Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Tachometer stopped working followed by smoke and burning smell from dash. Forums > > Tachometer stopped working followed by smoke and burning smell from dash. Tachometer stopped working followed by smoke and burning smell from dash.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 02-23-2013, 03:03 PM
2001 Maxima

Default Tachometer stopped working followed by smoke and burning smell from dash.

I've been having the common issue of my car failing to idle for a few months now. My mechanic said it would be fine to drive until I can get fixed(knowing I need to repair the ECU and replace the IAC simultaneously) as long as I'm fine with accelerating slightly while breaking until the car gets fully warmed up. In this time I've had to take care of other issues including a blown alternator and bad front wheel bearings. The MAF was also replaced initially after the idle began failing.

Made it about five miles today when I noticed a strange smoky smell...My tachometer then fluttered a bit and fell, not moving. The smell intensified as small amount of white smoke came through the vents on the dash. I began to pull over thinking I had blown my transmission and noticed that I could still accelerate fine. Held my breath(excuse the pun) and carefully made it back home. Car starts up fine, however, the tach remains non responsive and the radiator fan moves when the car is off but the key is the ignition. It is a pretty cold day here, whatever that's worth.

Wiring issue? ECU? I'm at a lost. Won't be driving it before I get it towed to the mechanic but I'd appreciate any thoughts & theories on what I'm possibly facing.

Thanks all.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 AM
2000 Maxima
2000 maxima

I'd check the alternator output voltage. Check for vacuum leaks at hoses and manifold gaskets with carb cleaner. Thread-(intermitent start/iddle).

Tags
burning, dash, smell, smoke, stopped, tachometer, working