Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1997 Maxima electrical problems Forums > > 1997 Maxima electrical problems 1997 Maxima electrical problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 06-24-2012, 07:03 AM
1997 Maxima

Default 1997 Maxima electrical problems

I am the second owner of a 4th gen GLE with no modifications. My Dad was the original owner. The car has 78001 original miles. After many years with no major problems the CEL cam on and it was throwing codes for the knock sensor and speed sensor. I replaced both, but after resetting the ECU, both codes re-appeared.

While troubleshooting the persistent CEL problem, the alternator burned up. Smoked. I could smell the burnt part. So, I replaced the alternator and purchased a new battery. Within 15 minutes of driving the car on a hot day under load with the stereo on and the AC set to Auto, the brand new alternator smoked. By that I mean, smoke was coming fron under the hood. I thought it was from the brand new brake pads and rotors I had also replaced so I didn't think it was the alternator, but it was.

After driving the car for almost fifty miles. the SRS light, and the Brake light came on, the dash led's began to dim and I heard a chattering relay on the passenger side of the car. I had experienced these symptoms the first time the alternator buned up and then because battery had been practically drained. I managed to get home and when I tested the electrical system, I discovered that the alternator had burned up again. I didn't even put enough miles on the car to see if the engine codes were cleared.

What could possibly be causing a brand new alternator to go up in smoke like this? I've seen some posts regarding the brand of alternator or getting a Nissan part vs a remanufactured alternator, but have never seen ANY confirmation from anyone that just getting the expensive Nissan part is what solved the problem.

I don't want to keep putting alternators in the car. It's not that bad of a DIY job, but it's getting expensive to keep replacing the alternator and putting the time in fixing the car. Any help regarding the engine code problem and alternator problem would be appreciated.

Tags
1997, electrical, maxima, problems