Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
code p0340 Forums > > code p0340 code p0340
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 10-16-2008, 08:43 AM
EddieM

Unhappy code p0340

just got back from service department @ dealer. was told got a code p0340 cam sensor. was told it has oil on it and it needs 2 b replaced. check engine light came on friday afternoon @ 3 pm but car drove fine in the morning. now when starting the car have 2 try 2-3x b4 it turns over, car shuts off after about 10 mins, and trans reads 5th gear when shifted into manual. now when driving, have 2 "shift" down (no gear change and car jerks a little) and then "shift" up (no gear change and car jerks a little) to get car to speed. have read alot of posts with similar probs but no one has posted results /solutions.

Dealer called back. spoke about a "good will claim" What is it?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Dealer called back. spoke about a "good will claim" What is it?
Since is a very common problem, your dealer is calling Nissan to have them pay for part or all the repair. Unfortunately the only solution is replacing the sensors.

There is a bulletin for that problem: Knowledgebase - 2004 Maxima - Nissanhelp.com

More information about the code here: Nissan OBD-II Trouble Code P0340
Old 10-17-2008, 06:09 AM
EddieM

Thnx. they just called this morning after replacing the sensor and are now telling me that the motor mounts need to be replaced. How serious is this? How difficult of a job would it have been if not done at dealer to replace senor? motor mounts? Just trying to save a few $ where ever I can.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:29 AM
EddieM

went to everythingnissan.com to get prices. didn't know there were different mounts (front, rear, side, and trans) i'm assuming the dealer is referring to the trans mount that needs to be replaced. says it'll cost about 1g, but the part is listed @ $80. is this a "good " price or just standard pricing? i asked him to look into the "good will" claim since I only had vehicle for 14 months and have driven it primarily on highway.

you guys over here r EXTREMELY helpful. gonna subscribe!!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Why they want to replaced the mounts? If the mount are cracked, then I do recommend to replace them. Get more information, why? Which one?
Old 10-20-2008, 07:10 AM
EddieM

What is the purpose for a service bulletin? What does it accomplish for the customer? Is this an admittance from the manufacturer that something is defective? Got off phone with NissanUsa and it seems they are not interested in helping. I mentioned the service bulletin and they basically brushed it off. I mentioned the trans mounts needing to be replaced and they asked how many miles I have on the car.(63k) They then told me that there were no recalls in regard to this problem and that they cannot help with repair. I can't believe that they do not have issues like this reported. There are a few websites like yours that mention various issues with this make and model.

Should have found you guys first then I probably wouldn't be in this mess with repairs on a car just over 4 yrs old.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

The motor mounts are a big deal and if the are the elect. type they can take out your ECM. Be carefull.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:26 PM
rwilson

Hello All, I am new here. I just bought a 1997 maxima with 90,000 miles on it. It has the 3.0 24 VALVE Engine. Now the car won't start and so I plug in my scanner. I get p0340 code CAMSHAFT SENSOR A BANK 1. Where is this sensor located? Is there more than one sensor?

The starter turns, but the engine does not catch on. Will the cam sensor not allow the car to start? It has symptoms of a bad fuel pump and was going to replace it till I plugged in my scanner and got this code.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:40 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

I have a 97 Maxima 5sp. Yes, cam sensor can prevent car from starting. There is only one, reads the camshaft on the front bank. It's easy to replace. Check out the EC service manual section in the knowledge base - starting on pg 205 in the one I downloaded. Pls report back with results.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:37 AM
rwilson

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflood View Post
I have a 97 Maxima 5sp. Yes, cam sensor can prevent car from starting. There is only one, reads the camshaft on the front bank. It's easy to replace. Check out the EC service manual section in the knowledge base - starting on pg 205 in the one I downloaded. Pls report back with results.

IT WORKED BOB!!!! THANK YOU!!!! The cam sensor was replaced and the car started up and died in 2-3 seconda. The second try I pressed the gas pedal so the car stayed on and drives good now. THANKS AGAIN!

The cam sensor was completely coated in oil. Does that indicate another issue?
Old 06-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Tech Enthusiast
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

Do you mean that the outside (where the electrical connection is) was coated in oil? If so, it could have been leaking thru the sensor, or more likely around the o-ring seal around the sensor. Assuming that you replaced the o-ring around the new sensor, the oil leak should be gone also.
Glad it worked. I had a similar problem (though car would start eventually) due to a bad crank position sensor that did not throw a code, so I had no clue. Took my mechanic with a scope to find it.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:03 PM
rwilson

Quote:
Do you mean that the outside (where the electrical connection is) was coated in oil? If so, it could have been leaking thru the sensor, or more likely around the o-ring seal around the sensor. Assuming that you replaced the o-ring around the new sensor, the oil leak should be gone also.
Glad it worked. I had a similar problem (though car would start eventually) due to a bad crank position sensor that did not throw a code, so I had no clue. Took my mechanic with a scope to find it.
The oil was on the inside part that goes in. Is that bad ?
Old 06-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Enthusiast
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

As long as it is "inside" the o-ring, that is fine. The end of the sensor sticks in near the camshaft sprocket and there is a lot of oil splashing around in there to lube all the moving parts associated with the camshaft, timing chain, valve train, etc. The o-ring is what keeps the oil inside the engine.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:43 PM
rwilson

Quote:
As long as it is "inside" the o-ring, that is fine. The end of the sensor sticks in near the camshaft sprocket and there is a lot of oil splashing around in there to lube all the moving parts associated with the camshaft, timing chain, valve train, etc. The o-ring is what keeps the oil inside the engine.

Good. Thanks Bob.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:55 PM
apayne474

having the same problem as eddie m, since there is a service bulletin out for this issue, that means that the repair is free and nissan will replace the sensors?

Im starting to hate this maxima, second problem i have had in 2 months, first the ECM burns out and now this.

Tags
code, p0340