Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
05 Maxima Transmission / Shifting Problems Forums > > 05 Maxima Transmission / Shifting Problems 05 Maxima Transmission / Shifting Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 10-12-2008, 08:55 PM
2005 Maxima

Question 05 Maxima Transmission / Shifting Problems

My 2005 Nissan Maxima (Build date of 08/04) has 69000 miles and has started showing signs of what may be serious transmission problems. I welcome any feedback as to the best course of action to correct these intermitent and random symptoms that include:
1. Takes about 5 seconds to click into gear after the shift lever is put in "D"
2. Very hard jerky shifts between 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st and accompanied by loud clunking noise.
3. Transmission slips out of gear during regular driving allowign the engine to rev freely then jerking back into gear with a loud clunk. The is followed by a burnt oil / electrical type smell that gets inside the car and evident outside after stopping.

Sometimess I go for days with no symptoms at all and other times it may happen a dozen times in a day. I took it in to the dealer and none of the problems showed up for them but they noted that the engine mounts were broken but that would not cause these symptoms. They suggested a new transmission and motor mounts for $4,000. I drive mainly on the freeways in Southern California and have maintained and babied this car since it was new.

This is my first Nissan and I have loved this card until these symptoms. Please suggest what course of action should be taken to correct this and restore my faith in Nissan. I have been eyeing the new 2009 Maxima's but now I am not sure of this car's long term reliability.

I can be contacted at [email protected]

Thanks
Rob
Old 10-13-2008, 05:19 PM
2005 Maxima

If you have had similar issues with your Maxima, please post your experience on getting it resolved.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:34 PM
2015 Rogue

The 2009 maxima uses the cvt transmission. The cvts they have been using in the cars have been very reliable. I have not seen one yet with a problem.
As far as your current car you may want to consider buying a used transmission or you could try calling 1800nissan1 to see if they will help towards the repair.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:52 PM
2005 Maxima

I ended up having the transmission and engine mounts replaced by the local Nissan dealership and now it runs and shifts like new. Based on all the online reports of Maxima customers, I really suspect there is an undocumented flaw with this transmission and it showed up in the late 04 and early 05 build cars.

Here is what I did;
I went into the dealership when I first took my car in then went to the front lot and spent some time looking and showing much interest at the 2009 Maxima and working with one of the more senior sales people. I told him I loved the car but being the first year for the new design may wait till the 2010 model but quite frankly was a bit hesistant because my 2005 has serious transmission problems after only 75,000 miles and had it in the service area getting looked at. I suggest he talk to the service manager and come back and tell me its really not that bad and may only need a slight adjustment. I gave him my number and left.

No trouble codes show up when they put the car on the scope. The first few times I took the car in it would not act up for the mechanic so they suggested a trans oil change for a few hundred dollars. I am not a mechanic but I know enough about cars that that dirty oil was not the root cause, plus it was the standard line that dealers have told people when they brought this problem up. The oil was still cherry red and my quick lube mechanic always checked it and said it was fine. Consequently, I did not have it done. The car would be good for a week or so then start acting up again, clunking and sometimes bucking like a stubborn horse while driving even freewheeling while driving making the RPMs shoot up, and hard shifting right around the 25-30 MPH shift. I took the car in again and took the dealer service manager out myself and I finally got it to act up while I was driving and he was in the car and he admitted that that was not normal. He recommended a new transmission for only $3000-$3500...ouch!

I told him this was the first foreign car I had bought after driving American all my life and I loved the car but was really disappointed at this happening at 75,000 miles, just after it got out of warranty. I also mentioned that I loved the new 2009 Nissan Maxima and was considering it to be my next car but based on this experience I would probably go to Toyota and never buy Nissan again. I also told him that there must be a flaw with a batch of these transmissions right around the late 04 early 05 builds based on all the online reports. I had printed out about twenty of them and went over them with him trying to demonstrate that the problem was not isolated but rather widespread. I told him I would expect this from a Ford but not a Nissan. Furthermore I told him that I would expect a Ford dealer to take no resposniblity at all and tell me that I would be on my own. I had a few things going against me. 1. I did not buy the car from them, but from another dealer in another city. 2. The car was never serviced at a Nissan dealer. 3. I had never serviced the transmission. 4. I was 15,000 miles out of warranty.

I asked him to work with me and at least ask Nissan corporate if they would cover a goodwill repair. I told him if he can't get this done I would more then likely take the car and trade it in for a Toyota or Honda...anything but a Nissan but I will not put $3500 into this car. He called me back a few days later and told me that Nissan corporate agreed to replacing the transmission and they would take care of it at no cost to me. The car needed a few hundred dollars of other maintenance related items and he asked and I agreed to have that done on my bill. He also asked me to rate him excellent on the Nissan survey that I would get in the mail and to keep bringing the car to him for all future maintance and repairs including oil changes, etc....which I have been doing.

Overall, I had to do some fanagaling but I am very pleased with the way they did treat me...much better then American car dealers have treated me in the past. I am convinced there is a problem with these transmissions and they know it but they did the right thing and I am once again a happy Nissan customer and would buy Nissan again from this dealer.

My advise to you and anyone with this problem is that you insist on a new transmission whether in or out of warranty. I would print out every report you find online about other Maxima owners who have had this problem and ask them to work with you to keep you a happy and loyal Nissan customer. Remember the dealer service manager has the authority to approve this and they get paid anyways. Make sure you remind him that his best interest is to keep you a happy Nissan customer that will buy from him again and tell others that they are a great dealership. They will work with you as long as you stay positive and ask them to work alongside with you..remember they are not the bad guys here...they just want to sell cars and keep customers like you and I happy, keep them coming back and tell everyone you know how great they are. This means a lot to a dealer service manager and the dealer manager. Make sure you work with both of them at the same time and things should work out.

Good luck to my fellow Maxima owners.

Last edited by rmarton; 01-09-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:09 PM
deeriles95

Default Nissan Maxima 04 Transmission Problems

I had an 04 Maxima that i recently traded in for a Toyota Camry because the Max had transmission problems. I would have this hard jerking that would start in 1st gear going into 2nd. It felt like a mule kick. This happened around 65,000 miles and i would take it to the dealer but for whatever reason they couldnt find anything wrong, but convinced me i needed new motor mounts. The good thing for me is that i had the extended warranty so they had to fix it anyway. The car would drive ok for a few days and then it was back to the mule kicking so i went back to the dealership and it was more of the same. Now they told me i needed to have my transmission flushed but when i asked him would that stop the problem he couldnt answer me. After my 6th visit to the Nissan dealer for an obvious transmission problem and a few phone calls to the corporate office they finally agreed to fixing the problem. My extended warranty covered the transmission. Nissan put in a "rebuilt" transmission so automatically i knew i would be having the same problem down the line. The car began jerking again after 6 months of trouble free driving and i immediatly took it to the nearest Toyota dealership because by now i was out of warranty with the Maxima. I loved the car but that was my last nissan. I have fallen in love with my Toyota.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Erica Birts

Default Transmission Problems

My 2005 Nissan Maxima is also showing signs of transmission problems. I ahve been experienceing jurky shifts when change gears. I took my car to the dealer and they informed me that the cost would be $ 3,000.00 to replace the transmission. My car is no longer under warranty. What course of action did you take in getting your car fixed? Please email me to let me know what I can do to get this resolved at [email protected].

Thank you,
Erica
Old 08-04-2009, 10:10 AM
oolatec

Yeah the A/Ts have a habit of going bad. I'm coming up on 50k on my '04 (bought early '03), and so far, I've been ok.

But this, along with the timing chain tensioner issue, as well as the o2 sensors going bad all the time (not using my car as an example, because of all the mods), etc. etc. etc.. When I am ready to get rid of my Max, goodbye Nissan.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:21 PM
mr.man3

Default 05 maxima transmission problems

I have a 05 maxima with 64000 miles on it. The car is fine other than the shifting problem I have. Sometimes, not all, shifting from 1st to 2nd gear it snatches really hard. I have the slightest Idea whats wrong with it. Any feedback anyone???
Old 10-14-2009, 09:21 AM
velvet9902

Unhappy trying to get a recall

The car has been a good car except for the transmissions is not wanting to go into 2nd and 3rd gear. Then when it does it jerks really hard which is now messing up the motor mounts. There are many people with this issue. I made a complaint with safetycar which is with the NHTSA.The more complaints they get they will investigate it and hopefully a recall will be issued. Here is the web site Office of Defects Investigation (ODI). Please make a complaint to this issue needs to be resolved. We spend to much money for it not to be. Here is another web site you can write to as well Consumer complaints about Nissan Maxima. The only way to fix this is to work together.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:30 AM
mr.man3

Thanks, i will be sure to make a complaint
Old 10-14-2009, 09:32 AM
lgreen

I had the same problem with my 04 maxima. I received the same response from the service dept as far as flushing the transmission, which cost about $200 and didn't work. I ended up taking my car to a transmission shop and having the transmission replaced with a NEW transmission and I've had no problems since then.

I've searched for recalls and none as of yet. I'm holding on to my receipt in hopes of being reimbursed if they ever decide to recall that model transmission.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:17 PM
stephdwhite

Default 05 Maxima Transmission Problems

I also have an 05 Maxima and my transmission started to act up around 65000. It's doing the same as everyone else's, jerking and shifting hard in 2nd and 3rd gear. I am really upset because I bought this car brand new so that I would not have this problem so soon. I love the car, but I can't stand the transmission. They really need to recall this car for the transmission because I know that they are aware of this problem. It's not fair to us, we thought that we were buying a nice car for the price but, over all it's not!

Last edited by stephdwhite; 11-02-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:23 PM
oolatec

I know at least, for my '04 SE, I have an RE5F22A tranny. There's this shop that offers upgraded valve bodies/torque converters/rebuild kits. Having a dealer put in a rebuilt transmission won't fix the problem, since it's a faulty design to begin with. It may be worth it for some of you to call Level 10 to see what they can do for you.

Level 10 Performance Transmission Systems Bulletproof Transmissions
Old 11-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Trouble321

Thumbs down Never again

I am having the same problems with my transmission. I pamper my car and up to this point have loved everything about my Maxima. When co-workers or customers ask about my car I tell them how great it is. I just can't do that anymore. I read alot of these posts and have talked to multiple dealerships and mechanics all of who are surprised that a tranny would be going out after 70,000 miles.

I called Nissan N.A. and they are not going to help me in any way.

The best way to get your voice heard is to never buy their product again, which I wont. Nor will I recommend any Nissan in the future.

I am quite sure they won't miss my money, but I won't be a sucker again.

I really loved the new Murano, have test driven them multiple times. I just can't see myself ever buying Nissan again.

Sorry folks...
Old 11-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Macsleuth

Wow, I'm glad I didn't see this issue with my 05 Maxima. I had a few mods, UDP, Hi-flow exhaust y-pipe to mufflers. Beat on it a little, but didn't abuse it. Was quite happy with the A/T. Come to think of it, I don' recall ever changing the fluid in it.
My 95 Maxima did require a A/T rebuild at 237K KM.
Drove my 05 to 163K KM, no major issues. One of the reasons I got another Nissan. (current 09 Murano).
Been driving Nissan since 97 and have been happy.
Hope you guys get it sorted out to your satisfaction.

Tags
jerking, maxima, problems, shifting, transmission