Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
No power locks, dome lights, or rear defroster Forums > > No power locks, dome lights, or rear defroster No power locks, dome lights, or rear defroster
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 08-21-2008, 07:46 PM
jm24

Default No power locks, dome lights, or rear defroster

My keyfob doesn't work (all controls), power lock/unlock switch doesn't work, no dome lights, and no rear defrost. Tested radio, dash lamps, power windows and they were working properly.

Didn't find any specific labeled fuses, but did pull some that I thought were related and they were all good.

Any ideas where to check? Relay?

Mahalo.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:03 PM
jm24

I was able to get some schematics. So, I've checked all the input fuses to the SECU (System Entrance Control Unit) and they were all good. I don't have time today to check the pinout voltages on the SECU harness, but I will tomorrow. It's like half the functions (ignition, windows, etc.) work and the others don't. Battery was 12.69V with no load.

Anybody ever have to replace an SECU? That's gonna suck if I do 'cause then I have to get a new reprogram....
Old 08-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Check the fusible link "i". The fusible link is located in the engine compartment fuse box. If the fuse is OK, try resetting the system by disconnecting the car battery for a few minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
No power locks, dome lights, or rear defroster-figure1-gif   No power locks, dome lights, or rear defroster-figure3-gif  
Old 08-23-2008, 06:43 PM
jm24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Check the fusible link "i". The fusible link is located in the engine compartment fuse box. If the fuse is OK, try resetting the system by disconnecting the car battery for a few minutes.
Appreciate the help.
Today, I replaced the battery and all the 10A and 15A fuses in the fuse box. I checked the M40 harness to the SECU and I measured 12V indicating that there is power to the unit. I checked and the M41 connector to the SECU and I was able to measure 12V for the ignition ACC and ON positions, but never got any 5V readings on any of the door, lock etc. switches. So, it seems as if it's not gettting any signal. I keep looking through the Electrical manual to trace that M41 connector and I'll also look at replacing the 10A fuse in the fusible link (I didn't replace that one yet, but did try the ones that I took out of the fuse box). Other than that, any other ideas?
Old 08-23-2008, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Did you checked the the fusible link? is a 40A fusible link in the engine compartment fuse box.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:53 PM
jm24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Did you checked the the fusible link? is a 40A fusible link in the engine compartment fuse box.
Checked all the fusible links in the fuse box and they all ohmed good.

So, do the 5V signals from M41 connector represent input switch signals? i.e. driver door closed = 5V , driver door open = 0V . I measured M41 and M40 disconnected. Sombody advised that the 5V are produced internally from the SECU. My understanding from the EL manual is that the switches produce the 5V and when the signal changes, it tell the SECU to activate alarm?
Old 11-07-2008, 04:40 AM
Grad-student

Default similar problem

hi Jim,
I have an 05' Sentra and suddenly today the power lock, rear defogger and inside dome light stopped working. I have checked the fuse and they all seem ok. Can you suggest what did you do to fix your car?
Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you
Victor
[email protected]

Old 02-14-2012, 05:44 AM
2002 Pathfinder

Default no clock, no interior lights, no fob operation etc.

How was the issue resolved. Does the SECU have to be replaced?

Thanks,
Pat
Old 05-06-2012, 11:00 AM
2002 Sentra

Default no power locks/remote entry/rear defogger/entry dome light

Hi guys. I removed my driver door console to fix a power window switch and after I reinstalled it, I had the same problem of my power locks not working. After reading these forums, I also noticed my defogger and dome light were out too.

After reading some forums that suggested the SECU was bad, I removed the bottom of my dash under my steering wheel, located the tan box on the right side of the driver footwell, unplugged the two connectors going to it, left them for about 5 seconds, and then plugged them back in. All is well now. It just needed to be reset.

It seems that if you're messing around with any electronics that interface to this box, it might mess it up. Try a simple reset on the box and see if that fixes things.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:04 AM
2002 Sentra

Any updates to this post? Have same issue suddenly! :(
No door locks, no dome lights and no rear defogger. I disconnected the battery with no change. I will check the 40 amp fuses today. I will have to find a younger person to crawl under the dashboard to reset the tan box on the right side of the drivers footwell.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:03 AM
2002 Sentra

40 amp fuses are good! Battery off /on did not work.
Any other suggestions? Please?!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:23 PM
2002 Sentra

Reset the SECU (tan box) by unplugging its connectors and then plugging them back in (see above post). If that doesn't work, your SECU is most likely bad and will need to be replaced.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:00 AM
2002 Sentra

unplugging the connectors and resetting them did not work. :(
Next step is tot get the SECU out of the car... Wait can I drive around without that in the car? I figured to take it out and have it to match up at a dealership or maybe find it on line
Old 06-06-2012, 08:50 PM
2002 Sentra

I'm pretty sure you can safely drive around without it. It seems to only control your keyless entry system and remote trunk release, in addition to a few other accessory functions. Your car isn't going to go into limp mode with this unplugged.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:18 AM
2002 Sentra

Thanks for the quick reply :) I will remove it this weekend and go shopping

Tags
defroster, dome, lights, locks, power, rear