Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 Nissan Maxima P1320 Code Forums > > 2000 Nissan Maxima P1320 Code 2000 Nissan Maxima P1320 Code
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 09-13-2015, 01:26 PM
2000 Maxima

I have a Maxima 2000 with ignition coils problems.
I did replace all the coils at about 80,000 miles with the Nissan genuine coils with a dot. I thought this will fix the problem forever. I was wrong after another 80,000 miles the coils failed again. I made the mistake to buy the cheap ones from Amazon, about $90 a set, I figured they must have figured out how to make them well. These cheap ones are made in China. It was a huge mistake, not only did clear the code P1320 but, when I tried to get them out they fell into pieces, the rubber tip got stucked into a back cylinder and it took 2 days and 3 people to get it out. Turns out those cheap coils are not glued together and also the rubber tip is a bit larger and gets stuck. These coils came with lifetime warranty, I guess is should say are lifetime stuck into the engine. After the first cylinder problem I figured to try to glue the parts that fell apart and put it back together, this worked much better to remove those cheap coils. I did replace them with DENSO coils and so far the code did not come back, I think and I hope this fixed the problem. REMEMBER DO NOT USE CHEAP COILS, YOU WILL PAY FOR IT.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:45 PM
2000 Maxima

I just wanted to follow up as this same problem happened to my 2000 Maxima SE 5spd. P1320 with no other codes. It continued to run fine for a couple weeks, but then on the way to work one day it started surging on the freeway so time to deal with it.

I started by replacing the inexpensive ignition condenser. $18 at local dealer, about half that online. This didn’t help, so I got out the multimeter and took voltages off each coil. I probed at each coil connector by connecting the multimeter ground to the valve cover and pushing the red probe into the signal wire hole. All coils in the car are grey dot replacements from long ago. Five checked out ok, around .15 at idle, one was off: 0.22 at idle and 0.40 at 2500, putting it just barely out of spec. I went to the local auto parts store and bought a Hitachi coil which is made in Japan for $75, dropped it in, measured the voltage, and it was good at 0.13 volts. Cleared the SES light and it didn’t come back. Thanks for the good instruction that helped debug the problem coil with little time and effort! I feel bad for the people who get suckered into “replace all 6 + labor” at the dealer, I believe this was the quickest and easiest repair I’ve ever made on my Maxima.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:45 PM
2011 370Z Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-nile_8 View Post
I have looked around on this forum and i have come to understand that even if u test the coils on this 2000 maxima that they all could check out ok according to the testing procedure..My maxima has the check engine light on along with the Slip and TC light...at idle it sounds like it is missing and the computer only scanned a code at the emissions place with P1320.. Primary ignition Fault... ok Well my real question is what should i check and will replaceing the coils be needed because that will be rather expensive...or is there a better test to use to see if the are functioning correctly.. any suggestions or ideas..please help
Hey! If you end up deciding or needing to get those parts check out our site for them. We do offer free shipping and we have coupon code that you can use for 10% off if your order is at least $25.

https://www.beelineparts.com/

Tags
2000, code, maxima, nissan, p1320