Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
05 Maxima Transmission / Shifting Problems Forums > > 05 Maxima Transmission / Shifting Problems 05 Maxima Transmission / Shifting Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 03-20-2013, 11:42 AM
2005 Altima
1993 Altima

Default SOLVED! How I fixed shifting problems.

Before I go into the solution, here is a short summary of issues. Note that all symptoms were either made worse, or only present when engine (tranny) was hot.

1. When slowing down around a turn, upon accelerating, there was a HARD knock. Almost felt as if I had gotten rear ended.
2. When slowing down to a stop, shifting from 3 to 2 was also very HARD
3. Sometime when slowing down, I would put tranny in neutral to avoid #2 above. When I would put tranny back into drive, there would TWO shifts. And they were HARD.
4. When coasting downhill, it would intermitently feel as if I was applying the brakes. Image driving a stickshift and while coasting, push and release the clutch while in a gear. That is exactly how it felt.

What I attempted:

1. Changed motor mounts.
2. Did a poor man's tranny flush. (Got 9 quarts out.)
3. Took it in to Nissan dealership. They said problem was internal and quoted me $3600.00. OUCH!

Nothing seemed to work. At this point, I was ready to swap out the tranny myself... but then...

Serendipitously, I ran into a video on youtube that showed how to fix the AW55-50 issues I was experiencing. It uses a $100 kit from GransGo (AW55-50 Shift Kit.)

I figured for only $100, what the hey. So I spent the majority of a weekend getting to the solenoid body and cleaning out the 3 main solenoids.

I have now driven the car close to 500 miles. Issues #1, #2 and #3 are completely gone. Issue #4 is still present. I spoke with a tech from TransGo and he stated that this was normal and was done by computer to reduce emissions. All I know is that it is barely noticeable and I can live with it.

The dealership is not getting my $3500.00 thank you very kindly.

I hope this helps someone else.

ezjam
Old 05-09-2013, 01:16 PM
2005 Maxima

Wink Friends don't let friends get jerked

I too was plagued with the same jerking and lunging others are experiencing. Of course the problem started only a few hundred miles after my extended warranty expired at 60,000 miles. The Nissan dealership (Miller Nissan) jerked me around and said the transmission was fried. They offered a $4000 rebuilt transmission with a one year warranty. Even after mentioning I had purchased four new Nissan cars over the past several years they still wouldn't budge.

Thanks to this board I concluded the TransGo (AW55-50 Shift Kit) valve body kit was my ticket to pain free driving. I was lucky enough to locate an honest and reputable owner operated transmission shop nearby (Elmers Transmission, Burbank, CA). The owner said bring it by so he can be sure the TransGo kit would resolve the issue. After shifting from park to drive and reverse and experiencing the jerk he assured me the kit would be the cure.

After 500 miles the transmission is still working perfectly.

Cost including TransGo kit $650

This is the last time Nissan will jerk me around
Old 05-09-2013, 04:14 PM
2005 Altima
1993 Altima

Rocketman,

I'm glad the TransGo kit did it for you. One questions, are you experiencing #4 from list above? Did you before the kit rebuilt?

ezjam
Old 06-04-2013, 01:18 PM
2005 Maxima
2000 Maxima

Hey Max2D, its been more a year since you got your VB changed. How is it doing now?
I have the same issues 1 to 2, 2 to 1...

Thank you.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 AM
2006 Maxima

I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima and the transmission has went out. It was jerking and slipping. Is there any kind of way I can get this problem taken care of? I have only owned this car for a year. Please contact me at my email [email protected] and my phone number is 5012466932. Please this is Urgent.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:28 PM
2005 Altima
1993 Altima

Hi Felecia,

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "transmission has [gone] out?" Does it not shift any more? Or do you have the same symptoms as me above? If the latter, the kit will resolve your issues.

ezjam
Old 10-21-2013, 08:03 PM
2005 Maxima
2005 Maxima

I have an 05 Maxima and.the transmission slips just like all the others mentioned. Has there been a recall on the 04 to 06 Maxima transmission?
Old 07-20-2015, 10:25 PM
2005 Maxima
2005 Maxima

Angry 05 Maxima transmission problem

I purchased a used 2005 Maxima knowing the transmission was bad. The shop that I took to has me concerned, because the technician told me that the 2004 model and the 2005 model used different types of transmissions and I don't believe that, is it true? He said the valve body needed to be replaced I live in Texas and I am really interested in Level 10 what should I do?
Old 07-21-2015, 02:24 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashaun29 View Post
I purchased a used 2005 Maxima knowing the transmission was bad. The shop that I took to has me concerned, because the technician told me that the 2004 model and the 2005 model used different types of transmissions and I don't believe that, is it true? He said the valve body needed to be replaced I live in Texas and I am really interested in Level 10 what should I do?
There was 2 different transmissions for the maxima, a 4 speed or a 5 speed. The 5 speed is usually the one we see problems with.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:28 PM
2005 Maxima
2013 Altima Sedan

Took my 2005 to Level 10 back at 105k miles, still going strong @198k. I would recommend it.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:05 PM
2004 Maxima

Default 2004 nissan accident due to faulty sensor

I have a nissan 2004 maxima I was driving on the 401 in Canada and I applied my breaks a little well the car jerked forward then back I immediately exit and found myself at a stop sign pulled away drove to next stop sign applied the breaks well the car jerked forward into traffic the drivers side door got crushed I was rushed to hospital and thank god no major injury I had a licence mechanic check it out it was a rear sensor on the hub that caused it so I'm debating on suing nissan my car sits in parking lot I am frighten to even sit in it now dan steele [email protected] london ontario
Old 08-27-2015, 11:34 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

You should definitely see a personal injury lawyer.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:33 PM
2005 Maxima

I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5L SL the car is nice but shifts erratically front 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st the rpm will go up and rev up high these transmissions should be recalled this will cost people a fortune to fix and 3,000 is ridiculous
Old 12-19-2020, 08:48 PM
2005 Maxima
2005 Maxima

I had almost exactly the same shit hapen to my 05 maxima...bang gears beteen 2-3 shift after slipping for a sec ...so i tried solonoids, and that it worse, and with a couple new symptoms afterwards...like not shifting into 5th and something else too but i cant exactly remember..so then i just bought a refurbished valve body and bolted it in, again with similar symptoms
Old 12-19-2020, 09:02 PM
2005 Maxima
2005 Maxima

I had almost exactly the same shit hapen to my 05 maxima...bang gears beteen 2-3 shift after slipping for a sec ...so i tried solonoids, and that it worse, and with a couple new symptoms afterwards...like not shifting into 5th and something else too but i cant exactly remember..so then i just bought a refurbished valve body and bolted it in, again with similar symptoms..
Exept now it lost 4th gear too....couldn't figure out wtf was going on..ended up driving in 3rd for about a month b4 i got sick of that piece of shit and then finally just ordered a used transmision and bolted it in...i got it online for around $750 with about 120,000 miles on it...hasn't acted up since then...im not sure what causd new symptoms to apear after replacing with new parts..
But the botom.line in that i just ended . Up bying a replacement transmision...hope this was somewhat helpful

Tags
jerking, maxima, problems, shifting, transmission