Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
cam shaft positioning sensor issue/tranny??? Forums > > cam shaft positioning sensor issue/tranny??? cam shaft positioning sensor issue/tranny???
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 02-22-2009, 01:06 PM
dr90254

Question replacing camshaft sensor

johnblaze,
would you post detailed instructions on how you replaced bank 2? I saw the diagram that NissanTech posted but still am unsure. maybe you can help.

I just got back from AutoZone (I went there bc the check engine light was on) and found that codes P0011 and P0021 were the problem. P0011 is the Bank 1 sensor (front), P0021 is the Bank 2 sensor (rear).

Also, the AutoZone tech printed off a troubleshooting list, but I need help deciphering this --
Intake Valve Timing control circuit failure.
Probable causes:
1. IVT control solenoid open or shorted
2. cam/crank sensors are out of phase
3. dirt buildup at control valve

Should I just replace both camshaft sensors, bank 1 and 2? Or if someone knows what this troubleshooting list, and how to do it....thanks.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 PM
acuraman73

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanparts1 View Post
Just so you know, the Fail Safe Mode is why you didn't have all the gears with your transmission!! I copied this exerpt from Nissan's Features and Specifications Guide:

Fail-safe mode of the Electronic Concentrated Control System (ECCS)

This mode enables the engine to function in a reduced capacity in case of failure by any one of four critical components (coolant temperature sensor, crankshaft angle sensor, throttle system, or airflow meter), helping the driver to reach a safe destination.

I hope this explains some things!!
-Jamie
Hello everyone I am having the same problem with a 2004 Nissan maxima, I have changed the camshaft sensor ,however I am still having the problem. Is there a way to reset the failsafe? Thanks
Old 01-10-2011, 11:22 PM
acuraman73

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnblaze401 View Post
2004 nissan maxima se 5speed auto.

heres the low down. yesterday morning the car started fine. put the car in reverse and car did not move. check engine light came on. played around with the car a little more. the car stalls. when shifting to reverse hard shift. when placing car in D hard shift. when you drive it, it starts off in 5th gear. when put into tiptronic mode the shifter reads has gear 5. now when driving i have only 2 gears in tiptronic mode. im assuming 5 and maybe 3 or 4. later on that day i turned the car on and everything went away, the hard crank, the stalling, and the weird shifting. the next day i turn the car on and all of the symptoms came back. i went to autozone and they read the ecm with a cam shaft position sensor in bank 2 as the issue. my only question is would the cam shaft positioning sensor cause the car to shift crazy and only have reverse and 2 gears? and all the things i have mentioned? and is there a way to reset the ecu to see if it really is a sensor or just a hiccup. im all ears for sugestions before i bring it to the dealership and fork out hundreds of dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanparts1 View Post
Just so you know, the Fail Safe Mode is why you didn't have all the gears with your transmission!! I copied this exerpt from Nissan's Features and Specifications Guide:

Fail-safe mode of the Electronic Concentrated Control System (ECCS)

This mode enables the engine to function in a reduced capacity in case of failure by any one of four critical components (coolant temperature sensor, crankshaft angle sensor, throttle system, or airflow meter), helping the driver to reach a safe destination.

I hope this explains some things!!
-Jamie
I am having the same problem on a 2004 Nissan maximal I have change the sensor ,however Iam still having the same problem. Is there a way to rest tha failsafe mode? Thanks.

Last edited by acuraman73; 01-10-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:35 PM
2004 Maxima

Default Bolt size on camshaft sensor

What is the size of the bolt on the sensor? I'm having a heck of a time getting it off.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:10 PM
2004 Maxima

I had the exact same problem with my 2004 Maxima SE. Took it to the Nissan Dealer and they said they had position sensor failure on the transmission. These sensors are inserted into the transmission casing and can get coroded and give false signals so the car either won't start (most common) or does what yours did. They replaced the sensors for about $500 and now everything works fine. Wish somebody told me as I read all those posts about getting a new transmission for $5000. Good Luck - James
Old 03-02-2012, 07:10 PM
2002 Sentra

Should be 10mm
Old 07-10-2012, 03:47 PM
2002 Maxima

Default Camshaft positioning sensor vs tranny problems

I have read all of the previous posts in this thread & they seem to b the same think that is happening to my 2002 Maxima. I have already changed Bank 1 & am going to do Bank 2, but I wasn't in a rush because it seemed to b running good. Yesterday when I got onto the highway, all of a sudden it started to slow down & wouldn't shift into gear, it was also making a cranking sound along with overheating. The RPMs were running very high as well. I pulled over & waited for about 30 minutes & filled the radiator with antifreeze & water. When I started driving again, it was fine but then it started overheating within 3 miles. Most of the water was gone from the radiator but it didn't leak out, so I am confused as where it could have gone. The idle seems to b all out of whack as well. I noticed someone said something about sensors that plug into the tranny.... is this something that can b done urself or do u have to go to the dealer/mechanic? I have just fixed so many things trying to clear up codes that I really don't have the money to go to the dealer. If anyone knows anything that could b wrong, please respond! Thank you in advance
Old 11-10-2015, 03:15 PM
2006 Altima SE-R
1999 Sentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr90254 View Post
johnblaze,
would you post detailed instructions on how you replaced bank 2? I saw the diagram that NissanTech posted but still am unsure. maybe you can help.

I just got back from AutoZone (I went there bc the check engine light was on) and found that codes P0011 and P0021 were the problem. P0011 is the Bank 1 sensor (front), P0021 is the Bank 2 sensor (rear).

Also, the AutoZone tech printed off a troubleshooting list, but I need help deciphering this --
Intake Valve Timing control circuit failure.
Probable causes:
1. IVT control solenoid open or shorted
2. cam/crank sensors are out of phase
3. dirt buildup at control valve

Should I just replace both camshaft sensors, bank 1 and 2? Or if someone knows what this troubleshooting list, and how to do it....thanks.
what did you do with this problem experiencing it now?
Old 10-19-2016, 08:26 AM
2004 Maxima

For everyone who said replace the cam shaft sensor, even though I thought you were crazy and couldn't figure out why the camshaft sensor would cause the transmission to act retarded, a big thank you. It fixed the problem and the car is running fabulously. It's perfect. I couldn't afford a transmission and you helped me tremendously.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:45 AM
1990 Sentra SE-R
1986 Almera

Default cam shaft positioning sensor issue/tranny

Not sure if anyone can help me but here goes.

I want to replace my cam shaft bearings and am having trouble removing the "back" one. The one right inside the head. Any suggestions?
Old 09-10-2017, 09:02 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpycle View Post
Not sure if anyone can help me but here goes.

I want to replace my cam shaft bearings and am having trouble removing the "back" one. The one right inside the head. Any suggestions?
What year/model/engine vehicle are you working on?

Tags
cam, issue or tranny, positioning, sensor, shaft