Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 Maxima Rattle / Rattling 1500 to 2000 RPM Forums > > 2003 Maxima Rattle / Rattling 1500 to 2000 RPM 2003 Maxima Rattle / Rattling 1500 to 2000 RPM
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 05-12-2008, 04:03 PM
3.0bnm

Default 2003 Maxima Rattle / Rattling 1500 to 2000 RPM

Hi, I have a 2003 Nissan Maxima Titanium Edition 6spd. When the car reaches operating temperature and i accelerate, between 1500 & 2000rpm the car makes a rattling noise coming from the engine compartment. When i am below 1500rpm and more than 2000rpm the rattle sound is no longer heard. The sound also becomes louder when the car is going uphill or their is greater load, again when in between that rpm range. I only use 91 octane gas and also only use 5w 30 full synthetic oil. I have no check engine light on and other than the rattle noise the car seems to be running ok. I have taken off the heat sheild, thinking that this could be the problem, but still the sound is their.
The vehicle has 95,000km and the dealer says that Maxima's should get a tune-up at around 160,000km, could this be the problem? When i do get the car tuned up should i use iridium spark plugs or stick with the platinum tipped? has anybody else been experiencing this issue and is their an easy fix for this problem? Also could this problem have anything to do with the timing chain tensioner etc.
Any help would be appreciated as i would like to fix this before it may lead or be the beginning of a much bigger problem.
Thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

hmm interesting i cant think of anything at the momnet but i would check it out . have it scanned ot might help you. can u give us some more symptoms. as for sparks use ngk platnum, some use the iridium them but i would just stick with oem ngk sparks. if it was timiing chain or the tensioner i think it would make more noise. have u had any aftermarket pparts added on or what was the last thing u have doone to the car

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 05-12-2008, 06:03 PM
3.0bnm

No mods done, the car is bone stock. Thing is, it only happens between 1500 & 2000rpm which is very weird. Ive talked to some people and again they say cheap gas, but i strickly put in 91 octane and whenever possible i put 94 octane. Ive read some other posts in different forums and they say maybe timing chain tensioner but not for sure. I dont think its that either because the rattle is isolated between that rpm range. If it were that then the sound would be constant i would imagine (even at idle). First and second gear the sound is not their and if it is i cant hear it, but third, fourth, fifth and sixth gear the rattle is there. Could it be the exhaust manifold or something in the exhaust system (cat) etc. Would a faulty sensor that the ecu (cel) would not pick up on? Maybe motor mounts? but why not at higher rpm's when engine is being stressed even more so. Ive just changed the oil with mobil 1 synthetic 800km ago so its pretty much brand new. Dont know what else to do except for the plugs.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

i would say got to auozone or orylies and have them scan it and see if codes appear. i would also try having a friend listen inthe bay too while u push the gas (either in park or in neutral while holding brake) see if he or you hear anything.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:43 PM
3.0bnm

Vehicle was scanned about 3 months ago with no codes (rattle was there at the time) Just that now it almost seems to be getting a little louder. Is this a common problem with 5.5 generation maxima's. Also a couple of fill ups ago i added octane booster hoping to get the rattle gone but still no luck.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

hmm it might have a burnt something. i would try to put somme 93 octane with out a boostger and see how that goes for u
Old 05-13-2008, 04:06 PM
3.0bnm

Just got back from shop and i replaced all spark plugs with NGK Iridium. I let gas run down low and filled up with Sunoco Ultra 94. Still the sound is there. Mechanic says everything seems to be in good working order and car looks fine. But what the heck is that sound. Is anybody out there with the same problem or anybody got a fix. I dont know were to begin. Mechanic also says that this is a pinging sound rather than a rattle (but it sure is making a rattling noise), and that Nissan's are notorious for this pinging.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

maybe their is not problem i mean engines do make noises and if u are going up a hill and it makes more noise it just because its more work for the car to get up the hill. if u see no power loss or if your mpg hasent changed then its probbably not a major problem just keep riding. their is probably nothing wrong u are just like me when ever i hear a noise that i usually dont hear i think it a major problem.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:44 PM
3.0bnm

Maybe your right, I will add some fuel system cleaner like Redline Fuel Treatment and try to use 94 octane whenever possible (94 is hard to find all the time thats why i mostly use 91) i will keep everyone posted after a while of doing this and let you know if its working or not.

For the time being is anybody body else on this forum getting these symptoms or is this just not a common issue here. I have been on many other threads and forums and this seems to be happening to a lot of other Maxima owners with no suggestions on what to do except run the highest octane gas at all times which i have been doing. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

i would use techron fuel system cleaner its supposed to be really good same stuff they got in chevron fuel and definitly use the highest grade possible when using the system cleaner. i think 91 is good cause i was reading the manual and it said that 91 is good too. u might want to try to stay away from cheap gas though cause even though it cheap its not good quaality like swifty. u might want to use chevron or shell gas since they alread have additives in the fuel that clean the engine. yeh definatly post with your results
Old 06-19-2008, 12:39 PM
schoust

Hmm this is exactly the noise that I am hearing? Have you opened your hood and tried to make this noise by reving the engine? My engine makes the same type of noise right at peak torqueand it to me it does not sound healthy! Mine is not a ping but a metalic noise from the top side of the motor. Is what i describe the same as your noise? We do have differant years though.. Mine is a 96....
Old 06-20-2008, 04:43 AM
atalay

I have the same issue driving me crazy....HELP!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:13 PM
schoust

The more that I investigate this the more I think that my problem is valve train related for sure! Your issue if it is similar do not know? Could be entirely different?? If i were you OI would do my home work on a good foreign car mechanic locally and consult him. Unless you are mechanically inclined and want to try and take it on?? Even if you are if will be tough without the special diagnostic tools............Good luck..
Old 06-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Although you can't manual retard the engine time, the dealer can. Retarding the timing may eliminate or reduce the engine pinging (If the rattle you heard is the engine pinging)
Old 08-01-2008, 09:31 PM
3.0bnm

Maybe im gonna try retarding the engine timing some time next week. Would this procedure be done via computer only or does the mechanic have to get under the hood.

Also would this cause any negative aftermath for the car in the long run, or is this standard usual procedure.

Is anyone out there with this problem or has had this problem in the past and fixed it, what can i do. Oh yeah and im almost certain its not caused by the fuel i use. Thanks

Tags
1500, 2000, 2003, maxima, rattle, rattling, rpm