Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
05 Maxima Transmission / Shifting Problems Forums > > 05 Maxima Transmission / Shifting Problems 05 Maxima Transmission / Shifting Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 11-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Trouble321

Default Got mine fixed... with a Toyota

Since Nissan was so unwilling to help me with a problem they clearly know about, I traded my Maxima in and got a Toyota.

The good news is, I was able to talk an aquaintance out of getting a new Murano as well. Thats 2 Nissan's not sold now. I only hope others will listen and check around before buying a Nissan.

I tried to explain to Nissan how great word of mouth is...

I will continue to let other people know about their transmission problems and hopefully ensure they get a quality car (obviously not a Nissan)
Old 12-28-2010, 05:44 AM
2005 Maxima

I have a question about the transmissions fluid in a 2005 Nissan Maxima SE. Will it be ok to put Lucas transmission additive in the transmission to help reduce wear and stop hard shifting. This car has 135,000 miles on the transmission. Lucas makes two types on transmission additives. Transmission fluid conditioner and Lucas transmission fix. Which product do you recommend?

Last edited by kypiper01; 01-03-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:11 PM
baughtmon

I have a 2005 Maxima with 68,000 miles on it. The transmission has been acting up but last week it actually would not get out of first gear. Not safe for driving at all. The dealer refused to do anything for me and referred me to Nissan corporate. They also refused to help me. That's it for me. I told them I would never purchase another Nissan. I owned a Chevy that had 120,000 miles on it and I had no problems with it. I can't believe how much I paid for this car and now they want me pay another 3,400 dollars. I called a transmission repair shop (a reputable one), gave them the code from my dealer and they said they could probably fix the car for about $700.00. We'll see what happens. I am taking it from the dealer tomorrow. I will also never buy from this dealer again - Fred Beans in Doylestown, PA.

Transmission needed to be replaced, cost was 3,200 dollars. After filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, I heard from someone in Nissan's arbitration department. They are going to refund all of my money.

Last edited by baughtmon; 03-18-2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: update
Old 03-19-2011, 07:25 AM
2006 Maxima
2009 Maxima

Has anybody tried the Transgo kit? If so what was your experience and costs?

thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 12:18 AM
jessie28

hi. my name is jessica. i am on this forum to let everyone know that i have a 2005 maxima and i am having very bad transmission issues. when i take off it jerks real bad between 1st and 2cnd gear and then when i am slowing down about to come to a stop it also kicks and jerks real bad when it gears down to 1st and 2cnd. and sometimes it just wont go at all..and then when i sit there a min and put my car from park to drive it hesitates for atleast 7 to 10 secs. and then jumps real bad and then goes into drive.it usually does all this when the car is HOT. i bought my maxima 8 months ago used. it now has 92,000 miles on it and when i bought it it had 87,000. well i wanted to say if there is ANYONE who is having these problems to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE contact me! and after you get done reading my comment to PLEASE contact nhtsa.com to file a report about your car. reason why you should contact NHTSA.COM is to file a complaint with them because the person who i spoke with from there told me they have got to have so many complaints about these cars for them to issue a recall on them. there phone numberf is 1-888-327-4236 . the more ppl who call and fill out a complaint the more faster we are to have a recall done! right now there are 182 complaints on there website.-or it may be on safercar.com's website. i also contacted the better business bureau and i have to send them the paperwork for my complaint AND also contacted fox five news. so i will go out of my way and i mean i will do anything to get my car fixed. im not asking for money or a new car, all i asking is for my car to be fixed..and nissan did put a defected transmission in these cars because there are thousandssss and thousandsss of ppl with the same problems as me! please yall, help me with this , i need you to try to work with me on getting these cars fixed..the more people that will be involved with me the more we have a chance at getting our cars fixed. i still owe thousand on my car. i need my car just as much as you do..so please, contact me so we can speed this up and get them fixed! and please as soon as you read this contact nhtsa and file a complaint...OH- also i contacted nissan usa and told them and they said i had to take my car to the dealership to get diagnostics ran and i did and nothing came up in the coputer but he reccomended a tranny flush..i did that also and it didnt fox the problem. so i also would like yall to contact nissanusa and tell them you have tranny problems. they know that this is happening but they woont do ANYTHING! my email is [email protected] and my phone number is 678-860-0548, and please, help! and please contact me...we will get this fixed!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:50 PM
2005 Maxima

Default tranny

I just bought my 05 Maxima from South Point Nissan in Austin TX. 6months ago with 80K and I'm having the same problem with my transmission. I took it to the dealership and they also told me just to do a transmission flush ($160.00). I did it but didn't fix the problem either. I'm very disappointed. Was expecting better quality from Japanese technology.
I will call nisanusa as soon as I can to tell them about the problem.
I will also file the complaint with the NHTSA, along with the faulty door lock actuators.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:35 AM
ddaise

I must say that all described here is not good. I speak from personal experience because as I type this post my wife’s car is currently at a Local Nissan dealership here in Atlanta having the transmission replaced. We purchase our car two years ago. At the time it had 40k, it now has 94k on it overall the engine runs good but the transmission is garbage. It was so bad that we have been looking at new Infiniti another Nissan product (We are suckers for Nissan Products). We were seriously intent on trading it today but on a wild hair decided to call my local dealer this morning just to see if it was covered by a warranty that we were sure was expired. Turns out that this car was a certified vehicle thus it has an 84 months or 100k mile warranty. HA HA what joy we only have to play $50; plus they gave me a brand new Altima to drive while they replaced the trans. 4k and an estimated time of 1 day to replace it. Absolutely incredible, although we are having to pay $1100 for some routine maintenance junk. Anyway my suggestions call your local dealer. You never know, car could be as mine was or perhaps if you purchased it used the original owner may have purchased an extended warranty. Either way it beats 4k any day. Good Luck All!
Old 04-29-2011, 06:25 PM
FL2011ORIDA

I have a 2005 nissan maxima with 67,000 miles on it with the same problems as yours.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:32 PM
FL2011ORIDA

Default 2005 maxima transmission problem

I have a 2005 nissan maxima with 67,000 miles on it and i am having a lot of trouble with the transmission shifting gears and jerking into gear.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Nakisai

Default 2005 Nissan Maxima Transmission Issues

I purchased my 2005 Nissan Maxima in 2007 and have been pleased with it till now. It currently has a little over 98,000 mostly highway miles. Recently it started jerking everytime I slowed down or stopped at a stop light.

When I took it in to the my mechanic, they said I needed a transmission flush and the side and rear engine mounts needed to be changed. I did what was recommended and approximately, $2000 later, the car has started jerking again and this time the check engine light is on. I have been told it's definitely the transmission with an issue. I really love my car and want to fix it and keep it for a long time, but after reading all these posts, I am not very confident with keep this car anymore. Besides, I have a teenager who I was considering purchasing a nissan altima or maxima for but now I am rethinking this whole nissan family of cars.

I am taking my car to the nissan dealership today to see what kind of diagnostics they come up with and how much it will cost me to fix the car. I will post back my findings and experience with them.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Dan859

Default 2005 Maxima Transmission Problem

Does everyone see the common theme as you read on?? I'm a third generation Maxima owner going back to 1987. These cars have always been reliable but this model has been a dog. I should have known better when I discovered the poor stearing radius but thats another story in poor engineering.

My transmission jerks and runs at high RPM's between 2-3 gear and the dealership response was that I had to deal with corporate direct. I'm more fortunate than most that my transmission didn't crap out till over 90,000 miles before being stuck with a huge rebuild expense.

Most people are not reporting these events to the government. I filed a compaint today and was advised I'm only the 283rd customer to lodge this compaint on this transmission issue. If your willing to spend time researching the problem take the next step and let someone know the problem instead of sitting on your hands.

The contact agency info is on another post below (I don;t have it written down) so please take action.

Sorry to all my former Maxima lovers who also feel betrayed by Nissian. I won;t be buying another car from this company.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:58 PM
plavan

Default Unhappy Camper

My maxima05 is shifting really hard between 20-30mph. After reading all of these complaints I feel like screaming. I feel that a class action lawsuit should be filed against Nissan for their carelessness. If anyone has any information on this issue please contact me @ [email protected]
Old 10-22-2011, 09:09 PM
plavan

I just purchased my first nissan maxima 05 and I'm not happy. It only has 83,000 miles on it and the transmission jerks @ 20-30mph. After rerading all of thesse posts I am in AWE, SPEECHLESS! I say we file a class action lawsuit because this is unacceptable from nissan
Old 10-25-2011, 04:57 PM
sumanth

I have the same problem too,,i just bought it about 2 months ago,,thought nissans were reliable,,,did you get any help from nissan.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:52 PM
plavan

No help whatsoever, but I'm having my tranny rebuilt. But I still filed a complaint with the BBB and Other comapny's hoping for a recall. Please take time to do the same!

Tags
jerking, maxima, problems, shifting, transmission