USB: Nissan Versa 08 Usage Instructions
This video is in CD changer emulation. I am going to get the XM emulation for the text support. Have plans to order within one week or so. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Tags
3gs, charging, iphone, stereo, success, sync